Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Some more GZDoom related questions

here goes. So what exactly is an alpha channel? How do I use them in GZDoom, and what could I use them for?

Patrick said:

here goes. So what exactly is an alpha channel?

Level of transparency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing

Patrick said:

How do I use them in GZDoom

With PNG files that have an alpha channel.
Alternatively, you can also specify the alpha property of actors with the Translucent renderstyle. Also the strength of a PowerInvisibility powerup in translucent mode. And linedefs have their own way of getting an alpha value, but I don't remember it OTOMH.

Patrick said:

and what could I use them for?

Making stuff more visible than invisible, but less visible than opaque.

This is all jargon to me (thanks for the response though.) But from your last description, is there really any need to create alpha channeled sprites/textures if I can simply apply these effects in the TEXTURES/DECORATE lump?

So how would I create a PNG image with alpha channels, what would it look like in a good image viewer/editor (like... photoshop/gimp?) and how would it look in GZDoom?

Patrick said:
So how would I create a PNG image with alpha channels, what would it look like in a good image viewer/editor (like... photoshop/gimp?) and how would it look in GZDoom? [/B]

In Photoshop, the easiest I've found is to just have no background layer, like so:

When saved as a PNG, Photoshop will convert the transparent parts into an alpha channel automatically. In this case the smiley would have a fuzzy outline when used as a texture in GZDoom.