Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

The metal thread somehow spawned from the pictures thread

Are there any folks who like artists who have crude or slightly crude production? (IE Hellhammer, most raw black metal, some thrash, etc)

Scet said:

That's nice, but the rest of your post seems to contradict this.

It sounds like early Discharge kinda, which is one of my favorite bands.

I may like some bands that have low-fi recordings, but I don't like any bands for the sole reason that they have raw recording quality. I've never understood that.

40oz said:

It sounds like early Discharge kinda, which is one of my favorite bands.

Do you know an example? I watched several Discharge videos on YouTube and they seem too "scream-o".

Mr. Chris said:

Are there any folks who like artists who have crude or slightly crude production? (IE Hellhammer, most raw black metal, some thrash, etc)

Yeah, to some degree. It can create an awesome atmosphere. (Good example)

Edited by destx

Mr. Chris said:

Some older Dark Throne is pretty crude, such as Transilvanian Hunger. I like it anyways.

Metal is cool. I tried to do a metal thread but it failed ... that was back then though and this thread is doing good.

Also, har har on the lucario video. You kill me

I posted/created this a while back as I combined footage of Oblige footage (I think version 3.39) and combining it with a metal song. There are no dynamic lights because I was still on my laptop at the time, which lacks a good gaming card.

Overall, Saxon is a pretty good heavy metal group, especially their 80s (Crusader, for example) and 90s stuff.

In response to Dr. Zin's 5 second song:

Sounds like something A.C. would make. They are famous for 5-second laugh-fest of awfulness. :)

Scet said:

Do you know an example? I watched several Discharge videos on YouTube and they seem too "scream-o".

Best example I've got.

Also I should probably mention now that I didn't listen to the video you posted all the way up to the part where the singer starts until just now. I realize now that the vocals of discharge and Blitzkrieg are completely different.

EDIT: Also that video is not early Discharge at all. I'm really makin myself look naive.

Mr. Chris said:

I do. I love it.

Serious metal thread, hey?

Im mostly into old school death metal, like Autopsy, old Suffocation, old Carcass, ya know...and heaps of underground and old demo bands. I love checking out really obscure stuff.
Also some thrash (older Sodom, Demolition Hammer), black (Darkthrone) etc..

Also into punk, hardcore punk, crust, grindcore, stenchcore, whatever...stuff like Discharge, Amebix, Inepsy, Heresy, Hellshock, Terrorizer, Avskum, Poison Idea, the list goes on...

I cant fucking stand modern metal at all. I seriously HATE polished production and the overall modern, overproduced sound. Makes me sick.

Recommendation: Bastard Priest! Fairly new band from Sweden. Absolutely raw and nasty death metal with a hint og crust and d-beat. Sick as hell!

Sidenote: my alltime fav band is also fairly new, and from Sweden as well. Formed in 1998, the band is REPUGNANT. Check it out.

Woolie Wool said:

Anal Cunt is one of those bands where the song titles are more interesting than the songs.

Yes. I love reading their track-lists, but listening to them is like shoving a nail file through my eardrum.

From their awesome concept album based off Traveller. The album is so addicting.. I can't stop listening to it.

Haven't got the hang of this embedding business.

My musical preferences tend to fluctuate quite radically. But when it's a metal day, I do enjoy a bit of Crowbar and Down.

It seems like the old I get the more and more I tend to stick with the older metal/rock bands. I have not been into the mainstream metal since Nu-Metal (face palm) started getting big. Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead and Megadeth are my 'mainstays.' There few black, death and thrash metal bands out there I do like. But, for the most part its 70s and 80s metal for me.

Who else in here thinks '70s Priest (or more specifically, the first three albums before they got into the whole leather thing) is better than '80s Priest?

darkreaver said:

I cant fucking stand modern metal at all.

(...)

Recommendation: new band

my alltime fav band is also fairly new

Well done.

darkreaver said:

stenchcore

haha

P.S. punx gtfo

What about The Macc Lads? They're like Anal Cunt but with talent, though not quite as offensive they're not far off. If you're not familiar with the culture of the north of England quite a bit of thier stuff might go over your head, though.

I'd say they're not strictly metal either, they started when punk was big but did piss-taking covers of classic rock as well as punk. They started to do more original stuff in the early 80's when hair metal was big, though.

There's also Eddie Shit who toured with them most of the time. He only did covers, but changed the words so all of the songs were related to shitting/piss/toilets/sex etc etc. Playground humour at it's best - look for "Massage in a brothel" on Youtube, it's usually uploaded somewhere.

destx said:

Well done.

haha

P.S. punx gtfo

Well, they doesnt have to play modern metal just becasue they are a newly formed band. Well done.

also, stenchcore...wtf, I mean, theres too many subgenres these days. Thats why I wrote "whatever" after that one, becasue I really dont care, but I see many others label many of the bands I like as "stenchcore" and other lame ass genres.

P.S. punx ftw

destx said:

Well done.

Way to select only part of a message to warp out his statements, sir..

Nomad said:

[...]Opeth [..] which is a band I have kind of a love-hate relationship with. Mikael is a pretty decent musician, but I find that Opeth's music feels a little too samey a little too often. His growls are really fucking brutal though, I'll give him that much.

That said, I've been listening to Ghost Reveries the past couple days and I am addicted to Beneath the Mire. I'm currently learning to play it on drums. I can play the first half just fine, but the second is pretty jazzy and I don't quite have the chops. Still, a ton of fun to play.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I don't go batshit over folk metal groups, but I do like a lot of them. I'm still pissed off that I missed seeing Tyr and Alestorm a couple months ago though.

Nomad said:

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I don't go batshit over folk metal groups, but I do like a lot of them. I'm still pissed off that I missed seeing Tyr and Alestorm a couple months ago though.

I'm about the same with folk metal, the genre seems to be filled with mediocrity - but the good ones are really good. Arkona is probably my favourite.

Also: last.fm/destx