Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

Claustrophobia 1024 2: :[Released!]:

Claustrophobia 1024 2 is now done! A yet an other 1024 mapset based on extra maps from the original Claustrophobia 1024 is finished, featuring 34 Boom maps, some brand new, some improved versions of the extra maps originally submitted to Claustrophobia 1024. Since pictures are worth a thousand words, you can find screenshots from each map here, together with a full map list.

The wad will be uploaded to the archives later today, and I'll update this OP later with an idgames link. But for now, you can download Claus 2 from this link (or from the screenshot page linked above):
Download!
Idgames!

Special thanks go to Mechadon for giving this project his permission, and to Kyka and hawkwind for staying there until the very end of the testing phase. Without you guys none of this would have been possible. :D

I've never tested a wad extensively outside of my own stuff, but I am definitely interested. Sign me up. :)

I'm interested, count me in. I am having surgery on the 30th, so I may be out for a several days after. But I should be able to manage testing.

You already know this Jodwin, but I'll post anyway. I am in for some testing :D

Claustrophobia 1024 was a sequel to Congestion 1024, so calling it "Clautrophobia 2" is sort of like calling... oh, nevermind.

Fiend said:

Claustrophobia 1024 was a sequel to Congestion 1024, so calling it "Clautrophobia 2" is sort of like calling... oh, nevermind.

There are precedents. For example:

Elite -> Frontier: Elite 2 -> Frontier 2: First Encounters

Dark Forces -> Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 -> Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

Fiend said:

26 of the maps are originally from (but were left out for a reason or an other) Claustrophobia, so calling it "Claus 2" isn't completely without reason.

Besides, it is a better name than "The Claustrophobia Overflow Wad." :P

I think it would be better to get an entirely new word.

I mean we already have Congestion 1024 and Claustrophobia 1024.

Something like "Constriction 1024" would be cool

then you would have:

Congestion 1024
Claustrophobia 1024
Constriction 1024

They would form a kind of trilogy. Like the Lord of the Rings, but for 1024 levels.

And then a little after that you could release "Final 1024" with all meagawads in one cool package. And then you could release "Ultimate 1024", which would bring episodic gaming to the 1024 franchise. o_0

Anyway, I'll stop here. But I do like the idea of a new name for the mapset. And that is my 0.02 right there.

Kyka said:

but for 1024 levels.

That's quite a lot. ;)

Kyka said:

And then a little after that you could release "Final 1024" with all meagawads in one cool package. And then you could release "Ultimate 1024", which would bring episodic gaming to the 1024 franchise. o_0

Shouldn't Ultimate come first, with a brand new fourth "episode", and then Final with two brand new "four episode packs"? :)

The name "Claus 2" was decided quite a while ago between me and Mech, and unless something weird happens it'll most likely stay. Because of the wad's connection to the original Claus, maybe thinking of it more as "Claus part 2" would make more sense...

Having a completely different name for it wouldn't be a bad idea normally. But as was already stated by Jodwin, this set of maps is very heavily connected to Claus1024, thus the name :).

Anyways, I'm glad this made it to 32 maps! I'm contemplating whether or not I want to help test right now. Part of me wants to help out, but the other part of me wants to be surprised when it comes out :p

Mechadon said:

Having a completely different name for it wouldn't be a bad idea normally. But as was already stated by Jodwin, this set of maps is very heavily connected to Claus1024, thus the name :).

I want to suggest the lamest clever name ever formulated: Santaphobia 1024. :p

Gez said:

I want to suggest the lamest clever name ever formulated: Santaphobia 1024. :p

DAMN! I knew I should have put a Santa in the ENDOOM :(

Someone should just make an ice-themed 1024 map and call it Santa Claustrophobia 1024.

I'd like to run through this wad if you still need testers, by the by.

Kyka said:

that would be claustrophobia 2009, claustrophobia 2010 and so on...

Torr Samaho said:

that would be claustrophobia 2009, claustrophobia 2010 and so on...

claustrophobia 1024 2009 2

Kyka said:

I think it would be better to get an entirely new word.

I mean we already have Congestion 1024 and Claustrophobia 1024.

Something like "Constriction 1024" would be cool

then you would have:

Congestion 1024
Claustrophobia 1024
Constriction 1024

They would form a kind of trilogy. Like the Lord of the Rings, but for 1024 levels.

LOL. and who could work on it, the zdoom forums(since congestion was for newdoom.com, claus for doomworld.com\aki no mori forums, it could be the natural evolution of the thing)? Whatever nice idea, a smile compares in my face

Jimmy91 said:

Er, is it too late to sign up for testing? :?

Heh, well I guess I can fit one more in. :) (that'll be total of 11, so no more)

Well, here are my reports for the first six maps, in the same format as last time. The source port I used was PrBoom+ 2.5.0.3 -complevel 9 (Boom.exe compatibility).

MAP01: Poliganoy -
* 100% Kills possible: Yes
* 100% Items possible: Yes
* 100% Secrets possible: Yes
* Completable from pistol start: Yes
* Fits within 1024×1024: Yes
* Two problems with the imps in the southwest of this level:

1. They're too far away to have any effect on the fighting inside the building. In fact, the only reason I noticed and killed them was because I killed everything else in the map, reached the exit, and noticed there were still four monsters left.
  2. The lowest imp cannot be attacked if you're standing right up against the western window.
* There is a rather obviously misaligned texture when you activate the crate elevators to the red key.
Spoiler

* The secret area in this level is rather painfully obvious. Maybe this was intentional; if you fail to notice it before hitting the switch, it becomes unreachable.

MAP02: Corrosion -
* Fits within 1024×1024: Yes (912×1024, to be precise)
* Harder than the previous level due to the general lack of health pickups. Fortunately, this isn't like E4M1. :p
* The texture on linedef 1037 does not move with the wall when it lowers.
Spoiler

* Your reward for finding the secret area? A single medikit. Granted, with the general lack of health in this level, you can probably call this a reward.

MAP03: Tekno1000 -
* The texturing makes me think of this level as Break the Chain II. ;)
* Where is the music in this level from?
* I accidentally ran past the shotgun in the imp ambush hallway the first time I played this. It's probably just me being a dolt, but yeah.

MAP04: 666 Feet Under -
* Is there a point to the cacodemon in the first room? You can run right past him and take out the last monsters in the level without him affecting you.
* The imp in the southwest of the level (thing 9) is potentially easy to miss, given how high up he is compared to the player and the darkness of the area.
Spoiler

* Are you sure the secret area is really secret? I mean, it's an ordinary monster closet...

MAP05: Enough Space? -
* In Boom, the "space" effect still produces terrifying Hall of Mirrors effects.
* The Duke Nukem 3D Access/Locked graphic still doesn't make much sense as a repeatable door-opening switch.
* The barrel in the hole is still visible through the floor. It also still blocks your path when you run across the hall unless you're using a source port that lets you turn off "infinitely tall" actors.
Spoiler

* The backpack secret is still given away on the automap by being a different color than the other parts of the hallway. In addition, the secret lift-door's texture still does not move with the lift-door when it opens, the ceiling texture of the door still sticks out like a sore thumb, and the floor texture of the door still does not blend in with the alcove. Perhaps FMTSQN04 for both the ceiling and floor of that sector (sector 421) would look better.

* Why, yes, there's a theme to this report; why do you ask?
* That said, the hazard-striped railings are smaller than I remember them being, although it's still easy to get stuck on them.
* There's also what looks like a misaligned texture in the yellow key room.

MAP06: Severed Survival -
* 100% Kills possible: No (see comments)
* 100% Kills is impossible on this level, because an arch-vile meant to teleport into the level (thing 223) never does. There's a door that opens to release him, and a lot of teleport lines in his little room, so what happened? As it turns out, the floor underneath the arch-vile lowers, but not that of the door, leaving him stranded in his storage sector, unable to move. This can be fixed by making the sector under the arch-vile a new, untagged sector; in DB2, you can enter "Make Sector" mode and click on the room he's in to make it a new sector.
* Where is the music in this level from?
Spoiler

* The secret area is given away on the automap by being a different color than the rest of the wall. Given that it's not marked in any other way, however, maybe this was intentional.

I'm going to post my impressions for each map in 5 map clusters.

Tested with: PrBoom 2.5.0, Hurt Me Plenty, Pistol start on every map. Edit Will set complevel next time like Green Herring.

Initial Impressions: This is very good so far. The detailing is good without being restrictive for the most part. I haven't noticed any major visual problems or bugs yet. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the maps.

Map Impressions:

1. Map 01 - Great starting map. Very clean and good looking. The use of Duke textures is very nice. A great start for the megawad. Edit: Odd visual bug: here.
  2. Map 02 - Nice looking, fairly average overall. I mean that in a good way. Difficulty seems a little unbalanced at the start. The berserk helps, but I feel that adding a few stimpacks might help. Once you reach roughly halfway into the map, it balances out. Not much of a problem, though.
  3. Map 03 - Very good map. Details are clean and nice looking without being excessive or restrictive. I was honestly surprised by how much map was stuffed into such a small space, heh. It felt much bigger that it really was.
  4. Map 04 - Good looking map, nice start with the chainsaw. Very short, however. I was surprised by that, even given the limitations. It took me forever to find the switch that opened the way back to the start of map for some reason.
  5. Map 05 - Good looking but very cramped. It took me a lot of tries from a pistol start to even finish this due to tricky Revenant and Hell Knight placement. Honestly, if I wasn't a tester, I would skip this map. The monster placement and cramped corridors made it frustrating to play. It's not a bad map, however, just frustrating. I started to warm up to it once I got more familiar with it. This was the only map I noticed a visual bug on, possibly a slime trail. Here is a screenshot of it. The red arrow shows where it is.

Keep in mind I'm an average to below average Doom player, so that might have factored into my opinions.

Edit: Updated post with some more impressions.

no problem, i'll see to fix the bugs in that maps (but if some one already works to fix my few errors, hey, there's no deal ^_^!)