Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

How to tile High Resolution sky pictures (again)

How do I tile high resolution sky pictures?
I have asked this question before, but I still can't do it :-(

I made high resolution versions of the Plutonia skies, but the orignals consist of multiple patches, so they don't have the normal x-y ratio.
I can get normal ratio hi-res skies to work, but not others.

I made a wad containing my high resolution pictures:
Download the wad file.

I put the textures between 'HI' markers and imported the raw data as png files.

When you run the wad (in zdoom for example) it displays Sky1 pefectly, which makes sense since it has the standard x-y ratio.
However Sky 2 and 3 do not tile, but only repeat the first half of the texture. (It is the most visible for sky2.)

Furthermore I noticed Sky1 is displayed in XWE with reduced colors while it looks fine in the game. And the file size is too big. 6 MB for 3 textures?!

So... after all this time I still don't understand what I am doing wrong or what I should be doing to fix it. Can anyone help me out?

Looks like an engine bug in ZDoom. In GZDoom the full skies are drawn, including the glitch at the right edge of SKY2.

Works fine with glboom-plus (similar to gzdoom)

t.v. said:

Furthermore I noticed Sky1 is displayed in XWE with reduced colors while it looks fine in the game. And the file size is too big. 6 MB for 3 textures?!

There are two 2048x512 png textures. Use jpg instead of png if size matters

You can try PNGOUT and/or OptiPNG to shrink the filesize of your images.

thanks for the help guys.

So is Zdoom to blame? Does anyone know of a wad that works with Zdoom that has tiled high resolution sky textures?

maybe I should ask this on the Zdoom forum...

This is most likely a bug in the sky rendering code. I have a suspicion that the 1024 is hard coded as the maximum size in there.

Since the sky renders fine in other ports we can safely rule out that you did something wrong, I think.