Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DuckReconMajor

Upload new version of file but still /newstuff

I thought I read somewhere that if you send in an update to a file in the archives, it would not go into /newstuff to be reviewed. Is there a way to upload a file with the same name as another and request the old one to be deleted so it still gets counted as a new file?

I am not sure that's a rule.

Use the "Update to" line to say what file that you have full rights over should be replaced. You can also upload a text file with a .msg extension and the same base name as your file to inform Ty about anything.

I've seen updates go through the /newstuff directory. People may want to know whether a WAD has had bugs fixed or improvements made to it. Also, Bloodshedder should be able to inform you if any sorts of updates get removed from the review center. I'm guessing it's pointless to review a WAD that had slight changes made to it after a short period, but one with a massive overhaul might merit another review.

I made some blunders with some of the wads that I uploaded a while back that I was hoping to make updates to. I accidentally named some of my file names wrong and I also put the wrong readme in with some of them (just got a bunch of stuff flip-flopped when I was organizing them to be uploaded). There's nothing new/updated in the .wads themselves though, so having them in /newstuff again seems a little silly. Is there a way to bypass /newstuff in this case?

I was actually just going to email Ty about this, but since this thread popped up I figured I'd just ask here. Maybe the info would be useful for someone else as well.

The "Archive Maintainer:" line at the top of the template is meant for brief instructions to Ty. You could probably just write "Please place a copy in /newstuff" or something like that. Then, if you want the updated wad to get another review on Doomworld, Bloodshedder would be the next person to contact.

Edit: Whoops, now there's a post from Mech as well. The advice is the same: just put a sentence-long instruction after "Archive Maintainer:" and Ty will follow it. He's here to serve.

Yeah, there's the "Archive Maintainer" line, but I tend to use that for statements that might retain a meaning after the upload is added, such as the recommended place in the archive, the name and email address of the uploader when it's not the author, or some note explaining something about the file, such as here.

For more temporary notices, a MSG file uploaded alongside the ZIP and TXT files is a better idea, such as "mywad.msg" uploaded with "mywad.zip" and "mywad.txt". Otherwise, the text file starts off with a useless line no one could care about.

If you upload one with the same filename and then Ty replaces the old file with the new, it is not re-entered into the /idgames database and does not end up in the /newstuff Chronicles.

If you use a different filename, it will show up again. This explains why Beautiful Doom has been reviewed like 3 times now. Every time the version number is changed, the creator changes the filename and uploads it again.

It wouldn't need to be "completely re-entered" anyway. I can force the system to re-parse the text file, if it's been changed, and that's about it.