Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Joshy

Voodoo dolls in Co-operative mode

As this issue was raised in the Whispers of Satan thread, I'd like a clearer idea on how voodoo dolls work in co-operative. I tried a quick search for how it all works but to no avail.

Right now, I am working on a megawad project (Speed of Doom) which is near completion. It is a boom compatible project that heavily uses voodoo dolls for scroll floor scripting. Can voodoo dolls work in co-operative or not? Is there an alternative to make the scrolling floor scripting work? Or does it all depend on what port you use for multiplayer. I have never played any sort of multiplayer in doom so that would explain my incomplete knowledge of the functions. Any input would be great, thanks.

Yes, the extra player 1 starts should work as expected, just like they do in single-player.

I can't vouch for Skulltag multiplayer, as it uses a different system for handling player spawns (mainly to allow for more players, I believe), but as far as I know they at least have some sort of system implemented to try emulating voodoo dolls for boom-scripting stuff.

The Voodoo doll tricks on TNT Map30 and Plutonia Map28 both feature additional Voodoo dolls for players 2-4. However the Plutonia Map06 Voodoo doll setup only features a player 1 doll.

So can you get Voodoo player 2-4's in Co-op if those players are present?

Something else perhaps to look into, is whether Voodoo dolls respawn in Co-op when the respective player does? After all, the floor the Voodoo dolls on TNT Map30 sit on is a damaging one.

I wonder, was it made damaging to account for the fact that the dolls don't respawn.

Vermil said:
Something else perhaps to look into, is whether Voodoo dolls respawn in Co-op when the respective player does? After all, the floor the Voodoo dolls on TNT Map30 sit on is a damaging one.

I wonder, was it made damaging to account for the fact that the dolls don't respawn.

I tested using Chocolate Doom to connect two clients and, indeed, when you respawn, voodoo dolls are unaffected, and thus in TNT's level 30 any wrong turns in the puzzle after the first death will kill you only because of the damaging floor (which does not affect the voodoo dolls). I tried with either green and indigo, and curiously, in both cases the inactive player became a zombie instead of dying normally. I've tested other multiplayer voodoo doll scenarios where the non-active player seemed to die normally, but not this one.

esselfortium said:

Yes, the extra player 1 starts should work as expected, just like they do in single-player.

I can't vouch for Skulltag multiplayer, as it uses a different system for handling player spawns (mainly to allow for more players, I believe), but as far as I know they at least have some sort of system implemented to try emulating voodoo dolls for boom-scripting stuff.

Phew thanks, you've made life much easier. :P

I think Paul Corfiatis said something about them not working just because you can't control them as much as in single player. There's no way to direct the effect at anyone, so you usually have to affect everybody. Killing only the guy who crosses some line specifically, for example, isn't possible. Thus in TNT map30 the effect that seems pretty neat in single player is somewhat hacky in multiplayer. The first blunder kills everybody, no matter who's fault it was, and while then on it's independent (through the damaging floor), it doesn't work immediately anymore.

For Boom conveyor tricks, though, there shouldn't be any problem.