Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Pcorf community project (fun and easy going)

What was up with map12? It had like...map02 difficulty :P

edit: and yeah, map11 (mine) could easily have been moved closer to the end of the wad, but I guess its in the first episode because of its looks (base)

Things 145 and 146 are stuck together on MAP15, PCorf... Heh.

I guess I'll do a quick breakdown

MAP01 - Fun, simple map. I love tyson gameplay, enough said.

MAP02 - Hitscan central, but decent looking and fun to play. A nerfed teleporter and the fact that I managed by the yellow key trap before it triggered were the only downsides. AWESOME MUSIC.

MAP03 - Who made this fucking piece of shit, anyways?

MAP04 - Having played this map before, I kind of knew what was coming ahead of time. Hard to judge based on that, but it's another solid map by Toenail.

MAP05 - Short, fun blast. I wish recorded an FDA because I played this one perfectly... I even found the secret by complete mistake... On my first try.

MAP06 - Looks are great, but the gameplay wasn't there for me. Too much health, and the floor/wall detail kept my screen bouncing up and down the whole way through. Conceptually, it's neat, though. Clever use of textures.

MAP07 - Same comments I'd have for any MAP07. Simple.

MAP08 - I honestly don't know what to say about this one. I wound running past all of the traps with ease. If I hadn't, I would've died repeatedly and ragequit.

MAP09 - Walter and I have opposite styles. There is some cool texturing here based around the theme, but otherwise, it was just... well, not for me.

MAP10 - Fucking awesome. UV Maxed in 21:13, didn't die via miracle dodges. Only downside is a bit of confusion after grabbing the blue key (which I wasn't even aware I had). Large, non-linear, attractive, and with good gameplay to boot. Probably the best map I've played so far.

MAP11 - Neat map, but the blue key room brought me dangerously close to headdesk. I died so many times there :( Still, very fun slaughter-style with generally attractive visuals.

MAP12 - Much the same as my MAP09 comments, but with more straightforward texturing. I enjoyed this one a good deal more, too. Some interesting use of linedefs.

MAP13 - Cool Romero-inspired map. Classic style defined, really. The only thing it was really lacking were some monsters populating the ground-level, which made the flow a bit slower than I prefer. Otherwise, nicely done. Also, cool use of a lift near the end there.

MAP14 - Another solid Captain Toenail map, this time with a different theme. Nice, clean appearance. The problem I had was ammo balance, which I had almost none when I grabbed the red key causing a great deal of trouble. Good use of space, though. Compact layout.

MAP15 - This one had "pcorf" written all over it. The demon trap was a bit over-the-top but otherwise, it was fun as usual. I hate those red and tan brick textures, but they don't look nearly as bad here. Sneaky secret exit.

MAP31 - Sorry Walter, but this easily my least favorite map of the bunch. That's all I will say.

Stopping there for now. I was going to push on, but MAP32 is made by ArmouredBlood, which means I'll die waaaay too much. Also, being snowed in today is a lot easier right now. A lot of fun maps so far.

magicsofa said:
Plus it's only the third level :P Whereas it is appropriate to throw everything but the kitchen sink at the player when you're at map28 [/B]

True, but e.g. map02 has over 100 enemies on the same skill and map04 has something like 200. And in general I notice a lot of megawads these days start with 100+ enemies even on map 01. So even for its slot, I found it a very well-moderated usage of monsters.

First playthrough thoughts on some more maps:

Map05 (Roundabout by Krispavera): Ooh, another quality-over-quantity map, monsterwise. Brick and metal isn't my favorite map style by far but it seems well-executed here and there are some base textures to break it up. I feel like I would have gotten frustrated with the presentation of weapons and ammo if I was trying it from a pistol start, especially since this is skill 3. (Of course, since my maps for this project had either limited or nonexistent skill settings, maybe I should just keep my big mouth shut). I actually found myself thinking that this would make a great Map01-02 in terms of its simple yet elegant layout... monster-wise maybe not so much.

Map06 (Shipwreck by aaglo): The care and attention to detail really show here. In particular I liked the V-shaped cutouts in some of the panels in the hallways; normally these can end up looking artificially jaggy but the use of the aligned light textures on the insides makes these look like they're 'supposed' to be that way; nice work. The strange blue teleport pad thing (I don't know how better to describe it) was also neat. The damaged areas were done really well for the most part. I liked the fact that the obvious 'exit' door was among the damaged and inoperative areas, haha. The actual exit was neat, too, a nice twist on the UAC_DEAD 'escape in a shuttlecraft!' sort of model. Weakest parts of the map for me were the 'residential' areas, like crew quarters and mess hall, not because they weren't well done but because such things usually tend to end up seeming goofy in the Doom engine no matter what you do.

Map07 (Simply Familiar by Philnemba): 'Traditional' MAP07s are very rarely among my favorite maps in any given megawad, but this one is at least very well done for what it is. The surprise you get the first time you try to go into one of the ammo rooms was a nice touch, and the penultimate fight was more challenging for me than those of its kind usually are (probably because of the lack of a BFG yet).

Map08: My first map. :P About to give this one a shot and see if I get humiliated!

edit: Okay, after playing through Demonic Caprice for the first time in about a year, I have to say that if I could do it over again now I would probably find some alternatives to putting monsters up on high pillars where they're annoying to fight, potentially ineffective, or both. But overall I still think the map works well for the experiment that it is.

More later.

Got flamed to death by the archviles on that really high column in map08. How exactly am I supposed to do that room?

Krispavera said:

Got flamed to death by the archviles on that really high column in map08. How exactly am I supposed to do that room?

Sniping and ducking away, the same way you'd do any archviles except vertically instead of horizontally, if that makes sense.

As I said above I realize in retrospect (remember I made this map like a year ago) that the setups with monsters on high pillars were a bit more annoying than they should have been, but annoying shouldn't mean impossible.

Has anyone been able to kill all monsters on map 20? Seems like a lot of them are stuck in the ground (38 or so on UV?).

jerrysheppy said:

Sniping and ducking away, the same way you'd do any archviles except vertically instead of horizontally, if that makes sense.

As I said above I realize in retrospect (remember I made this map like a year ago) that the setups with monsters on high pillars were a bit more annoying than they should have been, but annoying shouldn't mean impossible.

lol that was easy. >.> *feels really lame now*

To be honest it was just a fun project, nothing that serious. You'd expect bugs. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I made a mistake in MAP15 if you get the rocket launcher you can skip the blue key door.

Snakes said:

Things 145 and 146 are stuck together on MAP15, PCorf... Heh.

I never knew that. Thanks for letting me know. Fixed it and also decided to change the way the hidden door opens to the rocket launcher so when you walk over the bottom step after the blue door the secret door opens but closes.

I will reupload the wad when I get the chance to.

pcorf said:

I will reupload the wad when I get the chance to.

No need for hurry :)
The more playthrough this gets, the more errors will be found, and the more errors can be fixed!
Not that serious? No, but the less errors, the better anyway :)

darkreaver said:

No need for hurry :)
The more playthrough this gets, the more errors will be found, and the more errors can be fixed!
Not that serious? No, but the less errors, the better anyway :)

Indeed. I sent Ty an email as a request to reject pccp.zip from the archives so we can fix a few problems.

I noticed a problem in map 29. You can go back out of one of the archvile's throne areas before the bars go down, thus breaking the level. I forget which one though. Maybe the red key area.

DoomHero85 said:

I noticed a problem in map 29. You can go back out of one of the archvile's throne areas before the bars go down, thus breaking the level. I forget which one though. Maybe the red key area.

Which sector number, roughly?

in map 20 add action 119 and tag 7 to linedef 3051. so that monsters pits rise. (should of tested my map in more then zdoom :|)

Malinku said:

in map 20 add action 119 and tag 7 to linedef 3051. so that monsters pits rise. (should of tested my map in more then zdoom :|)

Done! (did this to linedef 3052 though, 3051 was a wall)

Map09 (4Chan Servers by Walter): Aesthetically this map was a pretty mixed bag. I liked some design elements such as the water filled tunnels. Much lower ceiling than I'm used to in Doom, the width of the tunnels actually made the ceiling feel lower still, and the two effects (low ceiling plus relatively broad space) combined to make it feel claustrophobic without actually frustrating the player's ability to maneuver, which is a trap that a lot of would-be claustrophobic maps fall into. On the other hand, many of the texture schemes seem questionable. In particular, combining orange-brown with blue and flashing lights literally made my eyes start to hurt. It smoothed out a little later on and even gave me an Episode 2 vibe in places, which was kind of nice, but I kept getting jerked back out by references to the theme of the map, which is one that seems ill-advised in a non-joke wad.

Map10 (Substation by Dutch Devil): I'm going to echo what Snakes said, simply the best map so far in the pack. Both the sectorwork and texturing are absolutely top notch--in particular I think the CEMENT textures are among the hardest id textures to make look good and the mapper definitely pulls it off here. I found it just hard enough to not be frustrating on a straight playthrough; if I was trying to pistol start it I think I probably would have died at a few points. The layout with its nonlinearity was very impressive--I especially liked getting the blue key and then unlocking a neat 'tunnel system' that had been barred off before.

DoomHero85 said:

I could have sworn that in map 29 "Seven Dead Disciples" I made it so that you could open the bars if you got locked outside (because I kept multiplayer in mind), by opening them like doors. =/

EDIT: I've checked it, and I did. If you get locked outside the Arch-Vile throne rooms, or you're in multiplayer, and the bars block your way, open them like you'd open a door. That should do it, at least in ZDoom. I didn't have time to check in other ports cause I'm in a hurry, so it could be the linedefs are too close to each other to work in non-ZDoom.

I have to be honest I didn't enjoy 4Chan Servers, but then again I don't enjoy 4Chan. I liked some of the individual areas in this map but the references to 4Chan made it hard for me to really enjoy it as a whole.

Dutch Devil's map is a total masterpiece... very confusing layout but the visuals and gameplay are tops. I died right at the end so I guess that means I take a coffee break and start again.

I'm looking forward to trying out Darkreavers map.

Onto Darkreaver (Queen of the Archvile Abuse) map. A lot of trial and error here. A very fun map, but IMO would fit in very well at the third episode. I remember in the Momento Mori series that there were some massive techbases on the last episode, the looming and abstract architecture and gameplay screams E3. I guess it also fits as an episode finale.

MAP03,MAP10,MAP21 and MAP27 music are my personal favorites.

Some of the songs were written at least 10 years ago. They are MAP18, MAP20, MAP25 and MAP26.

MAP06 music is a remix of the song heard in Icarus MAP30 and a song I absolutely hate named OMG by Usher. At school last year they often played that song. Hence its name "Ica-Rusher" (Icarus and Usher merged in one word) - Good thing there is no annoying vocals in this song, errghhhhh!

MAP19 music demonstrates my obsession with asian forests, but I couldn't find any elephant or monkey sounds, arrghhhh!

MAP30 music is a remix of The Unforgiven by Metallica. One of my favorite songs of all time.

MAP31 music is a stupid, Mario-like song which has a bagpipe solo. Its named "Fifutifaibu" means Fifty Five in Japanese which is the amount of SS Nazi's used in the level.

The first sky is Doom 2's brown sky and Doom 1's Episode 1 sky over the top. There is a brown filter.

I created the second sky from scratch by taking photos of clouds the other day.

The third sky is from TNT Evilution MAP21-32 of course.

The sky used in MAP33 onwards is some red sky I modified, etc.

Cool stuff in there, props to the team. I'm at map 12, and so far 10 and 11 are my favorite.
I really enjoyed map 10's layout, texture usage and non-linearity. As always, Dutch Devil delivers :)

Noticed a HOM in map 11, in case it hasn't been reported already :
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2933/pccp11hom.png
Damn good slaughtermap, darkreaver. Very nice. :)
Music fits well too.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Cool stuff in there, props to the team. I'm at map 12, and so far 10 and 11 are my favorite.
I really enjoyed map 10's layout, texture usage and non-linearity. As always, Dutch Devil delivers :)

Noticed a HOM in map 11, in case it hasn't been reported already :
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2933/pccp11hom.png
Damn good slaughtermap, darkreaver. Very nice. :)
Music fits well too.

Yeah, that is what happens when Doom Builder deletes textures!

But I've fixed it.