Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PainCakes xX

Final Doom demos going out of sync with PrBoom

I have the most recent version, and a lot of the time, when I run a Final Doom demo with it it goes out of sync.

I don't know why, and when I used to watch demos on PrBoom a year ago (have a new HDD now so I had to re-download PrBoom) it all worked fine. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

And a bit of an unrelated question, but how do I access the Command Line?

PainCakes xX said:
I have the most recent version, and a lot of the time, when I run a Final Doom demo with it it goes out of sync.

Some Final DOOM demos were recorded using the executable for DOOM II: Hell on Earth. For those, you need to either force compatibility level 2 (-complevel 2) in the command line, or use DOOM II as the IWAD and load the Final DOOM IWAD as a PWAD. Most demos recorded this way say it in the text file, like this:

Recorded using Doom2 Version 1.9
  Doom2 -File Plutonia.wad -PlayDemo with Version 1.9
For demos recorded with the Final DOOM executable (which means you play them normally in PrBoom) the text file usually says something like this:
  Recorded using The Final Doom Version 1.9 !
  Doom2 -PlayDemo with The Final Doom Version 1.9 - Only
A handful of demos might actually say the wrong thing in the text file, so if you experience a desynch in one of these while using the indicated mode, just try the other option.

And a bit of an unrelated question, but how do I access the Command Line?

It should appear as CMD in the Start menu, or you can type that in Run. You can then type cd plus the path to your PrBoom folder (cd d:\games\doom\prboom or whatever).

By most "recent version" do you mean 2.5.0? If so, the desynch can't be in the program, and should be user-defined. Try to describe how you go about executing PrBoom to play the demo. What you click on and what you type.

Also, if it's a TNT demo that runs though Map31, make sure the fixed level (tnt31.wad) is also loaded, if required. Generally, max-style demos use it while speed-style ones don't.

I downloaded the file, and added the iWADS into the folder.

I then downloaded the demos and put them in the same folder. I usually either drag/drop the file icons into the PrBoom application or type "prboom -playdemo *demoname*" in the command line.

All Doom and Doom 2 demos have worked as far as I can tell. Most TNT demos have as well. I've tried running the NM100% demos of Plutonia maps 3, 4 and 23 and all have gone out of sync.