Find results in...
gggmork

hard gameplay-only map 'pockets'

EDIT:
mmm k, this is the final version with demo:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x3x18a

--
The name is dumb and meaningless again.
Its probably frustratingly hard (only uv difficulty implemented); havn't beat it without cheating yet but seems realistically possible (I'll try a demo later).
'gameplay only' means I mostly concentrate on gameplay, not detail/textures.

intended for prboomplus- it does work in zdoom but lack of infinitely tall stuff makes monsters behave different (the lost soul part, especially, is probably harder in zdoom if even possible).

When you said "frustratingly hard" I wasn't expecting "bullshit hard."

In my opinion the map is unplayable without cheats. I do like the idea and the texture choices though.

Fun. I only got to the teleporting cyberdemon, for now I'm stuck at the part where walls lower and revenants come out.

Wow. Quite an interesting map there. I too survived the cyberdemon to the wall lowering and revenants etc., but I said meh after a few tries. A bit before that though I iddqded through, and must say it looks do-able in parts (TAS-able maybe ...) but I wouldn't want to try a full run through. I agree that the lost soul part may be incredibly difficult for zdoom, but the cacodemon horde would be much easier to handle, so it kind of evens out. The spidermastermind horde was pretty WTFish, but I kinda expect crazy stuff from you ;)

The hardest part for me would probably be the part after the teleporting cyber or fighting the individual cybers in those small switch rooms for the stairs to lower for the red key, especially since you have to snag the BFG under it's eye and I still haven't practiced 2shotting cybers much.

Here's a close but failed run (had to be an idiot and try to run through the cacos with low life and low ammo..):
(link removed- I just put that demo and the old version in the first post's link too)

Someone should make an "Asshole Doom" map inspired by Kaizo Mario World that is completely made up of unfair, infuriating fuck-you traps that must be learned by trial and error, and upload a video of it on YouTube. The focus would be less on actual hard gameplay than just plain cheap deaths and trial and error.

I reckon you could probably make it a touch more forgiving in spots, and add a little detail and this would kick arse.

One of the better maps you've made gggmork :)

Edit - Just watched the demo. Damn, that was such a beautiful run until the end :(
Did you just forget you were low on health, or were you after something behind the caco's?

This demo is nothing short of amazing. Very cool! I suppose a TAS demo wouldn't be fun to watch, even if successful (i.e. with exit).
My favourite part was when I saw hundreds of imp fireballs in the "crater". Also, gggmork, you never seem to get tired of torturing yourself with 2-BFG-shots-per cyberdemon. Why not give the player just one more energy cell in the beginning? ;-)

Yeah, I'm sure ggg will post a full max demo eventually - the fail demo was cool. :)

EDIT - btw, intentional that you can press the switch in the middle of the lost soul room before the metal barrier lowers?

Hitting the switch early is a bug, thanks; I'll have to upload a new version later I guess (also might move the lost-soul-starting-megasphere right on the warp to force its pickup).

I guess I figured the cacos were mostly dead so I'd be able to plow through faster. Next time I'll probably just bfg the center cybers myself before hitting the reverent switch. Though the way I did it in that demo saved bfg ammo.

This map was fairly easy to test because it has modular parts (the left and right parts could be tested independently, just by moving the player start temporarily... as opposed to having to wade through long beginning parts over and over just to test small changes to the end parts..).. I suspect death destiny's maps were modular like that. But I purposely removed a backpack from the right area just to force 2-bfg hitting the cybers, heh heh.

I just saw some of the 'asshole mario' youtubes (I remember a hard NES mario, but first time I saw this SNES one). That would be cool for doom.. but there's no continuation points for when you die, unless you save.

Ok, I only fixed the switch, moved a megasphere and tried to make the cyber warp more randomly which didn't really work; put final version in first post. Still has bug where enormous masterminds actually warp inside tiny caco cubbies and get stuck, all well (so I included a demo (kinda more casual this time I guess) but it wasn't 100% max due to that). The caco part is tedious/infinitely tall.

Included an amateur unfitting midi that doesn't loop well I made to make the level even more frustratingly annoying (can't even have more than 1 instrument in modplug tracker's midi format apparently).

Woolie Wool said:

Someone should make an "Asshole Doom" map inspired by Kaizo Mario World that is completely made up of unfair, infuriating fuck-you traps that must be learned by trial and error, and upload a video of it on YouTube. The focus would be less on actual hard gameplay than just plain cheap deaths and trial and error.

suh i say suh i accept your challenge.

Also played through it. took me about 25 minutes to figure out the whole thing.