Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leileilol

Fire main weapons

Reading this on the Doom wiki, i've noticed:

Older versions of the setup tool displayed help text for the currently selected item at the bottom of the screen. In the mouse configuration menu, the "Fire" and "Move Forward" items were mistakenly labelled with the help text "Fire main weapons" and "Fire special weapons the[sic] you pickup/buy". As Doom never included "special weapons" or the ability to buy weapons, this suggests that during development of the game there may have been plans for a secondary fire key or the ability to use two weapons simultaneously.

You should know Doom's setup program was derived from Raptor: Call of the Shadows' (which explains the Cygnus Studios copyright in the top right corner. Cygnus has yet to release Raptor at the time). Cygnus, of course would transform into Rogue Ent. and make Strife later with their engine.

Raptor's setup program, no not even in April 1994 they even fixed "the" or even matched the descriptions on the actions right:

Raptor has "main weapons" and "special weapons", therefore the 'tip' was only relevant for that game only which was in development at the time Doom 1.0 shareware came out.

So, I hope that clears that up. It's not a missing feature from Doom.

(Though it would've been cool if you could hold two guns at once, chainsaw and ssg, with dual mouse support (turn on screen edge) and 3 screens anyone? ;D)

Well...(shameful plug) In my mod, you can pull out the pistol or shotgun with the left hand and fire them one-handed, with a loss in accuracy. This saves a bit of time that it would have taken to put away the current weapon.

It would have been really neat to see the original pistol utilized this way, considering doomguy uses it with his left hand.

leileilol said:

Cygnus, of course would transform into Rogue

I was not aware of that!

Cool note, thanks for the history lesson. You should add this to the wiki somewhere.

Super Jamie said:

You should add this to the wiki somewhere.

People create threads here about the wiki content when they don't want to edit it, nor to use the talk pages.

I think Cygnus didn't transform completely into Rogue; parts of them still existed afterwards to make Demonstar. What remained of Cygnus is now called Mountain King Studios, I believe, and they are currently selling Windows-retrofitted versions of Cygnus' old games like Galactix.

WildWeasel said:

I think Cygnus didn't transform completely into Rogue; parts of them still existed afterwards to make Demonstar. What remained of Cygnus is now called Mountain King Studios, I believe, and they are currently selling Windows-retrofitted versions of Cygnus' old games like Galactix.

Not to forget Raptor. I've bought that for Windows after reading an interview at the 3D Realms site, because i have no Joystick for the gameport anymore, and i don't want to play my DOS version with the keyboard.

Super Jamie said:

Get a USB joystick! I prefer to play arcade stuff like that or emulator games with a PS2 Dual Shock and USB converter.

I think he already has one, and the issue lies with the fact that a USB joystick won't be recognized in a DOS game.

WildWeasel said:

I think he already has one, and the issue lies with the fact that a USB joystick won't be recognized in a DOS game.

He's complaining about the Windows version.