Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Hexen PS1

I had the opportunity to buy Hexen for PS1 earlier today but opted for something else because I seem to remember the game got mediocre ratings. Anyone know why this is?

Well, two things that I found annoying in PSX Hexen was that it ran at a constant 10fps and it required all 15 blocks on the memory card to save.

Yeesh. Forget that then.
Hell, I can't even have Doom on PS1 with proper features. Want some splitscreen multiplayer? Well we can easily manage it on Quake 2, but Doom, not so much.

The PSX version of HeXen also has simpler level design and front facing only graphics for enemies, even though they actually still seem to have facing directions.

That said, it also has cut scenes instead of text screens (and an intro cut scene). It also features a slightly redone Redbook music score to the PC HeXen CD.

HeXen PSX intro cut scene and 1st Hub game play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qiM2wePnCM

The N64 version of HeXen perhaps is the best console port of HeXen as it features all rotations for bad guys and non-simplified levels. However, you lose some of the sound effects.

Though it doesn't feature cut scenes like the PSX version, you instead get a paragraph of text on every maps (i.e. not just at the end of each hub) loading screen giving some additional back story to the location. It also has a slightly remixed soundtrack.

HeXen64 intro and 1st Hub game play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6v3-uqYjF0

My friend and I bought both version back in the day, he had a PSX and I have Saturn version. The saturn version has richer graphics and better framerate, and the sound effect are clearer too. I just played through the whole thing recently when Epyo started his Hexen blog. There are some simplification to the maps, but nothing too drastic, and the baddies have only facing graphics in that version too.
The other crappy thing is the Saturn version can't save at all unless you have a memory cartridge, but it does have a fully functional password system that retains all your items and shit.

Kaiser said:
Well, two things that I found annoying in PSX Hexen was that it ran at a constant 10fps and it required all 15 blocks on the memory card to save.

Heh, that was my first thought as well. I did still manage to beat it though before I got the PC version.

Use3D said:

The other crappy thing is the Saturn version can't save at all unless you have a memory cartridge, but it does have a fully functional password system that retains all your items and shit.

Really? I have this game but haven't been willing to play it because of this. Does the password only change after you have finished a Hub, or get to a new level in the hub, Because I don't want to start something that will get erased when I turn off the console.

As for the original topic, the PSX version of Hexen is the only port I don't have. The Saturn and N64 versions are really good though, and watching some videos of the PSX version makes me think it doesn't look that bad either. I don't know though, as I'm not really picky on framerate. I'll probably get it soon though.

Some of those PSX Hexen cutscenes look pretty cool. I like how the ending one is just a spoken version of the normal end text with a bit of animation too.

So is there any Doom clone worth buying on a console? I mean, considering I already have them on PC, the only advantages would be obvious.

Bucket said:

So is there any Doom clone worth buying on a console? I mean, considering I already have them on PC, the only advantages would be obvious.

None of them really stand out to me, except for Quake on the N64, but that isn't really a doom clone.

Gez said:

lol @ youtube comments. "3) The final boss is the Mother Demon."

That's actually Elbryan himself who say that. Which is interesting since you' think he should know better.

Maybe he's just being funny. Since the question was a little silly and out of place amongst the others the poster asked: "Does HeXen have a boss. If so who/what is he"

Ahh I remember the playstation version, the one with the long boring ass loading screens, too much memory for your memory card and no muliplayer whatsoever. Luckily later on in time I bought Hexen for the N64 which is WAY better than the PS version :P