Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

The metal thread somehow spawned from the pictures thread

They released their Closure EP for free last year. It was supposed to be a full album, but those three songs are all we got. Was awesome nonetheless.

Er. The intro to that songs is exactly like an AFI song. Which makes me rage because I probably hate that band more than anything.

Time for a serious reply. I tend to listen to older NWOBHM and thrash, simply because I can't stand growling or "pop-metal".

Can you define "pop-metal"? Do you mean nonsense like Dragonforce?

He probably means nonsense like Linkin Park, Slipknot, and Korn.

Nomad said:

He probably means nonsense like Linkin Park, Slipknot, and Korn.

Not metal at all..well ironically Slipknot and Korn's first albums were the most metal out of all of their music.

I would also lump in stuff that sounds somewhat metal but isn't..like popular metalcore and deathcore, such as Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Suicide Silence and music that may sound metal but isn't at all (See nu-metal and rock, the latter is often confused over at the Encyclopedia Metallum).

DuckReconMajor said:

hey now

I had a feeling I may have had opposition when I expressed my displeasure with Dragonforce. As a former listener of them, I don't hate them but over time it came to my ears that most if not all of their songs have a similar song structure and couldn't tell much of them apart, which they came apart as monotonous in sound.

Hell, even other power metal bands I listen to don't have the guitar wankery or overly similar song structure, such as Iced Earth, Avantasia and even Fairyland. Somehow, I have a slight preference for the more symphonic, keyboard tattered bands a little more than your traditionalish ones like Iced Earth or Helloween.

Speaking of something I just discovered..

I found this album the other night and it's undeniably catchy and rough. And yes, I found this over at FreeMetalAlbums (Yes mods, this stuff is 100% legit..everything posted there is..unlike most other music blogs)

Mr. Chris said:

I had a feeling I may have had opposition when I expressed my displeasure with Dragonforce.

I'm surprised you had any opposition. I figured I was the only kid over 12 that would defend them.

I honestly don't mind when people say they dislike Dragonforce. As long as it's because they dislike Dragonforce. I admit, they probably sound pretty dumb to most people. I haven't heard much outside of Inhuman Rampage, but I admit from what I've heard most of it sounds alike and I can see where people wouldn't like how they sound. I don't mind that.

What I can't stand is when people say stuff like "you're dumb if you like Dragonforce cause Herman Li can't play guitar, they sound bad live, etc." Then kids think they're clever with "STUDIOFORCE OLOLOL".

I saw that one video with them playing live. I felt really bad for them. I understand that none of them probably have any musical talent. I understand that they probably cook all of their music up on the computer. I don't care. I don't buy music cause I want to see little people with guitars jumping around in my head. I did it because I liked how it sounded.

Mr. Chris said:

I don't hate them but over time it came to my ears that most if not all of their songs have a similar song structure and couldn't tell much of them apart, which they came apart as monotonous in sound.

Funny. I used to see Inhuman Rampage as Through the Fire and Flames, Lost Souls in Endless Time, and the blob that made up the rest of the stuff. After listening to it for a while longer I could start to tell the difference between them, like a child learning to tell his colors apart.

Aagh, now guess what I'm listening to.

tldr: i say stuff other people dont so people will pay attention to me

Nomad said:

I never said "generic". I said traditional. Entombed, Grave, Obituary, Carcass, Death, very early Kreator, Brutal Truth. There are more common elements which are present in both grind and traditional death metal, and even modern grind and death, than there uncommon elements. The line between them is very vague and I'd say it's pretty pointless to try to define it.

That said, I personally don't really listen to that much death metal anymore. My tastes are mostly in more progressive oriented music, as well as the avant-garde.

I mean generic as in "relating to or characteristic of a whole group or class", not as some sort of pejorative. To call Cannibal Corpse, Grave, etc. anything but "generic death metal" would be doing them a disservice!

Mr. Chris said:

Not metal at all..well ironically Slipknot and Korn's first albums were the most metal out of all of their music.

I would also lump in stuff that sounds somewhat metal but isn't..like popular metalcore and deathcore, such as Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Suicide Silence and music that may sound metal but isn't at all (See nu-metal and rock, the latter is often confused over at the Encyclopedia Metallum).

So have we actually reached the point where metal is a sub-genre of metal? Or, if they're "not metal at all", what the hell are they? Interpretive Jazz?

DooMAD said:
Or, if they're "not metal at all", what the hell are they?

They're blasphemy. (And not the band, heh.) Metal IS a religion. :p

I used to be much into metal. Looking back, it appears I started to disregard it at the same time I started quitting D&D. You could that much in the aesthetics of (especially fantasy) RPGs and metal coincides. Eventually I found them to be too restrictive and self-absorbed, as if they were instruments of alienation. It's funny how metal shuns commercialness yet with its obsession of "metalness" falls into the trap of creating categories that can be so easily packaged as products.

I still listen to some stuff and occasionally come across some decent stuff I wasn't aware of, but it's not a pastime anymore.

jute said:
I mean generic as in "relating to or characteristic of a whole group or class", not as some sort of pejorative. To call Cannibal Corpse, Grave, etc. anything but "generic death metal" would be doing them a disservice!

Generic usually means it doesn't have remarkable or unusual qualities, as in "run of the mill," especially when it comes to something with aesthetic or creative qualities, so fans will probably get annoyed from hearing you say that, heh, as you just noted.

I like Dragonforce, they played brilliantly when i saw them live at Download 2009, and i will be going on a mini-tour of Lincoln and Cambridge to see them again later this year.

I also went to this: http://www.damnationfestival.co.uk/deathfest/ and it ruled. Even if most of that style of music just pisses me off when listened to non-live. And even some live, i think Reth even managed to bore my girlfriend, who really likes that stuff.

I also went to this: http://clubcitta.co.jp/001/thrash09-new/main.html and it was incredible. The circle pit for Exodus was amazing, though perhaps that was because i was the biggest guy in it for once.

deathbringer said:

I like Dragonforce, they played brilliantly when i saw them live at Download 2009

I'm kind of undecided. Some of the songs I've heard sound okay, others drag on (no pun intended) a bit. Can't remember why I missed them at Download now. I saw Static-X on Second stage and then Pendulum on Main, both of which were brilliant. Dragonforce played between the two on Main, but I must have been queueing for drink or looking for friends or something.

myk said:

They're blasphemy. (And not the band, heh.) Metal IS a religion. :p

Opinions certainly seem to carry similar weight. I've lost count of the number of threads I've seen on various forums where things have got out of hand because someone insulted a band or someone's taste in music. It almost looks like holy war, heh.

jute said:

The word you are looking for is Archetype, not Generic.

Krispavera said:

They released their Closure EP for free last year. It was supposed to be a full album, but those three songs are all we got. Was awesome nonetheless.

Hey, that was cool. The growling vocals were a bit out of place IMO, but the melodic parts were really nice. Thanks for sharing.

@Scet I kinda like your style.

I'm kinda particular about the grind I listen to. Not to say Anal Penetration is that bad (except the drums sound fake) but I prefer bands that are more oriented around politics and war. Not that weird slimy goregrind stuff. More like:

Kill the Client

HeWhoCorrupts Megacorp

Yacøpsæ

And some D-beat if anyone cares.

Warvictims

Berzerk

Distress

40oz said:

@Scet I kinda like your style.

That's nice, but the rest of your post seems to contradict this.

Krispavera said:

The only differences are this is a great song and they aren't AFI.

WAAAAAAAAIT. Not AFI. The song it reminds me of is from a former local band back when I lived in Cheyenne, called Bernadette. Though they probably easily could have been an AFI tribute band.

But actually now that I think of it, I have this song (from Ikuinen Kaamos) in my Winamp library anyway and I'm not sure how I didn't recall that. Apart from the first few riffs, it sounds just like Opeth (ESPECIALLY as the song gets around to 6:10) which is a band I have kind of a love-hate relationship with. Mikael is a pretty decent musician, but I find that Opeth's music feels a little too samey a little too often. His growls are really fucking brutal though, I'll give him that much.

Mr. Chris said:

I had a feeling I may have had opposition when I expressed my displeasure with Dragonforce. As a former listener of them, I don't hate them but over time it came to my ears that most if not all of their songs have a similar song structure and couldn't tell much of them apart, which they came apart as monotonous in sound.

Hell, even other power metal bands I listen to don't have the guitar wankery or overly similar song structure, such as Iced Earth, Avantasia and even Fairyland. Somehow, I have a slight preference for the more symphonic, keyboard tattered bands a little more than your traditionalish ones like Iced Earth or Helloween.

Power metal is arguably my favorite genre, not necessarily because I like power metal but most of my most favorite bands happen to be power metal. But I agree, none of them are quite like Dragonforce in that all Dragonforce is, is wankery and samey song structure.

My favorite power metal bands would be Adagio, Kamelot, and Iced Earth by far. Adagio has a fair bit of wankery but balances it out with amazing songwriting (especially on the album Underworld, which is my favorite album of all time). Kamelot has always been more full-songwriting oriented as well and although Thomas Youngblood is a pretty good guitarist, he doesn't embody the typical hotshot guitarist and wanks around with his guitar all the time, which I really appreciate. Iced Earth is Iced Earth. I mean, come on!

I feel compelled to share some Adagio because they are French and not very well known, so here goes:

Adagio - Next Profundis (From album Underworld)
Adagio - Chosen (From album Underworld)
Adagio - Dominate (From album Dominate)
Adagio - R'Lyeh The Dead (From album Dominate)
Adagio - The Fifth Ankh (From album Archangels in Black)

Their more recent albums could probably be easily compared with Symphony X, though, I suppose. Still, I like them a lot and could probably consider them my favorite band. Though it's really a tossup between Adagio, Kamelot, and Arcturus.

Nomad said:

WAAAAAAAAIT. Not AFI. The song it reminds me of is from a former local band back when I lived in Cheyenne, called Bernadette. Though they probably easily could have been an AFI tribute band.

Yeah, they definitely sound a lot like Opeth on that EP. I used to be a huge fan of Opeth, so I'll always have a place in my heart for them (even if they're totally not the same anymore). Blackwater Park and Still Life are among my favorite albums of all time.

Such an awesome opener.

Dr. Zin said:

The word you are looking for is Archetype, not Generic.

Either word is fine. Cannibal Corpse play (and helped define) generic death metal, without any significant deviations from those characteristics and standards. They don't have saxophone breaks, they don't use a billion polyrhthms, they don't write multi-part epics. They are pure generic death metal. There is nothing negative about the term, especially in extreme metal, where not deviating from very clear standards and characteristics is often admired (see CC, Bolt Thrower, etc.)

Still, generic sounds too negative. Maybe even "general" death metal would sound fine. Generic makes it sound like cookie cutter, manufactured, plain vanilla. But really there's no need to add anything to the title; just Death Metal is fine.

Ahhh no not Opeth...what a snoozefest they are to me. If I need slow stuff with growly vocals, I'll listen to funeral doom metal (which I already have a handful of artists of the genre)

During the late 90s, I was a DJ at a college radio station in Vermont called WRUV. I played nothing but metal. My show was called "Satan's Meatwagon". I played a lot of death metal and introduced to the city some good Scandinavian black metal such as Emperor and Dark Funeral. The very first song I ever played on the air was Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face", which was kind of a message at the time that I wasn't going to play any wussy music...and I kept to that philosophy for the life of my show.

Nowadays, I'll listen to anything that sounds good regardless of what genre it fits into. I find that hating on a particular band just because they fit into a genre, or even hating on a genre, is nothing more than brainless bandwagon-riding. I can easily separate the genius from the slop simply by listening to it. As such, I like some songs by bands such as Disturbed, Korn, Evanescence, etc. and I couldn't give a damn who cares because they don't HAVE to care...it's MY preference, not theirs. And furthermore, I tend to also know a lot about bands most people have never heard about, such as Killing Addiction or Ancient. I can also decipher Brujeria's lyrics for ya. :)

I used to be friends with the band Dethroned, the drummer of which owns Flatline Audio in Denver, who recorded something of Ancients, but I can't recall what. Ancient isn't really that obscure anyway, they're on Metal Blade Records.

Deciphering Brujeria's lyrics wouldn't be too hard as they're pretty much completely about marijuana anyway. :P

Haven't heard Killing Addiction. Might have to look them up.

Nomad said:

power metal power metal power metal power metal

I'm not a big fan of power metal, but Virgin Steele is one of my favourite bands. They seem far more sincere than all of the shitty overstuffed cheese metal bands out there.

Symphony-X deserves props too.

If you like Symphony-X, I definitely suggest Adagio. :P