Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

The Music Thread

I'm all about hearing new kinds of music and I'd like to hear some of what other people listen to. So, post your favorite song, give me an idea of what it's all about, and listen to what others post. Do not bash on others music choices, I don't really care about how hardcore your music is or isn't. Hopefully I'll be expanding my music library as a result of this.

That being said, my favorite song is George Gershwin's Rhapsody in blue. I have a certain sentimental attachment as my grandfather used to play this on the piano all the time. Otherwise it's just a catchy tune that I happen to love:

This lossy version doesn't do it justice. I love closing my eyes and listening to it with my in-ear monitors that block out all external noise.

Been listening to a lot of Nick Drake lately. All of his stuff was this great. Those who haven't heard of him should definitely check out his stuff.

Heh, I had an idea for making a thread where we recommend music to each other. Don't know why I never posted it. I have really varied music tastes, so I think it would be weird to post just one song. However, I'll just keep it to one song per post to avoid spamming the thread. Mark my words, though, I will be back.

I think my favorite song right now is Atlas, by Battles. It's really kind of out there and stuff, but it's been stuck in my head for about a year now and hasn't gotten old yet. Enjoy the full version:

Patrick said:

Rhapsody in Blue

I really like that piece. It's probably my favorite bit of music from either of the Fantasia movies.

exp(x) said:

Little Wing (SRV)

That song is amazing. One of my favorites. It's rare that anyone surpasses the original artist on a cover, especially Hendrix, but he totally blew the original version away with that. There is certain sentimental value for that song for me, because my parents used to slow dance to it when they were together. They were really heartbroken when Stevie Ray died. Retroactively, I am as well.

Krispavera said:

Nick Drake

Never heard of him, but he's not bad.

Digable Planets had so many good things going for them. It's sad that they only put out 2 albums.

Yeah the video's cheesy
I like bands from different kinds of metal: black & death metal, melodic death metal, thrash, metalcore, and speed/power metal.

Emperor is my favorite band because I like listening to heavy, intense music with a driving mood; and The Loss and Curse of Reverence is my favorite song because of the dark, minor guitar riff at the intro/outro and the keyboard parts that drive the intense sections of the verses.

Patrick said:
That being said, my favorite song is George Gershwin's Rhapsody in blue.

One of my trumpet colleagues played that song for a recital, what a great piece!

Hmm, looks like I might be the first to post some electronic music.

This is a hard one because it tends to change on me every so many months, and I love such a wide variety of music. To be honest I'm torn between two as my favorite song. One would be VNV Nation's Perpetual because it always leaves me with a smile on my face. Plus it's super fun to hear live.

The other one is this track by Ayria. I'm not sure why I like it, but I've been listening to it a LOT lately. Maybe it's because I think she's hot, or maybe it's because I own almost the same synth as their keyboardist uses and so I feel a connection there. Anyways, the video is to a live version, but there's also the album version here.

I don't know about an absolute favorite song, as that tends to change, but this is definitely on the top. I guess part of the charm comes from not understanding the language so I don't have to worry about the lyrics: Although good lyrics do improve a song, I find most lyrics distracting when they're too campy or just plain stupid. And I like longer songs with different themes and progression.

pt. 1

And pt. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYr4gB4kiOo

From the same band, something a little different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blrv83Zsam4

And for something not-metal, here's a great song from a great game. This soundtrack is one of the best things I've bought in a while:

I love the way that the guitar is being played like a banjo at the beginning. Another reason I like this song is because of the way that Mastodon effortlessly blurs genres together. There's also a charming quality to Brent's voice, you can hear his passion for the music he makes.

The reason I like this song is because is sounds like a cold, bitter machine. But, underneath the cold steel you can hear some flicker of feeling and soul. I absolutely love the way the guitars sound, too; almost machine-like themselves. The icing on this cake is Trent's vocals. Like Brent, you can hear that what he is singing is coming straight from his heart, even if it is about a whore.

This song is my absolute favorite off of the Downward Spiral album (Reptile being a very close second.) There's just a dark psychedelic quality in the first half of the song that hypnotizes me. The second half I like because of the sharp contrast that happens between the softer piano-driven part and the noisy guitar-driven outro. Not to mention, I like the lyrics.

KingKill33 said:

Mastodon effortlessly blurs genres together.

People keep saying this but I only ever hear the one.

Porcupine Tree! (Went to two concerts of theirs a week ago and it was the most amazing thing ever):

Riverside:

King Crimson:

Tangerine Dream:

Gazpacho:

I'm really enjoying Chevelle's newest album. Particularly stuck on this song

Also recently got introduced into this song which I've been diggin a lot lately

Not sure how great the video is though :P

EDIT: gotta throw in two more here

Gonna post some of my favorite band now. The Legendary Pink Dots are probably the best show I've ever seen live. The poor quality of their videos on Youtube doesn't reflect this well.

The version with the female vocalist doing some of the lines is the best, though it's still one of my favorite songs of theirs.

The first song of theirs I ever heard, and a lot of people's favorite. I got to see them do this live.

This is my all-time favorite track of theirs, and one of my favorite songs of all time. It's awesome to listen to while driving late at night.

The solo and the build-up afterwards give me chills every time. It's just so god damn beautiful <3. I just wish I could find a better quality video without parts missing.

It's not my usual listening, but it is just so funky and catchy and bizarre. I love it.

I'm actually going to listen to the shit in this thread rather than just ignore everyone else and selfishly post my own shit! Hueg post is hueg. Responses are in order of posts in the thread:

@Patrick: That's hands down my favorite clarinet-heavy piece. Definite classic tune.

@exp(x): Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of the greatest guitarists to ever live, and that tune is definitely one of his best.

@Krispy: Interesting song. The music itself reminds me of something Dire Straits would write, but the vocals threw me off a little. Not bad though.

@Danarchy: What the fuck is this. It's... Unique, at least.

@Snakes: Not too bad. Hip Hop is not my preferred genre, but I enjoy a few artists of the genre. The music of this reminds me of my favorite electronic artist (Amon Tobin), and the lyrics are delivered rather subtly rather than aggressively like much of the genre which is interesting. I don't think I'd add this to my library, but I like it.

@DeumReaper: I need to listen to more Emperor, but honestly this song doesn't make me want to. This is clearly the precursor to Dimmu Borgir and although I don't mind some of their stuff, that's not necessarily a good thing. It lacks soul, I guess. I prefer black metal that is more intelligent musically. As self-satirical as Immortal is, Damned in Black and Sons of Northern Darkness are both leagues better than this musically, and that is kind of sad to be honest.

@Blackfish: Awake is my favorite DT album, but Images and Words is unquestionably second. Great song from a talented band.

@Krispavara: Er, OK. The YT page says this is supposed to be comedy, but I'm not really laughing.

@Partition36: Can't say I can commit myself to listen to all 20 minutes of this. I like a lot of electronic music, but this is as generic as industrial comes, and this girl can't really sing that well (and I'm wondering why they bother having the dude up on stage playing the Guitar Hero drums). I'm listening to the album version and it's not any better.

@Jodwin: I've never really found a Japanese group that I really liked (Although X-Japan is not too bad), but this is actually pretty bad ass so far. Great musicianship, and good structure. I might have to steal some of this group's music. From these two songs, sounds like something I'd listen to anyway.

This videogame music is pretty standard, but looking up the game it looks interesting. Is Finnish made so can't be that bad.

@KingKill33: Mastodon is one of those bands that any "self respecting" metal head loves-to-hate. That said, they are all right and this song is one of the better one's I've heard. They remind me of if Mudvayne had been a little less mainstream.

I've never been a big fan of NIN either, and these songs aren't really any exception

@Blackfish: Not directly related to your video, but I'm getting really fucking frustrated with how slow youtube videos are loading for me today. Word to the wise: Never use Qwest DSL.

Anyway, never been a big fan of Dance music, or whatever arbitrary sub-genre this is supposed to be. This is all right but not my cup of tea.

@Scet: The vocalist doesn't sound very thrilled to be singing for this band. All around, just sounds like a garage band trying to copy their heroes from the 70s-80s. Can't say I'm a fan.

@Khorus: This is awful. But somehow, in a good way. I like it.

@AgentSpork: Porcupine Tree is awesome. I discovered them through the digital cable music channels many years ago, and I've liked them ever since. I'd listen to this whole song but Youtube isn't loading well for me today and even after walking away for a good 15 minutes, it was still barely over halfway loaded.

I like this Riverside. Pretty mellow stuff, but obvious prog metal influence. From this song it's like they took the good bits of Tool and threw the rest out, which is a good thing because I borderline hate Tool. I notice some Opeth influence in there too, which isn't a bad thing either.

Ah, King Crimson--classic pretentious prog rock at its finest. But truly they are progenitors of progressive music and deserve praise. This is a pretty good tune to boot.

Tangerine Dream is possibly something I should know more about, but I guess I'm must not that much interested in this music. Definitely forerunners of modern electronic music though.

This Gazpacho reminds me of Radiohead, though I guess not in a bad way. It's not bad and nothing explicitly wrong with it, but it's too safe for my tastes.

Overall interesting things you've shared, though.

@Kirby: By the time Chevelle came out I was getting into heavier more complex music, but I suspect if I hadn't I might like them more. But that didn't happen, and I don't like them. But to each his own.

Though not really my favorite genre, this other song from "Madcon" is tolerable, and possibly enjoyable. The biggest thing I hate about modern hip hop is the constant self-indulgence, mysogony, and all that other stereotypical shit; which this lacks, and makes me automatically appreciate it even if I don't really care for it.

This Deadmau5 is tolerable. Of all the electronic genres, this dance-y stuff isn't really my favorite though. I prefer more IDM, industrial, and experimental stuff.

This Kings of Leon is boring. Reminds me of Three Doors Down with synths.

@Danarchy: Thanks, with that first song now I can safely say I know where Trent Reznor stole his sound from.

Can't say I care for the second song. It's a mishmash of Pink Floyd and The Smiths, and what is the synth--harmonica? Ok.

The third song is all right until the obnoxious monotonous British vocals kick in and removes any doubt that it sucks. Hate to say.

@Brinks: RUUUUUUUSSSSHHHH. I inherited my love of Rush from my dad, and that's one of my favorite Rush songs too. Great stuff. I hope to get to see them live before they die/break up for good.

@Kyka: Doesn't look like you put in a valid YouTube video ID.

@exp(x): Seen it before, and probably liked it about as much as I do now. Meh. I should watch that show some time though.

Nomad said:

@Krispavara: Er, OK. The YT page says this is supposed to be comedy, but I'm not really laughing.

It's not supposed to be blatantly hilarious, but more tongue in cheek. The album is actually based off his BBC miniseries called Snuffbox. The show is strange and is pretty funny, but you'd only really get a kick out of the album if you've watched the show and listen to it as a whole.

Might be a bit over people's heads to just post one song like that if that's the case. *shrug*

I'm going to post some shit now:

Deamon Painter by Arcturus, off the album Sideshow Symphonies. This group quickly grew to being a favorite of mine. They have a huge variety of well written music ranging from black metal to downright bizarre. Other songs from them I want to pimp include:

Wintry Grey, from Aspera Hiems Synfonia. More black metal oriented, from their first album. My favorite off their first album, and I love the cover of it from the group Quadrivium even more.
The Chaos Path, from La Masquerade Infernale. This song defines the term "Avante-garde". Very circusy riffs companied by some insane vocal work from Simen Hestnaes and Kristoffer Rygg (hard to tell where one begins and the other ends, but they're both singing). Arguably my favorite Arcturus tune next to Deamon Painter.
Master of Disguise, also from La Masquerade Infernale. I can definitely understand if this is hard to listen to for some people, but this song just blows my mind. Amazing style.
Master of Disguise (Phantom FX Remix), from Disguised Masters. Gansgta rap remix of the last song. Seriously, fucking awesome.
Nightmare Heaven, from The Sham Mirrors. My favorite song from this album. I love the trip hop intermission. Also has a great cover by the group Echinopsis.

Doom Dude said:

How the heck do you embed youtube videos on here....

Buckethead ~ Soothsayer

Hey Doom Dude!

Buckethead is pretty decent. Haven't heard this song before. Enjoyable but not something I'd probably keep in my library.

Nomad said:

Meh. I should watch that show some time though.

I watched it for a while but found it was no longer funny by the time the prime minister character was introduced.

exp(x) said:

I watched it for a while but found it was no longer funny by the time the prime minister character was introduced.

i saw both seasons. season 1 was definitley better, season 2 became pretty dry until the last episode.