Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

I think this is how you do ladders

I read this somewhere but I forgot where, but I remeber it pretty well.

BASICS OF BUILDING A LADDER IN DOOM

First you choose your textures, simple. Then you decide how tall the ladder is going to be, build everything around it. Now make the wall jut out a little. Then adjust behind it to about .5 each time, slight enough that its not noticable and VIOLA.

Thats the basics, I think I got that shit right, pretty easy if you ask me...

I read this somewhere but I forgot where, but I remeber it pretty well.

BASICS OF BUILDING A LADDER IN DOOM

First you choose your textures, simple. Then you decide how tall the ladder is going to be, build everything around it. Now make the wall jut out a little. Then adjust behind it to about .5 each time, slight enough that its not noticable and VIOLA.

Thats the basics, I think I got that shit right, pretty easy if you ask me...

I didn't understand a word of that... anyway, a ladder in vanilla doom is basicly a staircase with very shallow (1 unit) steps and a suitable texture, the best examples can be found in Eternal Doom.

A better looking way is to make the stairs invisible and use a transparent ladder middle texture.

Here is a small example wad.

I didn't understand a word of that... anyway, a ladder in vanilla doom is basicly a staircase with very shallow (1 unit) steps and a suitable texture, the best examples can be found in Eternal Doom.[/quote]Hahaha, I did, he plays in an orchestra, or plays string instruments while he builds wads...whatever.

1 is the smallest unit in Doom, cant make it any thinner than that.

True, except that you can make diagonal walls, which makes it possible to put two 1-high triangular sectors inside a rectangular shape. Dunno how the engine handles that though.

Alls I'd do if I was using Zdoom was use the water spot thing in a small sector just in front of the ladder... the only that sucks about that is that it starts to hurt you after a while.... oh yeah, and to make sure they dont just keep swimming up beyond the ladder, put an invisible bridge thing just above where you want the top of the ladder to be, give enough room for the player to move out...

What I do in any boom derivative port (including Zdoom) is build a traditional staircase ladder (with a ladder texture in front of it), and then use a transfer sector heights line special to make the step sectors look like the main sector surrounding them (thus making them invisible).

This means no unclosed sector errors (or other errors) when checking the level.

Using ZDoom an idea would be to put a ladder texture on the lower part, and attached to that, an invisisible(ish) sector that rises X units whenever you +use it then falls back when you leave.... however you wouldn't be able to climb back down again unless you managed to make some 1337 scripting...

Nah, the way I do ladders now works fine with the water spot thing, and an invisible bridge thing to block movement way HIGH into the sky.... the only thing I am wondering is if there was some way to change the sector damage set by remaining "in the water" to long, or rather, in a sector that has the water spot in it... OR, maybe just have a script keep calling out to that sector setting sector damage to 0....

IIRC ladders were like that in Tekwar but they failed miserably, i.e. you could rise to the top of the level, fall down and die even if you let yourself go off the ladder in the place you were supposed to.

sector damage set by remaining "in the water" to long

Retarded. You're a space marine wearing a vacuum-proof suit and helmet, most certainly featuring life supplies and oxygen tanks. Drowning? Pah.

Hey, it's not MY fault they decided to add underwater damage.. besides, it's pretty cool in some ways.... BUT if anyone knows how to change it, so that it won't damage the player, let me know....