Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraboy94

films that remind you of doom

any films you have seen that remind you of doom in any way, shape or form?

aliens is an obvious one for me.

also i recently saw evil dead 2... reminded me of doom a lot (demons, chainsaw and SSG).

oh and before another obvious film is taken by someone else, the doom movie.

Aliens and Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness pretty much cover it. After all, those were the primary inspirations for Doom. And actually, no, the Doom movie does not remind me of Doom, which is why I hate it so much. If it were simply Aliens with demons instead of xenomorphs, it would've been fucking awesome, but for some reason they decided to not go that route.

Oh, almost forgot, Event Horizon. Far closer to being Doom: The Movie than the Doom movie ever was.

The DOOM movie sucks ass if you want it to be even close to canon, but by itself, it's not a bad flick. I own a copy myself on regular DVD. Could have toned down on the obscenities though...it was largely unneeded. A good writer knows when to use the word "motherfucker" or its ilk, and this movie was just too full of ill-placed cursing.

Invaders From Mars might be a good one to consider...aliens, military theme, underground caves, superweapons, etc. It's a pretty old movie though, and I doubt any inspiration from it went into DOOM...though I don't know...some of those things do kind of look like DOOM's Demon...and the alien mastermind looks kinda like the spider mastermind.

Deep Rising looked and felt very much like how I expected Doom 3 to become. At least the ambience was similar.

Alien films of course, before seeing the "Doom movie". After that, unfortunately, almost any "random-ass grunts with guns in a dungeon/base/sewer/spaceship" direct-to-video flick reminded me of "Doom" :-(

Just the obvious ones.
Evil dead 2 and Army of Darkness, Event horizon and Aliens.

Definitely not the doom movie.

Nomad said:

That's uncanny. Strap four robot legs on that and you got the Spider demon. I need to see this movie. I wouldn't put it past the possibility of Id seeing this movie and using it as a base for the Spider demon Mastermind.

Ed said:

Surprised noone has said Starship Troopers yet.

For me that's more like Starcraft than ever... propaganda filled militaristic human world, brown hiveminded aliens, lots of deaths and explosions, bright atmosphere. And ST Two, while more generic, less original and with a more predictable plot, does look like how I assume Zergs act in Starcraft.

Nomad said:

Thanks for linking to a closed thread!

No problem! :P

I wasn't linking to it so that people could add to it but rather to show that the question had been asked before and so that opinions relevant to this thread could be read in the other one if anyone really wanted to.

kristus said:

That's uncanny. Strap four robot legs on that and you got the Spider demon. I need to see this movie. I wouldn't put it past the possibility of Id seeing this movie and using it as a base for the Spider demon Mastermind.

Make sure you see the right one then. The 1953 version has a supreme intelligence that looks like this:

The 1986 remake is the one that looks like "our" spiderdemon.

I was actually about to mention Starship Troopers.

Also, holy shit Invaders from Mars. I remember seeing that (the remake) when I was a kid. It was kind of like Invasion of the Body Snatchers from a kid's perspective. The Mastermind freaked me out.

AAAAA EEEE IIII OOOO UUUUU...

Enjay said:

Make sure you see the right one then. The 1953 version has a supreme intelligence that looks like this:

Looks like a depressed archvile to me.

I just watched Evil Dead II again, and I gotta say, the chainsaw/shotgun combination reminded me of Requiem's screen. I could just SEE Bruce in place of Doomguy, and also thought what an awesome WAD that would make.

That's about the only one that really reminds me of it. Alien, to a degree. More it's setting than the actual creatures themselves (though that Mastermind resemblance was surprising). The first one was just so damn creepy, and the second one so action-packed... it almost reflected the games perfectly.