Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ra02

Doom-like graphics

Hi, I couldn't fit my question into the topic title so here it is:
I need someone who is good at making doomlike graphics. What I exactly mean is that I need someone who can make some pictures (road signs) remake to a doomlike. You know so it would graphically fit into the game, I don't want high quality textures, but I don't know how to create that effect. So could anyone help me?

Yeah I maybe at service for you. Need anything specific? Roadsigns?

yeah some specific, if you want to help me create and if you do have MSN please PM me, or if you don't have MSN just PM me anyways and I'll tell you the details, thanks :)

I'm particularly good at such things, so I might be of service depending on the amount of work you need done. If you can, post a list of types of signs you need (like what they need to say, or what shapes/colors you need), and I'll see if there is anything I can come up with.

it would be great if you compile those textures and upload them somewhere when they are finished, I m also interested.

Ok so I will post a picture with the signs that I want to have made.
But just the signs them selves are in one. You will have to make the pole for the signs tho. You can all try to make, I will see then which one is the best. Here is the pic, but these are our (Slovakian/European) road signs:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9587/signsy.jpg
Thanks for helping, I appreciate it

Pretty tough working with such a small scale. I did manage to pull a bit of it off rather well using stock textures as a base (so it ties in with the whole Doom feel). Here are 8 varieties of the round red signs that I did in the last hour. I'll work on some of the blue rectangular ones later tonight, as well as a pole to stick them on.

Awesome work, that's exactly what I was looking for. Good job for now, can't wait to see others.

Here's a blue set:

I'll do some odds and ends a bit probably tomorrow. I'm trying to pace myself a bit, because I have a lot of other things I'm working on. Do you by chance need highway signs, those larger green signs with directions on them that they place above overpasses? If so, give me some "locations" and how far they are, and I could cook up some different varieties for you to work with.

Those look good but I think you've overlooked something, those blue with arrows pointing left/right should be in the circle with cross stripe. I don't think I will need the highways signs, but thanks for the work atm. Just try to make those I've uploaded in the pic. I like that you add some of your own thoughts but rather concentrate on those in the pic but meanwhile you can also do yours, I like them all

Ah, so you want a direct interpretation of all those in the image? I was just trying to go for something kinda generic, but it's no problem, I can go back and fill in the missing gaps. What sort of wad are you trying to do? Is it one of those maps that tries to resemble a real-world location?

Shouldn't the circles be a bit more squashed? Doom pixels are 25% taller than they're wide (a graphic that's 4x4 pixel in the image will appear as 4x5 pixel on the screen).

EarthQuake said:

Ah, so you want a direct interpretation of all those in the image? I was just trying to go for something kinda generic, but it's no problem, I can go back and fill in the missing gaps. What sort of wad are you trying to do? Is it one of those maps that tries to resemble a real-world location?

Yes I want those from the picture but doing some generic isn't bad, you can continue doing those generic but try to focus on those in the image. The wad I am planning to do is that you will start in a house/mansion then you go down the road to the city (where most of the signs will be used) afterward to the highway so I guess I will need those highway signs (but those later, when I will be at that point I'll PM you if you wont mind) during some road travel there will be few abandoned areas you'll go through then you finally reach the research facility or something like that and then I'll decide what next. But those signs could be useful for something else later too, you could upload it to realm667 more user may find it useful too.

Gez said:

Shouldn't the circles be a bit more squashed? Doom pixels are 25% taller than they're wide (a graphic that's 4x4 pixel in the image will appear as 4x5 pixel on the screen).

yeah but I'm sure EarthQuake tested it before. Or he can, that way he will find out how it will look like in-game.

Gez said:

Depends on the aspect ratio used. It's not in the best interest of most people to worry about those things when creating graphics for Doom. My reason being is that fireball sprites in Doom are "perfectly round". They're not skewed to compensate for the pixel aspect ratio.

Why bother when it's not going to have a significant impact in the first place? It's going to look skewed for someone out there no matter how I do them.

That shouldn't be a problem, it also depends on the angle you look at it in the game.

I'd do what Gez says. Any engines not adjusting rendered areas properly when using unusual aspect ratios are doing it wrong, in any case.

Ra02, you should find someone to do it "correctly". I don't particularly care right now, sorry. Feel free to do whatever you want with the graphics I did create though. I don't even want credit.

Without the poles I can't do anything since I can't draw like that. Well guess its open again. Anyone who would like to help me?

Well forget it, I'm closing this topic since no one is gonna help me (free). I have to specially thank EarthQuake at least he tried.