Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Running wads easily.

This is an easy way to run wads in Windows XP. I have all my wads in one directory, but sometimes I am using Windows Explorer and I want to run a wad?

Just right-click on the wad and click 'open with' and click browse and navigate to where zdoom.exe is and select that. Then click OK. Then you can right-click on a wadfile and select open with and then zdoom. I have xwe selected as well, that was setup first and is the default. But this is a good way of running wads easily. Make sure you tick always use this program for this type of file and it will be easily set up. I just set this up and I double click on a wadfile and the Zdoom iwad chooser pops up.

DIE-KNOW-MIGHT! YOU'RE COOKING WITH GAS!

There's also raw command line and making 1000 separate bat-files for each .wad ;-)

Other creative ways I can think of running Doom ports include shortcut key bindings, VBScript/JScript, scheduled tasks etc.

You can also combine methods: e.g. run .bat files from a command line, or run launchers from a command line, or even run a command line from within launchers (you could do that in DOS) and then run...etc. etc.

Whatever works for you :-p

My keyboard has 18 extra keys that I can configure to do whatever I want. So I can customise it to run 18 different WADs at the touch of a button if I like.

However, I don't. :P I use ZDL instead (which is bound to one of the buttons ;) ).

Enjay said:

My keyboard has 18 extra keys that I can configure to do whatever I want. So I can customise it to run 18 different WADs at the touch of a button if I like.

However, I don't. :P I use ZDL instead (which is bound to one of the buttons ;) ).

My keyboard has 8 extra keys of which I can configure three to do whatever I want. So I can customise it to run 3 different WADs at the touch of a button if I like.

However, I don't. :P I use CDL instead (which is bound to one of the buttons ;) ).

[/pimp]

I just sit in front of my computer and say, in a clear voice, "GZDoom, Doom 2, Rebirth", for instance.

Nothing ever happens,but I'm a patient man. It'll learn.

aldiboronti said:

I just sit in front of my computer and say, in a clear voice, "GZDoom, Doom 2, Rebirth", for instance.

Heh, try saying something like "prboom+ 2.5.0.3, Doom 2, Scythe 2 second release, map 29, skill 4, compatibility level 2, record demo s229-1" ;)

I can't wait for voice recognition. :P

Heh - ask me about Dragon Dictate. Tried it several years ago and failed miserably, my voice is too low-pitched for reliable recogmition. :(

Enjay said:

My keyboard has 18 extra keys that I can configure to do whatever I want.

Well you could use one of 'em to make your crappy internet connection much faster.

mumble mumble you said configure them do do whatever you want mumble mumble

aldiboronti said:

lol

aldiboronti said:

You should start by teaching it simple phrases, like "Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

Jodwin said:

After figuring that ZDL was going to be a jerk and refuse to Chocolate Doom, I gave this a fair shot, and I like it a lot.

I just have one question. How do you pronounce C#4rp? I always read it as Cr4p (crap) but looking more closely at it I guess it's supposed to spell Charp (sharp)? Or is it C# for rp (whatever that is)?

DuckReconMajor said:

I just have one question. How do you pronounce C#4rp? I always read it as Cr4p (crap) but looking more closely at it I guess it's supposed to spell Charp (sharp)? Or is it C# for rp (whatever that is)?

Sharp, or C-sharp. It's written in C#, hence the name.

DuckReconMajor said:

After figuring that ZDL was going to be a jerk and refuse to Chocolate Doom

Given that it's called ZDoom Launcher, it's not too much of a surprise when some other ports don't run well with it. ;)

Yeah, I know. Back in my ZDoom only days I used it quite a bit. Once I started using other ports, though, and it wouldn't work with all of them, I went bare command line for a while. Now I'm starting to use Cr4p, I mean, C#4rp.

Enjay said:

Given that it's called ZDoom Launcher, it's not too much of a surprise when some other ports don't run well with it. ;)

Anything that doesn't directly support ZIP files, to be precise. CDL gets around this limitation by temporary ZIP extraction.

I wouldn't have thought the zip thing was a huge issue - just make sure you add WADs, not zips to ZDL. However:

ZDL uses "+map MAP01" rather than "-warp 01" to get to a specific map and there will be a number of ports that do not support that.

It also uses the -iwad parameter and although most ports probably support that, perhaps some don't?