Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorpal

What gamma level do you use?

I'm just curious how "bright" people like their Doom, because I'm working on a very low-light-level map (for my gamma settings), and want to have a general idea of how bright people usually play Doom at so I don't make the lighting too extreme.

Personally, I calibrate my monitor to a pure black image. If at fullscreen there is any haze/halo/anomalies I tune the brightness down until I have just pure black. Then within Doom itself I'm most comfortable with gamma at 1 or 2 depending on the video card (but usually 2 these days).

I normally use gamma 1, though occasionally when a map's too dark for my liking and/or the sun's too bright, I'll use my monitor's "game mode" which is probably around gamma 4.

Whatever my monitor requires. If it's an old CRT with bad specs, then it may even be gamma 3.

Should all levels be tested by their author at gamma 2? Or whatever fancies them?

My usegamma is 0. My LCD monitor is relatively bright and the window is behind it. On a particularly bright day and if the window is open I might raise it to 1 or 2, but that is rare. I can distinguish between black (index 0) and the darkest gray (index 8) in DOOM, so there's no pitch-black for me except in rooms with dark texturing (and monsters will tend to stand out as moving shadows anyway).

My idea of lighting in DOOM is that one must be able to see an opponent across the plasma room in Map01. Playing deathmatch there demands that. Due to that and some speedrunning, I've gotten used to relatively bright setting, compared to what I started with. Back in the day game play was about spamming into dark hallways :p

printz said:
Or whatever fancies them?

That, although it's better to give the player a rough idea of the general brightness used if various areas end up darker than in the original levels.

When playing, I keep the gamma as low as I can stand it. I find most maps look a little too dark on my LCD at gamma 0, so I usually bump it up to 1.

When mapping, I like most sectors to be between 128 and 192. Sectors containing light sources usually get set to 255, and adjacent sectors may have higher than average levels. Rooms without light sources, or with only weak light, usually get 96 or less. I almost never set anything below 64.

When playtesting my maps, I keep gamma set to 0. If some sector seems too dark then it means I need to increase the light level in that sector, or else provide light amp visors. I suppose you could say that I am designing for gamma 0, but see the next paragraph.

I assume that people who play my maps will simply adjust the gamma to whatever they are comfortable with anyway. Every monitor is different, so people will adjust gamma to compensate. In the text file of the map I'm working on currently I mention that players should keep gamma as low as tolerable for the best experience.

I pretty much always have it at 0. I usually assume maps are designed with this gamma level in mind, and turning it up usually makes them look a little ugly IMO. If it is too dark, I just move my laptop somewhere else.

Alright thanks for the input guys. Looks like the consensus is that gamma is avoided in almost all situations.

0. I like the darks to be as dark as they can be.

Gamma correction doesn't appear to make bright areas appear brighter, and dark areas look a burnt washcloth.

I usually use 0-1 for single player/coop and whatever is maximum in the port I use for deathmatch.

zero. one at most, depending on the monitor. gamma makes most maps look like crap, especially those with many brownish textures (and isn't a large part of doom browns of all sorts?). as for better pulling down the window shades: yes, i think that's the way how doom (and other predominantly dark shooters) should be played. it makes the game more immersive.

deathmatch is a completely different story, you want to tweak your graphics for best visibility here.

http://jord.nm.ru/gamma.wad
title screen has greyscale. you should be able to distinguish all of the boxes. background is black. if you cant see all of the dark boxes then your gamma is too low.

to get rid of the yellow background when you press esc set dimamount to 0 and restart the game.

I play with GZDoom, light mode Standard, ambient light set to 0 and in-game gamma at 1.1. All that adjustment makes it much easier to see, without compromising the atmosphere of most levels.

Depends on the monitor and graphics card combo. I've never seen two ones looking alike, even more so in Doom.

On my desktop I use 0. If I'm playing on the laptop, it depends on where I am. In my living room, it's 0. If I'm at the college or something I raise it (but I rarely play at the college).

I use 1.0-1.4, depending on the brightness of the level. Surprisingly 1.0 works very good for me, and I'm on a CRT monitor.

I use 3 in vanilla and 1.6 in Zdoom.

I've used this my whole life and it just feels right. The defaults just seem to dark to me now.