Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Funny mancubus situation.

This happened to me when I was testing my new Zdoom map.

The corpse is like this:

Then I walk up to it and:

This is in Zdoom 2.3.1 with the scythe2.wad. This is weird.

By the way I am running Doom Builder 2 on Windows XP SP3 with a 256MB Geforce 6200 and 1.5GB of ram and a Athlon 1800+ CPU and it is still very usable and not too slow at all. It is a joy to use.

What is so weird about that? In zdoom every item and monster have z coordinations, so you jump on it.

That bone sticking up there on the left?

Most of you probably think that is the manc's arm.

Is there an engine bug, or you just found these pictures artistic? The corpse object's displacement there looks unusual.

Yeah that happens. you aren't supposed to be able to go over or under things so zdoom can cause things to be physically on top of each other. What is happening is that your height in proportion to the dead macubus height is just a tad bit higher, so when you step under it, it is lifted up (the same way the player elevates when he walks up stairs)

One time I saw a dead cacodemon land on top of another player on coop. He moved to early and the cacodemon dropped to the floor. I wanted to take a screenshot of it and label it "Cacohat" but I was too slow.

But I kinda like it when you kill a cacodemon that lands on a torch or a stalagmite.

I think ZDoom's z clipping treatment (which EE shares btw) is a bit overly concerned with the objects' placements. Since corpses can fit pretty much anywhere, it really shouldn't bother moving them on top of other objects the way it currently does. I have no idea what would have to change to fix that though.

I've seen objects get 'lifted' several feet off the floor from the edge of a crushing ceiling before zapping back down in zdoom as well.

That's nothing. You should try dropping down onto a horde of monsters. If you land right you can be on top of a monster (this assuming you have infinitely tall actors off). Have someone take a screen of THAT.

I have a map where Mancs guard a lift on an upper ledge. They often die on the lines of the lift, which of course causes the corpses to slide around.

Sometimes they slide differently when you lower the lift. The other day I did this and one of the corpses goes WHOOSH over my head and lands on the floor behind me :P

U.O.D. said:

That's nothing. You should try dropping down onto a horde of monsters. If you land right you can be on top of a monster (this assuming you have infinitely tall actors off). Have someone take a screen of THAT.

Heh, you can jump atop monsters relatively easily in ZDoom. Sometimes you can even use them to make a two-time jump to reach normally non-accessible ledges. For example, in MAP01, if you lure the secret courtyard imps next to the outer wall, beyond the water, you can jump on them and then go atop the wall.

Super Jamie said:

You can also open nuts.wad and go monster surfing :D

I used to think that's how you were supposed to beat it.

Actually, in Mock 2, if you try to beat the thing legitimately, there are points where you have to monster surf.

DuckReconMajor said:

Actually, in Mock 2, if you try to beat the thing legitimately, there are points where you have to monster surf.

i.e. The stealth baron congestion at the end stretch of MAP20.