Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Pcorf community project (fun and easy going)

In the interests of getting back to mapping I'm going to kill a couple of my stagnant projects and a make a map for this, I think.

I have an idea for what I'll be doing and the rules easily accomodate my usual approach to mapping, so that should be fine.

I'll be back in a few days with an appropriate map, hopefully!

I have received "A Vile Piece" by darkreaver bringing the amount of completed levels up to 23.

Phobus said:

6-7 hours of work and we have:

http://i49.tinypic.com/24wt5hk.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/53066w.png
http://i49.tinypic.com/6hj4fs.png

Its pretty much done architecturally - just got to do two small, crucial areas and then we're on to monsters, pickups and any additional gameplay sectors.

I'm calling it "Lockdown", although all that will be in the text file.

Looks impressive.

6 hours is a pretty long time - I usually only get in about 2 hours or less before I am either distracted or uninspired

Wow, it takes me that long to finish 1 room :(... What you've got looks nice. I'm trying to visualize what you've got set up for us in that big open area. Can't wait to play this wad whether or not my map is accepted! :)

Oh, phobus, looks so cool. As usual. And finally, we've got also a "city" map, isn't?

However, i'm tempted to make a 5th map in a sort of "Quake" style, mostly some fortress like e1m4 or e2m2, but i think than 4 maps is already enough... and to make this thing for that coop doom megawad project lies around in this forums...

You also have brown brick changing to gray brick with no border - seems a bit odd, although I can see why you did it :P

Looking good though

Nice shots so far!

@pcorf: Thanks. I've actually finished the map now - build time (including some of the testing) is about 12 hours. I've got a couple of independent testers to help root out some of the really silly problems (of which there might be a couple), but in technical terms its all finished and it all works. Balanced ammo for co-op as well as SP (all difficulties) and set it up for DM. I'll put a link up within a couple of days to submit the map.

@darkreaver: If I'm honest there's a fair bit of copy/paste and the map is fairly simple for it's size. Discounting the 3 hours or so put into testing and other little things, I spent 9 hours making that map (over 3 days), and the little side areas took longer than the central area.

@DoomGo2It: Floods of low-level monsters with you being kept in check (or locked down) by fire from the centre. Certainly keeps you on your toes until you've got the ammunition to deal with the central area. (Depending on difficulty that can mean not until you've cleared out most of the outer map)

@walter confalonieri: It's a bit too abstract to be a city structure. Given the large volume of bricks and metal bars, I'd say a prison or fortress. More of a map for mapping's sake though!

EDIT: Map submitted to Paul via e-mail.

Phobus said:

EDIT: Map submitted to Paul via e-mail.

Thanks for the map, 24 maps done.

A pretty good map although symmetric. I think Doom 2's MAP08 music will suit this map perfectly.

I liked the Doom 2 style architecture. Nice effort Phobus.

I was wondering if it were okay for me to upload my level, after finishing and submitting for this project, to the /idgames archive as a stand-alone level. It would be my first contribution to the archive and I would like it to be there to receive criticism on it's own.

DooMGo2It said:

I was wondering if it were okay for me to upload my level, after finishing and submitting for this project, to the /idgames archive as a stand-alone level. It would be my first contribution to the archive and I would like it to be there to receive criticism on it's own.

Not a good idea. Sorry for this.

But if you want to release it to archives I will not include it in this megawad. To be honest, its your map.

DooMGo2It said:

I would like it to be there to receive criticism on it's own.

I can understand where you're coming from...I think it sucks when community projects are reviewed as a lump sum... for example, in tnc 368 The Ultimate DooMer first took a shit on my thread requesting help on reviewing all the heretic treasure chest maps individually, and then proceeded to say absolutely nothing about the wad! As such, you're right in thinking that you probably won't get a real review (even when people go map-by-map it is understandably shortened per level), and perhaps you should post it in a separate thread if you want feedback. Plus you can then get multiple opinions.

Alright, would it be okay, as Sofa said, to make a new thread and post this level there? I would only host the upload for it for a short time (1 week?) just to get some reviews. Perhaps this way I can get specific reviews as well as keeping it somewhat fresh when it pops up in the megawad. Then again, I'm sure I've unknowingly make some mistake with regards to compatibility making the map unacceptable for this project.

The main reason I want this to be a stand-alone is because this is literally the second level I've ever worked on, and I could really use the critique.

On another note, I'm not even done with the level, so this isn't urgent.

DooMGo2It said:

Alright, would it be okay, as Sofa said, to make a new thread and post this level there? I would only host the upload for it for a short time (1 week?) just to get some reviews. Perhaps this way I can get specific reviews as well as keeping it somewhat fresh when it pops up in the megawad. Then again, I'm sure I've unknowingly make some mistake with regards to compatibility making the map unacceptable for this project.

The main reason I want this to be a stand-alone is because this is literally the second level I've ever worked on, and I could really use the critique.

On another note, I'm not even done with the level, so this isn't urgent.

If thats your reasons, then no need to make it publically available. Send it to a few willingly testers via PM or something. No need for a thread, really.

magicsofa said:

I can understand where you're coming from...I think it sucks when community projects are reviewed as a lump sum... for example, in tnc 368 The Ultimate DooMer first took a shit on my thread requesting help on reviewing all the heretic treasure chest maps individually, and then proceeded to say absolutely nothing about the wad! As such, you're right in thinking that you probably won't get a real review (even when people go map-by-map it is understandably shortened per level), and perhaps you should post it in a separate thread if you want feedback. Plus you can then get multiple opinions.

Community projects of such variety are as only as good as it's shittiest maps. It comes down to the team's sense of quality control. Keeping a consistency of quality throughout the maps.

With the last 1024 project I contributed to, we had maps that weren't up to par. Instead of giving everyone goldstars and shitting it out to newstuff, we underwent a period of quality control. As a result of that, I ended up scrapping my original two shit maps and made one good map that I would've never created at all. It was a cruel harsh reality that the entire team had to face, and the project became better for it.

It's very ego shattering to have a creation you labored over shit on. If you look at it completely detached of the fact that you made it, and take in what is said; it becomes honest valuable feedback to improve upon in your next attempts. Instead of screaming at people like a complete fucking aspie in a Newstuff comments thread. Completely irate that people don't understand ultimate gift to the universe or something.

darkreaver said:

If thats your reasons, then no need to make it publically available. Send it to a few willingly testers via PM or something. No need for a thread, really.

Sounds like a great idea. Anyone willing to test can give me a PM and I'll gladly send it to them as soon as I'm finished (which probably wont be soon at all =\), if thats okay with you, Pcorf.

Haven't been able to get much work done lately, but I'll be able to really grind out this map as soon as I get my laptop.

DooMGo2It said:

Sounds like a great idea. Anyone willing to test can give me a PM and I'll gladly send it to them as soon as I'm finished (which probably wont be soon at all =\), if thats okay with you, Pcorf.

I`ll test it unless you allready got someone else to do it.

Also, hows this project going? Are there many people working on maps as of now?

@Cap Toenail
That looks very very good.
It doesn't look like it was too hard for you...

POTGIESSER said:

Community projects of such variety are as only as good as it's shittiest maps.

May I ask why? I suppose if you played only the shittiest maps, you would get exactly that amount of enjoyment (shitty amount). However, I am sure that if you played, for example, the BEST map, you would enjoy it more than the shitty one. So can't we say that the total enjoyment from playing both maps would be an average?

This is why I don't like over-arching reviews for community projects. Quality control is great - however, there are community projects with good and bad maps, and if they were reviewed individually I could choose which maps to play. Generally I would fire up the first level but in the case of community projects that don't have such a good quality control method, a few floppers right at the beginning might mean I neglect the rest of the maps.

I guess I'm just advocating both quality control, and map-by-map reviews. I mean, even if one author puts out 7 maps, it's nice to comment on individual levels.

Now, instead of posting, I should work on my map....>.>

Bump

I'm considering making a 4th map for this since there hasn't been much progress since Phobus's submission back in late June. Brainstorming for a possible hell theme map right now.

I actually found a tiny speedmap I made a while back in my database. It's an... okay map, and designed for tyson-only gameplay on skill 4.

It's short, but can be a real pain to handle. Plus, I think it's fun. I'll e-mail pcorf and see if he wants in the megawad.

Philnemba said:

Bump

I'm considering making a 4th map for this since there hasn't been much progress since Phobus's submission back in late June. Brainstorming for a possible hell theme map right now.

You are welcome to make a 4th map.

The progress will come back soon as I plan to whip up a map or two.

Snakes said:

I actually found a tiny speedmap I made a while back in my database. It's an... okay map, and designed for tyson-only gameplay on skill 4.

It's short, but can be a real pain to handle. Plus, I think it's fun. I'll e-mail pcorf and see if he wants in the megawad.

Yeah, go ahead and include it. Would fit in nicely as an earlier map.