Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

Claustrophobia 1024 2: :[Released!]:

hawkwind said:

Beat me to it. I was just going to report that it looked ok to me. Interesting, I also did a quick check in zdoom 2.3.1 r2014 dec 2 and it renders fine here. Kyka, what version of zdoom did you test this with ? Have you modified the map in any way before ?

I am using standard ZDoom 2.3.1, with ACC 1.48 off the ZDoom website.

The only other thing it could be is I recently have been playing a Wolfenstein 3D remake for GZDoom. I played it on ZDoom (it ran fine but all the secrets, being things and not sectors) didn't render in ZDoom. Anyway, the point is, this Wolfenstein mod has permanently changed some things in the ZDoom config, which now runs all wads with certain changes. (The menu screen background is plain blood red, the exit screen is different, ZDoom no longer prints "You have found a secret" , automap is recolored and a few other minor changes.) Even reinstalling ZDoom has not rectified this yet, as well as manually deleting all the Wolfenstein files from my ZDoom folder. Go figure.

And no I hadn't modified the map itself in any way.

MAP 26
------
-linedef 113 is still causing a minor HOM. No idea why. Perhaps just moving the linedef around will fix it. Screenie

100% Kills: Yes
100% Items: Yes
100% Secrets: No Secrets.

MAP 27
--------
-I would make Seectors 26 and 49 have a lift (lower wait raise) tag on their outer sidedefs so as people can get out of the hellslime. Seems a little harsh. If you fall in, losing some health would be better than death I think.

-Screenie
-Screenie Still that weird glitch. It only happens just with that one cacodemon that teleports in from linedef 2460. Probably a ZDoom rendering thing, so not sure what could be done about it. The offending linedef is already impassable.

MAP 28
--------
-I think the shoot switches at linedefs 3082 and 3077 could just be regular switches. I wandered around lost for a while trying to work out what to do. Good thing I had DoomBuilder open while I playtest :P
-I do like the solution you came up with for if an archvile throws you up onto one of those outer platforms in ZDoom. Neat :)
-Still not sold on the fact that switch at linedef 3003 is accessible from the start. Ok it doesn't do anything til the right time, but you could just make linedef 3011 lower a barrier in front of the switch at sector 296, instead of that linedef raising the switch itself out of the ground.

Two more maps to go, which I will do tomorrow. :)

Kyka said:

-I do like the solution you came up with for if an archvile throws you up onto one of those outer platforms in ZDoom. Neat :)

Heh, it was pretty easy to get outside of the 1024-area in Boom also, if you got hit by an arch-vile while you're on the higher platform the blast could easily throw you over (in ZDoom the blast throws you higher, but in Boom there's a fast momentum directly away from the arch-vile - this actually makes map30 a bit harder in Boom since to get on the switch platforms you need to position yourself properly between the attacking AV and the target platform)

edit:
As for the shoot switches, the point is to force the player to wake the monsters up.

Kyka said:

I am using standard ZDoom 2.3.1, with ACC 1.48 off the ZDoom website.

And no I hadn't modified the map itself in any way.

It's zdoom. The glitch even occurs in zdoom 1.22 ! So zdoom is wrong with this type of offset ( or zdoom is right and all other ports are wrong ... but I doubt it )

Kyka said:

MAP 26
------
-linedef 113 is still causing a minor HOM. No idea why.

I've found a solution to this.

1. copy linedef 129.
2. paste linedef 129 between vertices 2943 and 87, stitching vertices.
3. make this new rectangular sector 24x8 a dedicated new sector.
4. give the new sector f_sky1 for both floor and ceiling, making both heights -32.
5. Rebuild nodes and save.

I'm sorry to post this so late, but I'm not going to be able to fulfill my duty as a tester. I know this is obvious, but I thought I would let you know anyway.

I was unable to complete testing because I was bogged down with things in real life. I just sort of forgot about this project, and by the time I remembered it again it was too late.

I apologize for not holding up my end of the bargain. This is a great project full of talented people and I really look forward to the full release. Thank you for letting me play these maps so early.

Sorry I didn't finish playtesting all the levels in the last version. I was very busy with my college semester at the time. And then after the semester ended, I ended up completely forgetting about this as I ended up getting busy with other things, like finishing Year 22 (which I had promised myself to do before the end of the year.)

I understand that it's basically too late to do anything now. But here are the testing notes that did get written for v1, where I tested using PrBoom+ with -complevel 9:

MAP02: Corrosion -
100% Kills possible: Yes
100% Items possible: Yes
100% Secrets possible: Yes
* Linedefs 1038 and 1044 are set as lower-unpegged, which causes the brick textures on them to move with the floor of sector 208 when it lowers. It looks really ugly.

MAP03: Tekno1000 -

Spoiler

* When you open the berserk pack secret via that monitor, there is nothing to indicate that pressing the monitor did anything, other than a faint teleporter noise which might just seem like a monster teleporting into the level to a first-time player. Having a switch texture anywhere on a switch linedef results in a switch sound when you activate it; thus, you can set a switch texture as the upper or lower texture of a one-sided switch line (linedef 972 in this case,) and you'll hear a switch sound when you use it even if the switch texture is not visible.

MAP05: Enough Space? -
* One of the corpses in the restroom is placed close enough to one of the stall doors that when you open it, the body teleports on top of it, and is promptly carried down and up. It looks really silly.
* The monster teleporters are quite slow.

MAP11: A Minor Doomsday -
* A strange phenomenon can be observed in this level. At the spot where the hell knight teleports outside the techbase (where you get the yellow key,) teleport sparks will appear at the spot he arrived on again and again. This is because in deep water, the teleport spark effect is affected by conveyor belts, and somehow, the teleport spark can use teleport lines! A quick, easy way to prevent this without affecting the speed at which the hell knight will appear is by changing sector 521's tag from 25 to 24.
* Some of the monster teleporters can be slow. Case in point:
Spoiler

After I killed the first cacodemon that appears when you get the red key, I ran back into the building -- and the second one teleported in behind me, because I ran across the spot it was supposed to teleport on just before it could.

MAP13: The Blood Factory -
100% Kills possible: No (see comments)
* One mancubus (Thing 97) cannot teleport into the level because the teleport line is much too close to the wall for him to reach. In the previous beta, this space was a lot wider.

Snarboo said:

I'm sorry to post this so late, but I'm not going to be able to fulfill my duty as a tester. I know this is obvious, but I thought I would let you know anyway.

I was unable to complete testing because I was bogged down with things in real life. I just sort of forgot about this project, and by the time I remembered it again it was too late.

I apologize for not holding up my end of the bargain. This is a great project full of talented people and I really look forward to the full release. Thank you for letting me play these maps so early.

All good. :) Good luck with the 1994 tune up mapset too. Now that is a mapset I am definitely looking forward to.

Anyway, time to finish the playtesting thing.

MAP 29.
--------

General.
-An excellent second to last level. Brutal, gritty and gothic. Not for the faint of heart. I like this level a lot.
-there is more ammo yeah than the last version? The gameplay felt slightly more balanced to me. (Not that it was bad in the first place, it just leaves slightly more room for error now. Which is a good thing.)
-linedefs 5332, 5333, 5334, 5335, 5338, 5339, 5340 have their midtextures extending into the ceiling. (Though to be fair, you can only just see it. Unless you use mouselook, of course. So probably no one is ever going to notice it. But I will mention it, just for the sake of completeness.)

MAP 30
---------

Glad there is not the heartstopping framerate destroying lag on this level now. it plays pretty well overall. I don't suppose it is possible to do anything about that vertical black line that marks the border on the pale brown sky texture? Probably not easily.

Few issues here.
-Screenie
-Screenie
Thing 978, for some reason is crushed like this. (This was right near the end of the level that I noticed this. I cannot figure out why this is doing this at all.

-I ran completely out of ammo on this level. Two reasons for this. firstly, I don't think there is enough shotty ammo on this level. There should be probably another 4 boxes I think, spread around the level, perhaps in the corners on pillars like the health and ammo is.
Secondly there is this:
Screenie
Screenie
This ammo is not teleporting into the level.

That is all I found.

Kills: 99% (Several times through, and I always seemed to get 99%), though this is hardly a problem for a level 30.
Items:100%
Secrets: No secrets.

MAP 30
--------

-Forgot to mention, linedef 2036 has ASHWALL2 on its upper front side.

I've discovered why in map 11, that the texture on line 82 rendered different in-game as against DoomBuilder. There are two SUPPORT2 textures in the TEXTURE1 lump ! One is 24x128, which DoomBuilder displays, while the other is 64x128, which all ports and DeepSea display.

What I did was to simply rename the larger 64x128 texture to SUPORT2A, and then SUPPORT2 rendered correctly in DoomBuilder and in-game.

A shame, because the 64x128 version renders better in-game, as it renders without that horizontal border line. Probably too late to fix for better rendering, and might affect other levels.

Congrats, sorry I dropped out after only a few testings, I felt TGH, kyka, and hawkwind were hitting the problems more thoroughly than me so I didn't think I was needed (and was proven right I guess ;)

Had a quick playthrough, inspection and whatnot. The kind where I just simply god-mode and play through most of them (played several before). Think there are still bugs lurking around in some of the maps, i.e. Daimon's maps, where I couldn't finish them since some doors wouldn't open or else so I simply skipped. It could just be me though. Gzdoom was the port.

Thought overall it seemed to be alright; general gameplay flow isn't as good as the first two 1024s. I really liked Map29's design but didn't like the fact that the door closed behind me at the end (closing out the cyber) which would prevent UV max from happening.
And Map30 is sick. Really nice job 'morky. :o)

Good work guys!

Joshy said:

Think there are still bugs lurking around in some of the maps, i.e. Daimon's maps

Could you be a bit more specific? The maps were tested in ZDoom too, and Daimon's maps were a bit more on the switch hunt side so it might have been something you missed too.

Another epic megawad...also 1024 mapsets tends to have epic MIDI. Gotta love Bark at the moon on map34.

Played the first half of maps. Overall seems a bit harder, and the flow is weird. A hellish map on map 04? And there are still a couple of silly bugs here and there that should get hotfixed ASAP.

Well after a quick look in this megawad, I declare that this is just as good(or better?)as the original Claustrophobia 1024.

Talvi said:

And there are still a couple of silly bugs here and there that should get hotfixed ASAP.

Please, don't just say that there are still bugs to be fixed. Tell us the bug(s) in detail - map number, sector, linedef number etc. We aren't mind readers !

33 looks challenging/fun. Havn't tried all the others yet. 30 is missing a bfg (if I remember) and reverents telefrag the icons for some reason now (complevel 9 at least). Just mentioning since people asked for specific bugs, but I don't really care since I stopped hassling with the group edit process (and its so edited from the original anyway).

gggmork said:

30 is missing a bfg (if I remember) and reverents telefrag the icons for some reason now (complevel 9 at least).

The BFG wasn't teleporting in any of the versions I got - Kyka noticed that it was in the map during the testing, and I thought that you had somehow intentionally made it to not teleport. I ended up making a compromise and made the BFG teleport in on easy and medium and left it out on UV, thinking that that it was the original intention to not have it on UV.

The revenant telefrag was also in there all the time from what I can tell - at least on complevel 9. The revenants don't telefrag anything in ZDoom, instead for some reason one of the last revenants gets stuck in a wall of the teleport sector (but not in Boom, obviously). No idea why that's happening, since there's no momentum-applying stuff on the teleport sector, and the revenants are just normal, awakened revenants.

Yeah, if people do counter bugs it would be more useful to hear where and what they are. I'll most likely make a fixed release, eventually, though I can't give any kind of estimations on dates. Probably a few months from now, at the very least. There'll also be the issue of demo compatibility, so I'm going to try to keep the fixes as such that compatibility will be kept, if possible.