Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[CZ]mr.twister

doom contests

Hello, last year we started the new doom contest site via http://www.contest.idoom.cz/. We are announce a contest every two weeks in Sunday. There are two categories of recording:
1) flash contest (you have an hour to record a demo)
2) weekly contest (the deadline is mostly one week)

I know, ther´s a language barrier, but you can use the google translator (http://translate.google.com/). We are gladly welcome foreign players:) If you have a question, contact me here, cyu.

Hope you undestand my excellent english:) (sry)

especially graim's dwango5map01 run that tied hegyi's c-n contest record using different route. :)

I decided to give it a try - "weekly" contest this time only, as I won't have too much time tomorrow for a "flash" one. I PM'ed mr.twister but he didn't answer. Can you guys who are familiar with the contest answer the following questions:
- Is it open for people not registered at idoom?
- Is it "just announced and anyone can submit a demo" or is there a list of participants before the contest starts?
Thanks in advance.

i guess anyone's welcome to record a demo once the contest is up. the upload interface is here. no need to register anywhere (i think), just keep the right complevel and demo naming convention. the zip file itself will be automatically renamed with the info from the upload form. if you don't understand some part, feel free to ask. info txt file is not necessary, but if you wish to comment on something... we mostly don't, because we keep the bitching to the forum thread. :)

hmm ... The Green Herring is the first foreign player who participated on yesterday Flash contest and got 2nd best time, nice! :-)

Funny thing is, I didn't even realize I had participated in the Flash contest in the first place. When I submitted my entry, I thought I had arrived too late for the Flash contest, so I thought I was participating in the Weekly contest.

Time zones sure are wacky, aren't they? ;)

Speaking of which, are the times listed on the site in CEST (SELČ) or UTC (in Czech)? Just so I have a frame of reference whenever I want to participate in it again... Heh.

[CZ]mr.twister said:
This contest is a little shitty (you maybe met the gay mancubus duo..:)

an_coop-TheGreenHerring-48-89.txt said:

For the record, those mancubi are total pricks.

So yes, I did. :p Bastards. :(

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Also, is there a rule against submitting more than one demo for the same contest? I don't see any on the Rules page, but maybe it's hidden somewhere in Google's crappy machine translation.

You can send as many demos as you want to for both Flash and Weekly contest, the best time counts, of course :-)

I actually enjoyed the level, with a fair design as for '96. Initially I thought it would be more complicated: without watching the other participants' demos I made a 3:16, then 2:13 (with the BFG, of course, to kill the mancubi, and with blue armor...). Then I saw the times of the other demos: 48 to 57 seconds! What the hell? Was it supposed to be a -nomonster demo? I watched them and I thought they have a few Adam Williamsons there in the Czech Republic. My 49-second demo may be not enough to gain any points (it may even be the slowest one), but I'm still happy with it seeing my obvious progress. I also had a run with pressing the exit switch and dying at the same time (0% health, then the intermission screen). I didn't know it was possible.

Edit: a few second thoughts:

- Flash contest: did TGH's demo arrive too late so he's not included?
- The 43"51 demo is very neat
- Any takers for a pacifist? :-)

i think tgh's demo was late for the flash contest, it wasn't there 30minutes after the deadline when i checked. gusta probably wrote that post after returning from a pub. :)

oh, and there's a significant deadline effect... you record a huge improvement on wednesday, but if you upload it, the other guys will slave their asses off to beat you in the last 10 minutes on sunday. :)

dew: I checked the contest site around sunday night. Who would suppose that the demo came after the Flash-contest deadline ... so sorry for the confusion.

I must say I love your demos, mr.Twister. They are waaay much more enjoyable to watch than the rocket-jump serie. But I had no choice: when I saw the map my jaw dropped (it is HUGE! it has cyberdemons! arch-viles! nooo!), so I could only hope I would get just one successful RJ within an hour. I'm no expert at these, so I assume I was extremely lucky.

Oh, and I cannot watch demos by hokis and Draza. Complevel = ??

Draza's is a Doom compatibility demo and hokis' is the same but longtics. PrBoom should detect them automatically. What happens when you try playing them?

And graim's is a Boom demo.

Well, in both demos in the 7-8 second the player doesn't enter the hallway but goes into the corner and gets destroyed by the Baron. But nevermind, I've just watched them using the old PRBoom 2.4.7 and everything's fine. BTW, Draza's demo is the cleverest :)

Ah, if the guys used an old version of PrBoom there may have been a compatibility bug. To play demos produced with buggy versions without having to keep the old executables you can use the current PrBoom+ like this:

PrBoom-plus -playdemo demoname -emulate 2.4.7

myk said:

Draza's is a Doom compatibility demo and hokis' is the same but longtics. PrBoom should detect them automatically. What happens when you try playing them?

And graim's is a Boom demo.

haha, oh wow. a complevel massacre. :) by the way, with prboom+ 2.5.3, even belial's run on DSDA desyncs for me. the map is haunted!

How you guys see hundreds of seconds when playing back demos (thought Prboom+ had some setting but haven't found)? Btw this competition inspired back to Doom :p

Hi guys,

finally I found some time to register here :) Me and Twister are planning to improve some things about Idoom contest, so it will be more suitable for foreign players.

There will be minor changes in rules and we will try to translate most of the content for you.

We will also be happy, if anyone can suggest few good wads, so we can look at some of them and pick some maps for the upcoming contests.

Thanks for your help and we are looking forward to getting more great demos from you guys.

Any ideas for new improvements are welcomed :)

First of all I'd like to say that the very idea of "Flash Contest" is great, it is adrenaline pumping, regardless of the WAD and category.

My ideas:

1) From what I've seen, the contests in the past were UV speed/ pacifist / "nomonsters and collect all the weapons". From time to time you can add Maxes and a whole bunch of weird categories which can be found here ("Contest" section) or here. If a category is too complicated to record demos within an hour, you may use UV Speed for Flash Contest and this category (and the same WAD) for Weekly Contest.

2) A preference should be made to the levels without demos recorded to avoid situations such as one with VV2 :) Or, with demos recorded, but with lame, easily beatable demos.

EDIT: BTW, adding "No RJ jumps" (and/or Arch-vile jumps if you like) would do the trick in the current contest. I can offer help with minor corrections of English texts.

vdgg said:

First of all I'd like to say that the very idea of "Flash Contest" is great, it is adrenaline pumping, regardless of the WAD and category.

My ideas:

1) From what I've seen, the contests in the past were UV speed/ pacifist / "nomonsters and collect all the weapons". From time to time you can add Maxes and a whole bunch of weird categories which can be found here ("Contest" section) or here. If a category is too complicated to record demos within an hour, you may use UV Speed for Flash Contest and this category (and the same WAD) for Weekly Contest.

2) A preference should be made to the levels without demos recorded to avoid situations such as one with VV2 :) Or, with demos recorded, but with lame, easily beatable demos.

EDIT: BTW, adding "No RJ jumps" (and/or Arch-vile jumps if you like) would do the trick in the current contest. I can offer help with minor corrections of English texts.

Thanks for your ideas. I went through some contest objectives in the link, that you posted and it is a really good idea. I suggest that if we stated, that you must collect the yellow key in the vv2.wad, we would avoid turning the weekly contest into a fastest suicide exit contest.

I´ll surely discuss this with Twister and I guess we´ll make some improvements for the next round.

If any of you guys would like to compete for fun in the vv2.wad, do some recording in the ordinary way, as Hokis and Twister did (I tried some attempts too, but it is still too slow)

Cheers