Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

The metal thread somehow spawned from the pictures thread

I like metal, but most of that stuff with extreme black brutal death traumatizing grind just leaves me with a huge meh. Only rap gets worse than what that shit can be at its worst.

I like my metal to be a little more intelligent than just heavy. Orphaned Land is a prime example. They can be pretty heavy, but are quite progressive and mix a lot of acoustics into their metal.

Listening to the entire album as a whole is an incredible experience.

According to my Last.fm account, I mostly listen to nu-metal, metalcore, melodic death metal and industrial metal. Then again, musical sub-genres are far too subjective to have any real consistency, so that could mean just about anything.

Krispavera said:

I like my metal to be a little more intelligent than just heavy. Orphaned Land is a prime example. They can be pretty heavy, but are quite progressive and mix a lot of acoustics into their metal.

Why do you think that music that is "just heavy" is unintelligent?

Maybe intelligent wasn't the right word. Or maybe "just heavy" wasn't the right phrase.

I understand that most metal is much more than just stupid banging on heavy chords and loud drumming. I've found that over the years, I've really grown to appreciate a slick death metal riff. There really is a lot of subtlety to the genre, even if all it seems to be is loud guitars, growling, and blast beats. And don't get me wrong, I love to headbang. I'm listening to Bloodbath right now.

I'm not trying to insult metalheads here. What I meant by "more intelligent" was less direct brutal assault, and more progressive elements to give me a break from the onslaught. I get headaches easy.

Didn't mean to come off as pretentious, sometimes I just can't find the right words.

40oz said:

Grindcore and D-Beat kicks the shit out of every genre that has metal in its name.

There's little real distinction between grindcore and traditional death metal. I mean, Rotten Sound and Napalm Death really aren't any different from Grave or Cannibal Corpse.

Thread calling Liam; Liam to genre debate. Come slap some sense into these monkeys.

This thread needs more Sanctuary, which is the band Nevermore in the late 80s before they started sucking and calling themselves Nevermore.

Nomad said:

[Started from this post - split/edit by myk]

Any band I've been in would probably make fun of the band you're in for wearing that shit.

Well, that's one way to ward off the swine flu. I never got the pants chains thing either. Are they supposed to be symbolic? Are they supposed to drag your pants down so people can see your designer briefs? Are they supposed to jingle and warn others of an approaching mall rat?

Nomad said:

There's little real distinction between grindcore and traditional death metal.

Compare this to this.

Sub-sub-genres of heavy metal have evolved individually.

More punk-oriented grind is in particular quite far from generic death metal.

I never said "generic". I said traditional. Entombed, Grave, Obituary, Carcass, Death, very early Kreator, Brutal Truth. There are more common elements which are present in both grind and traditional death metal, and even modern grind and death, than there uncommon elements. The line between them is very vague and I'd say it's pretty pointless to try to define it.

That said, I personally don't really listen to that much death metal anymore. My tastes are mostly in more progressive oriented music, as well as the avant-garde.

I'm going to have to disagree with Nomad about the line between death metal and grindcore being vague. Maybe it's just my years of listening to all types of metal, and collecting large amounts of each sub-genre to hear what makes it what it is, but I can hear a huge difference between death metal and grindcore. However, GOREgrind is much closer to brutal death metal and takes only a couple grind elements. The distinction between goregrind and grindcore, however, is still fairly noticeable in my ears, but is much less of a defined difference.

I don't think there is a very vague difference, if there is enough of a difference to make a sub-genre for it anyways.

Holy fuck, next time I spawn an entire thread because of my outfits, let me know O.O

Secondly

Nomad said:

My guess would be Slipknot wannabes.

kristus said:

CRAAAWWWWLLIIIIINNN IIIINNN MYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIIIIN!

Please. Sirs, I HATE THOSE SHIT BANDS. This is my band, well one of them anyway: myspace.com/toxicforthemasses

The other music I do some industrial as well some mellow acoustic stuff that I've worked on when I'm bored. Think of something like Devin Townsend's KI album. If you want, I'll post those too for the sake of whoring my projects lol.

Now for the metal discussion that I inadvertently seemed to have created lol. I'm a huge fan of progressive metal. Some of Devin Townsend's works have been greatly inspirational to me. But then you've got the (somewhat) older stuff too, like the first few Fear Factory records which I thought were the proverbial "shit" when they came. Fast, heavy, fucking violent. Perfect combo. I've been much of a fan of black metal or the like because I've never heard enough of it to get really get into it lol.

Really starting to love this band though

Sorry Woolie Wool but Nevermore is one of my guiltiest pleasures. I love all their albums (except maybe Enemies of Reality, cause it's pretty bad). Sanctuary's awesome though, and still much better than Nevermore.

I loooooove Death. I love their early stuff, and their final four albums are among my favorite albums of all time. If I don't know what else to listen to, it's usually Human.

Demon Hunter said:

Please. Sirs, I HATE THOSE SHIT BANDS. This is my band, well one of them anyway: myspace.com/toxicforthemasses

[Eluveitie video]

You look more like a mallcore goth with that getup. Especially those goddamn obnoxious Tripp pants. The other members look the part for that music though. The music isn't that bad. I like a little industrial stuff myself. God Module is probably my favorite industrial group.

Also, has Eluveitie been on some sort of big tour like Ozzfest lately or something? I've noticed them becoming pretty well known. They're pretty decent though I prefer their first album, Ven. It was a lot more "Folk + Death" oriented rather than the newer "Melodic Death with a hint of Folk" they've got going on.

Krispavera said:

I loooooove Death. I love their early stuff, and their final four albums are among my favorite albums of all time. If I don't know what else to listen to, it's usually Human.

Death is the shit. And Human is definitely my favorite album of theirs. Together as One is probably my favorite song off of there. Reminds me of the Twin cenobites from Hellraiser 4. :P

Nomad said:

Also, has Eluveitie been on some sort of big tour like Ozzfest lately or something? I've noticed them becoming pretty well known. They're pretty decent though I prefer their first album, Ven. It was a lot more "Folk + Death" oriented rather than the newer "Melodic Death with a hint of Folk" they've got going on.

I checked them out a while ago - they sounded like metalcore with flutes to me, really obnoxious. Which is probably why they're getting popular with the kids.

edit: get off my lawn

Yes, I particularly like this cover myself..

And I don't have a lot of death metal on the 7500+ songs on my playlist, mainly oldschool stuff like Entombed, Dismember and a few other semi-modern like Amon Amarth and Blood Red Throne.