Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eponasoft

Yep...so I'm gonna do one too...

myk said:

What system is that?

FreeBSD 7.2 on an Acer Aspire 3680. There is no MIDI driver for my sound card, or at least none that I know about. There might be one in 8.0 but I haven't upgraded yet. The ironic thing though is that I run Windows 2000 through QEMU (needed for a Nintendo DS project I'm also working on) and the MIDI device there works fine, though a bit slow (QEMU is an emulator after all).

Eponasoft said:

Acer Aspire 3680

That model is already two year old. Knowing the durability of Acer laptops, I'm astounded that it's still working.

I'm guessing TiMidity++ should work for you. It's a software synthesizer, so it uses WAV sound for output and doesn't rely on a card's MIDI driver.

Gez said:

That model is already two year old. Knowing the durability of Acer laptops, I'm astounded that it's still working.

I take exceptionally good care of my computer equipment; down here, it doesn't come cheap. My sister-in-law has one as well, though she runs Windows XP on hers. I used to run XP on mine but got sick of having to constantly repair it, plus all the damn performance problems it brings.

myk said:

I'm guessing TiMidity++ should work for you. It's a software synthesizer, so it uses WAV sound for output and doesn't rely on a card's MIDI driver.

Timidity seems to have some kind of effect in certain source ports. I believe it works in odamex and prboom, for example, since I can hear the original DOOM music there. However, it doesn't seem to have any effect in Vavoom despite it having support for it.

Just a quick little update...I have MAP03 finishable but not totally complete. I also began work on the new MAP01. Also, I imported one new brick texture, and brought in a new dead tree sprite. Now that I totally understand lifts and raise/lower floor, I can make things a lot more interactive and interesting. Note though that I am not a fan of crushing ceilings so I am unlikely to use those very often. Also, I got PSP7 installed and running through Wine, so now I don't have to use GIMP anymore if I don't want to. It's fine for some things, but some of the basics are just out of its league (such as converting an image to 8 bit color when it uses a 4 bit palette). With PSP7 installed, the retexturing process is going to go MUCH faster.

Here's an early shot of the beginning of the pwad. You start out in a village that has been assaulted by enemies. All around the village are fires and corpses. There are many houses in the village which you can enter and some which you can't. The village is on the outskirts of a kingdom, and beyond the village lies a massive castle, which is the basis for the first few levels of the game. I haven't done the castle part of MAP01 yet, as I just started on the village part last night, but so far so good.