Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

The metal thread somehow spawned from the pictures thread

I agree with you guys. My friend told me to go there to look at metal bands and it's just a bunch of elitists saying metalcore isn't metal and this and that. Who are they to judge what is and isn't metal?

I get sick of that crap. Metal is metal, even if it's got screaming vocals and influence from other genres.

I wholeheartedly agree. That site totally/deliberately ignores some of the more pop-based sub-genres (e.g. glam/hair, industrial, grunge-type, nu, some forms of hard rock) and also refuses to chronicle many of the genre's influences (e.g. Hendrix, The Beatles' "Helter Skelter", hardcore punk}. The site is made up of elitists that won't touch anything they don't consider tr00 or br00tal enough to be considered what they percieve as metal.

Personally, I use Wikipedia's classifications, because the sub-genres listed there are deeper and more descriptive.

SuperSlammer2 said:

even if it's got screaming vocals and influence from other genres.

most bands I've listened to that where a "core" band sucked. (mostly Deathcore)

and I wish I could find the quote that said that producers
complain about metalcore bands (some) not having skill
but it was on a obscure deathmetal band review on pandora so it was mostly biase.
since the only new metal played on the radio is metalcore, Metallica which spawned most of todays mainstreem radio metal. (pantera spawned the rest of todays radio metal)
my thoughts

but there is a late night metal show (after 12 am here I think and I only heard it once).

mammajamma said:

br00tal

then how are there power metal pands on there :P

Malinku said:

most bands I've listened to that where a "core" band sucked. (mostly Deathcore)

and I wish I could find the quote that said that producers
complain about metalcore bands (some) not having skill
but it was on a obscure deathmetal band review on pandora so it was mostly biase.
since the only new metal played on the radio is metalcore, Metallica which spawned most of todays mainstreem radio metal. (pantera spawned the rest of todays radio metal)
my thoughts

but there is a late night metal show (after 12 am here I think and I only heard it once).

then how are there power metal bands on there :P

The br00tal part was just put there randomly for emphasis. My point was about their definition of metal. And just because most metal on the radio today is extraordinarily shitty (a point I agree with you about by the way), it doesn't mean it should not be classified as such. If I were to dismiss every metal band and style of metal I did not like as not metal, my perception of metal would be limited to a select portion of traditional, glam/hair, thrash/speed, and NWOBHM bands. But that would be retarded. Metal I do not like is still metal. I also take issue with most metal fans (and most music fans in general) utter revulsion of pop-based song structures and pop in general. I personally don't see many problems with it. I admit the general makeup of the radio industry, the dominant formats involved, and the relationship of pop music with both are a bit of a problem, but those facets grow more obscure day-by-day with the rise of the Internet and its focus on the millions of niches music comprises of. I just don't get the antagonistic relationship the various niches have with the mainstream.

Besides, everyone knows what true metal is:

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT METALCORE AND ELITISTS, THIS FUCKING DEBATE NEVER ENDS WELL. POST SOME MORE GODDAMN METAL.

ALSO FYI IT'S CAPSLOCK DAY

MasterOfPuppets said:

the metal-archives are run and moderated by a bunch of elitist jerks who try to be objective and open-minded. as it turns out, that is the best solution.

I find that better than having to sift through glam rock, punk, nu-metal and core based metal/deathcore to find what I want there. It's to have a METAL encyclopedia, no matter how obscure or popular the band/artist is. If someone wants to make the Punk Archives or the Nu-Metallum, they are welcome to do as they please.

@Destx: Bathory is awesome, hands down.

mammajamma said:

I wholeheartedly agree. That site totally/deliberately ignores some of the more pop-based sub-genres (e.g. glam/hair, industrial, grunge-type, nu, some forms of hard rock) and also refuses to chronicle many of the genre's influences (e.g. Hendrix, The Beatles' "Helter Skelter", hardcore punk}. The site is made up of elitists that won't touch anything they don't consider tr00 or br00tal enough to be considered what they percieve as metal.

Personally, I use Wikipedia's classifications, because the sub-genres listed there are deeper and more descriptive.

Hendrix was never metal and neither was the Beatles. They were ROCK at most, before metal even spawned.

There are the super elitists on that board and there are users who actually listen to genres outside the metal realm.

destx said:

[B]SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT METALCORE AND ELITISTS, THIS FUCKING DEBATE NEVER ENDS WELL. POST SOME MORE GODDAMN METAL.

Mr. Chris said:

Hendrix was never metal and neither was the Beatles. They were ROCK at most, before metal even spawned.

There are the super elitists on that board and there are users who actually listen to genres outside the metal realm.

I never said they were metal. I said that they were just a couple of early influences on metal. The genre (traditional, specifically) was mostly influenced from blues rock and psychedelic, which was how I came to justify bands like Hendrix and the Beatles (especially their late sixties works). As for the influence of metal bands itself, I consider Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin as the major foundations for the heavier and more pop-based aspects of metal, respectively.

e: right, some music. How about some GWAR?

Mr. Chris said:

Some fine doom metal there, I have a particular fondness for the first band of the three.

These are all good songs. Out of the extreme metal subgenres, I find myself gravitating toward doom metal the most lately. There's something about the thick, down-tuned guitars and more traditional sense of melody that just clicks with me. I enjoy basically every other metal subgenre, too (to varying extents), but stuff like this just makes my day:

I especially have to put in a good word for Solstice's album New Dark Age. It gets name-dropped a lot, but it seems like no one discusses it in any detail. I love the folk vibe it carries - granted, the acoustic instrumentals and ballad help that, but even the heavier songs carry a somewhat medieval or Celtic feeling in the riff department. I love going for walks outside with this on my iPod:

Come to think of it, I love listening to "Cimmerian Codex" regardless of location. I think it's just one of those timeless doom metal songs, overlooked as it is.

As for the Metal-Archives debate, all I really have to say is that it's a useful resource - it suits my needs, anyway, though understandably your mileage may vary. I don't mind the people on the forums too much, either, although I haven't posted there in a year or two. Take that how you will. :P

I made a new song. Some people probably don't think my new shit is metal anymore, but at least there are still some blast beats!

DooMAD said:

Imagine we started having /newstuff reviews where people started claiming a WAD isn't Doom enough to be worthy of inclusion to the archives. People would be throwing a fucking fit. And rightly so.

holy shit that would be hilarious actually. I would get a kick out of it to be honest.

@Destx: Bathory is awesome, hands down.

+1

Listening to early Fates Warning. It is awesome.

Thrash "wasn't real metal" in 1985, and Metallica got "everything the audience could get thier hands on" thrown at them at Monsters of Rock. By 1995 the same festival was NAMED AFTER Metallica (well only for that year).
Now, why is it taking Nu Metal longer to be accepted?

Probably because thrash is actually good.

Speaking of, here's one of my all-time favorite thrash songs. Brilliance.

deathbringer said:

Thrash "wasn't real metal" in 1985, and Metallica got "everything the audience could get thier hands on" thrown at them at Monsters of Rock. By 1995 the same festival was NAMED AFTER Metallica (well only for that year).
Now, why is it taking Nu Metal longer to be accepted?

It wasn't considered "real metal" in 1985 by whom? The mainstream music press? The mainstream music press can't find its ass with both hands (and were, coincidentally, the primary champions of nu-metal in its heyday). And I can only imagine that a festival that named itself after Metallica in the Load era is as un-metal as a festival could possibly get, the kind of festival real metal musicians would brag about being bottled at, or better yet, not even consider playing at.

Similar treatment to East Indian music videos being Buffalaxed on youtube.

DooMAD said:

Imagine we started having /newstuff reviews where people started claiming a WAD isn't Doom enough to be worthy of inclusion to the archives. People would be throwing a fucking fit. And rightly so.

I must try that.

DooMAD said:

Fear Factory vid

Why the fuck is Dino back with them? I thought they all hated each other?

From doing some reading up, it looks like Christian and Raymond are pissed, and I would be too. I personally think Gene Hoglan is a superior drummer to Raymond, but if I'm not mistaken Dino's fat fuck ego was the reason the band broke up in 2002 in the first place.

Man I hate band drama, but FF simply oozes it. I'm glad I don't really care for them anymore.

Nomad said:

Why the fuck is Dino back with them? I thought they all hated each other?

From doing some reading up, it looks like Christian and Raymond are pissed, and I would be too. I personally think Gene Hoglan is a superior drummer to Raymond, but if I'm not mistaken Dino's fat fuck ego was the reason the band broke up in 2002 in the first place.

Man I hate band drama, but FF simply oozes it. I'm glad I don't really care for them anymore.

I'm honestly not too fussed about the whole band dispute thing. While it would be great to have the original lineup, it just isn't going to happen. Plus we get Divine Heresy and Arkaea as a result, who I also really like. And the current incarnation of Fear Factory still sounds brilliant, so it's not really like we've lost anything. If anything, there's now three awesome bands instead of just one. The only real downside is that the legal shite gets in the way of touring and such.

I'm not one to be an elitist, but it's not a coincidence that Fear Factory formed the same year Godflesh released the album "Streetcleaner."

I love the new Fear Factory track, I've been a fan of them ever since Demanufacture came out. They've definitely shed that cord of Nu-metal that the last few albums of theirs had and went back to what they were best at. I really want to see what Gene sounds like playing SOANM material.