Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aaronjw

Exporting a previously made map to another format in DB2

I've just now started experimenting some with the Doom in Hexen format in DB2, using some tutorials on the internet. I've learned how to make 3d bridges, silent teleports, and slopes. As some of you may know, I've been working on map for a while called Tower of Belial. I was originally making it in the Doom 2 format, but now that I've started using the Doom in Hexen format, I'd like to work on the map in that format so I can do some other stuff. So, is it possible to change my current wad into a ZDoom based wad? I really want to use some of the ZDoom features, but I *******ely don't want to start the whole map over.

Thanks!

EDIT-- I was also wondering: when people refer to the ZDoom format, to they usually mean the Doom in Hexen format?

the iron hitman said:

Easy. Just go to the "edit" tab, then click "map options. There is a drop-down menu where the list of formats supported are available. Simply look for "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) to change the options.

This does not work. Do not do this, and do not save the map after doing this. Doom 2 and ZDoom formats are different enough that they are not compatible and simply changing the format title will corrupt it.

To the OP: Use ZWadConv to convert maps to ZDoom format.

Or, since you're using Doom Builder 2, I believe you can just open the map in one window and have a fresh new ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format map open in another window concurrently, and you should just be able to select everything from your other map and copy over to the new one and I believe the formatting will be effectively converted into the new format. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember CodeImp (the DB2 developer) saying something to this effect.

I know for a fact that ZWadConv works, so that will probably be the best bet.

Nomad said:

This does not work. Do not do this, and do not save the map after doing this. Doom 2 and ZDoom formats are different enough that they are not compatible and simply changing the format title will corrupt it.

To the OP: Use ZWadConv to convert maps to ZDoom format.

Or, since you're using Doom Builder 2, I believe you can just open the map in one window and have a fresh new ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format map open in another window concurrently, and you should just be able to select everything from your other map and copy over to the new one and I believe the formatting will be effectively converted into the new format. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember CodeImp (the DB2 developer) saying something to this effect.

I know for a fact that ZWadConv works, so that will probably be the best bet.

It doesn't work? Sorry, I didn't know that. My fault.

A method I've heard about is saving the whole map as a prefab, then inserting it in a blank new map in the other format.

In DB1, you can just copy the map, open a new one in another format and paste. Though no triggers or sector types are preserved.

I assume that would work in DB2.

In DB1 v1.68, you can preserve line actions and sector effects by going into Configuration - Editing - and check "copy effects and tags when pasting". But I only use that method for converting zdoom maps to doom2 format maps, and then changing all of the line actions and sector effects and thing flags by hand.

I downloaded ZWADCONV. But (after I extracted it from the zip file), when I click on the .exe, it looks like it brings up a dos box, but it's only open for a fraction of a second, so I can't actually do anything. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Vista, if that makes a difference.

Put zwadconv.exe in the folder where your wad is, open notepad and write this:

zwadconv yourwad.wad yourwadhex.wad

save that txt file to the folder where your wad is, then rename it so that the extension is .bat instead of .txt, then doubleclick the .bat file (it opens zwadconv and converts yourwad.wad to hexen format -> yourwadhex.wad)

That might be because when you just drag the file onto the exe, it's missing the output parameter. If so, that might not work and I'm wrong. Which is entirely possible but I don't really have the motivation to try it out. :P

But regardless, if you convert a map from, say ZDoom(Doom in Doom) format to ZDoom(Doom in Hexen) format, you still have to go through manually and change all the linedef and sector tags/actions etc etc, don't you, because all the actions/tags/arguments are completely different in (Doom in Hexen).

Or is that the hard way?