Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Doom 2: The Master Levels is a pathetic excuse of a add-on pack.

Recommended Posts

Never_Again said:

If your only experience of Master Levels comes from PSX, see what you have been missing:
ATTACK.WAD
SUBSPACE.WAD
Ledmeister may find these somewhat familiar. :P

There are a few other videos for the PC version of Master Levels on YouTube, but save for NESSUS.WAD they are not much to look at. If there is interest I could do more of these.


Those maps actually look really fun to play. Shame I've never played the Master Levels :(

Share this post


Link to post

I talk to Chris Klie (Author of some of the master levels) pretty regularly on gmail about all things game related, and I found how they did the master levels pretty neat. Having played through some of those maps, I can agree that the quality is pretty low, but cut 'em some slack dude, this was 10 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Never_Again said:

If your only experience of Master Levels comes from PSX, see what you have been missing:
ATTACK.WAD
BLOODSEA.WAD
SUBSPACE.WAD
Ledmeister may find these somewhat familiar. :P

There are a few other videos for the PC version of Master Levels on YouTube, but save for NESSUS.WAD they are not much to look at. If there is interest I could do more of these.

edit: added bloodsea.wad


ATTACK and SUBSPACE are both in the PSX version, and yea i agree that they were rather fun but those are just 2 maps. The rest are either very mediocre or just plain boring to play.

Patrick said:

I talk to Chris Klie (Author of some of the master levels) pretty regularly on gmail about all things game related, and I found how they did the master levels pretty neat. Having played through some of those maps, I can agree that the quality is pretty low, but cut 'em some slack dude, this was 10 years ago.


I guess. I still think Id should have at least picked more good maps to put into the level pack before releasing it. I can easily think of a number of maps that should have been replaced with something better, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzjZMLO0Uk0

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

I can easily think of a number of maps that should have been replaced with something better, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzjZMLO0Uk0


Edit: I totally read that post wrong from the first time. I thought that you meant Canyon should be one of the levels added in to the pack, My bad.

That is actually one of my favorites from the pack, in fact, all of the Master Levels are really good IMO. My favorites would probably be all of the ones included in PSX Final Doom, as those are the ones that I played the most. The levels that weren't on there were good also.

I can't really find any level in that pack I can call bad in The Master Levels (Fistula was a little short for my liking though...). I really would consider The Master Levels to be mostly a collection of good maps that were made by users at the beginning of Doom's lifetime. So you can't really compare any of these maps with levels that have come out in the past two years, it just doesn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Mattfrie1 said:

So you can't really compare any of these maps with levels that have come out in the past two years, it just doesn't make sense.


I never attempted to compare them to anything recent. I just don't think allot of the levels (especially canyon) are good even by 1995-96 standards (note however that when i say "standards" i am referring to Id Software standards, not the standards of custom WADS at the time, and since The Master Levels is an official Id Software product i compare the Master Levels to other Doom releases released by Id like Final Doom for example).

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

I never attempted to compare them to anything recent. I just don't think allot of the levels (especially canyon) are good even by 1995-96 standards (note however that when i say "standards" i am referring to Id Software standards, not the standards of custom WADS at the time, and since The Master Levels is an official Id Software product i compare the Master Levels to other Doom releases released by Id like Final Doom for example).


Id were just showcasing that they have a vibrant, active community of map makers for their classic Magnum Opus. Doom was the first computer game that was heavily modified by the general public, and I'm pretty sure that has a a part to play as to why it still has an active and vibrant community.

Whether or not all the levels are masterpieces, they are a good demonstration for would-be level designers of what's good and what's crap.

To me it's just a library for inspiration. It's good and helpful to yourself as a map designer to see what makes a crap level as well as what makes a good one.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×