Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

The first step towards Knights/Barons/Cybies?

Not only are these cows big and pumped up, but their moos sound deep and disturbing, reminding me of something else...

Heh, I saw this earlier in the week as it was linked to a National Geographic video of the velvet worm, a creature I wanted to see footage of after reading about it on wikipedia. You can see how this thing hunts prey about halfway through the video:

When plasma comes out of it's utters.... THAT'S when I'll start worrying. By that point, we'll probably be too late anyhow.

Technician said:

Goats. They were based off goats. But I guess the horns were cow-like.

printz said:

Well, I've always considered Cyberdemons as spiritual followers of the Cows...

Well....the Devil is always attributed goat-like resemblance, but the Barons and Cyberdemon have a stockiness and heavy muscling that is more bovine in nature. I still remember a Greek magazine calling Barons of Hell "Minotaurs", and even their sounds remind me of bovines. Heh, I'm almost tempted to rip the audio off that video and use it in Doom...

I always think of Cybers, Barons and Hell Knights as bovine. Especially the sound the Baron makes when he dies, that's most definitely a cow.

I like the Velvet Worm in that shot when he rears up after shooting, his arms are splayed out and you can imagine him cackling maniacally "Mua ha ha, I have you now!"

But...their moos are haunting. Just ask any dwarf.

Lord_Z said:

Those archers are the coolest fish I have ever seen.

I've always thought archer fish are awesome. I saw some at the Vancouver Aquarium a while back, and they're actually a bit bigger than I expected.

Maes said:

but their moos sound deep and disturbing

Yeah, they sound like doom HKs, not low pitched as usual.

Heh, well, I've downloaded it. Just so happens I have to give a lesson on selective breeding soon. :)

That video explains why knights and barons look like they're wearing pants - their upper body's shaved to accentuate the musculature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc

Well, here you got the Pistol Shrimp that can shoot things from a distance with a shockwave by snapping its claw, too. In fact, the temperature of the collapsing bubble becomes hotter then the surface of the sun for an instant.

Its only a matter of time untill science puts two and two together and you have bipedal, aquatic bovines melting and imploding submarines and army tanks with its lethal fusion claw.

Not sure about Bovine eugenics making Doom creatures a reality, but it must make good BBQ. 100 years worth of getting cows that produce the least amount of myostatin to reproduce.

I thought that too, tasty tasty cows. I also find this a great idea to combat world food supply as the global population increases. Imagine if these things were everywhere, and their traits were bred into all forms of edible livestock.

As someone who'd not such a fan of genetically modified foods I'm not adverse to these, it's not like they've done anything unnatural, just selective breeding. And really, what's the bet that our current dairy cows have also been selectively bred over the past hundreds of years?

No farmer is going to keep a cow around which is lame or won't produce milk, it's just not as visually shocking because a milky cow probably just looks like a normal cow with huge udders.

Well, more muscled cows aren't going to magically solve the problem of world hunger. Actually, I think these must consume even more forage than normal cows, as they don't deposit fat as efficiently, and thus need more primary protein to grow. They are a sort of premium meat, rather than a cheap alternative.

If the aim is producing masses of cheap meat, the best way is to use smaller, faster-growing animals (chickens, rabbits, or even rats and guinea pigs, with insects and bacteria being the most extreme possible source of animal protein, with the best growth efficiency).

Even better, using the food used for animals directly for human consumption.

Maes said:

If the aim is producing masses of cheap meat, the best way is to use smaller, faster-growing animals (chickens, rabbits, or even rats and guinea pigs, with insects and bacteria being the most extreme possible source of animal protein, with the best growth efficiency).

This came up in another thread, but there have been attempts to make in vitro meat. The idea is essentially meat that you grow without the need for an animal, which might be more efficient than what we have now. Meat products like that tend to resemble tumors however and don't seem very appetizing. I'm not sure the meat is very good quality either.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a situation like Soylent Green minus the people: pure blocks of flavored nutrients. Such products already sort of exist in the form of protein bars, but anyone who has tried them can tell you they generally taste like cardboard.

Let alone that in-vitro meat requires already refined nutrients, you can't directly feed it wheat or generic organic waste, while you can do this with small omnivore animals, insects and bacteria.

However yeah, the resulting "protein powders" would taste bland in either case,

Snarboo said:

This came up in another thread, but there have been attempts to make in vitro meat. The idea is essentially meat that you grow without the need for an animal, which might be more efficient than what we have now. Meat products like that tend to resemble tumors however and don't seem very appetizing. I'm not sure the meat is very good quality either.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a situation like Soylent Green minus the people: pure blocks of flavored nutrients. Such products already sort of exist in the form of protein bars, but anyone who has tried them can tell you they generally taste like cardboard.

There is work on a more economical form of that, a fungus-based textured protein called Quorn that can be made to resemble pretty much any sort of meat and doesn't require vast amount of nutrients like a real animal does.

Holy moo.

Something about how muscular those cows are kinda turns me off to any meat they may produce.

Oh wow, man. The 'Way of Maes' is an infinite loop. ;)

The thought of eating meat from those cows kinda grosses me out. I don't want to put anything in my mouth that looks like it came from Doom.

But I really don't know what I'm getting from the grocery store, though. So...(((shrug)))

EDIT: I could fire up the grill if y'all wanna put this stuff to the test.