Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antidote

UAC Terraforming Base 1102 (Green Base) - for testing

Its not anywhere near complete. I plan on making the current exit into a fake exit, revealing more of the level, but for now I want people to test what I have.

Screenshots:

The main color here is green, why? I don't know I just found some green textures and made them work. Difficulty settings are implemented, but its still generally hard at easy. UV is your best bet, it is the most balanced.

All credit goes to Nick Baker and his MONTRES.WAD for the textures.

There are secrets. First secret is an easter egg of sorts.

Know bugs:
Sky textures is out of place. I didn't want this texture, but it replaced it anyway. Slight HOM or two later on in the level. This is due to a missing texture that I forgot to add. Exit door does not have door tracks, and they are not unpegged. This is for testing purposes. The exit room is not final.

Download link (beta): http://www.mediafire.com/?ozztm5uuetm

Guest DILDOMASTER666

This looks mighty interesting. I'm getting home in roughly an hour or two as of this post, so I'll be sure to check this out.

Maybe Terraforming Base is not a proper name. I just finished a new room, and its full of Nukage. Perhaps I'll name it something different. OR it could be Algae water for terraforming! Ahh the imagination runs wild on this one.

Has anyone had a chance to play it? How is it? Constructive comments appreciated.

New room:

There will be more, this is just part room of this new room.

Looks really snazzy so far. Died in the room with the rocket launcher. (Couldn't see a chaingunner through the middle 'transparent' wall. Doh.)

As for bugs:

You can't pick up the blue key in skills 1/2/3?
The missing texture(s) on the lines of sector 341, which I think you're aware of.
You've unpegged line 2805, not just the door tracks.

I agree the sky looks out of place right now.Maybe something... green? :P

Keep it up, I'm liking your mapping style quite a lot so far.

Antidote said:

I don't know I just found some green textures and made them work.

Hardly an effort considering how green is generally speaking one of the most placid and most commonly used color in the spectrum.

Played through what you have so far. I tried it first in ZDoom but the first door wouldn't even work. Everything seems to work fine in GZDoom though.

I'm not really fond of base levels so my opinion might be biased. So far the level is pretty much completely linear especially with the weapons given to you in a nice neat order as you go (I'm guilty of unremarkable weapon placement too though). I like how the monster closets open up into hell-tech. It's a nice contrast.

I get the idea of the enemies getting progressively harder as you upgrade your arsenal, but using a pistol against imposing numbers of Imps and Demons is very dull and tedious. I forget who said this but I believe the quote was something like "No one uses the pistol." So maybe you should consider placing the shotgun a little earlier, because not everyone will be able to find that secret shotgun.

Once you get a feel for the level it's not super hard. It can get tricky though. So I'd say difficulty okay. Ammo and health is good, and by forcing some in fighting you can stay ahead of the game. Some specifics about the fights, the close quarters somewhat forces you to stay in the doorways of the bluekey room to fight off the Hell Knights and Imps. That felt kind of awkward.

Oh, and about the green theme. It's nice for a base level, but like I said I'm not big on bases, so you can disregard this last comment.

So to sum up:
-No one likes the pistol
-Might want to consider less linearity
-Cramped doorway combat is a turnoff

No one likes the pistol

And especially not Phml.

Sometimes I use the console to summon a shotgun, sometimes I give up. Today I just gave up. :p

Insane_Gazebo said:

You can't pick up the blue key in skills 1/2/3?
The missing texture(s) on the lines of sector 341, which I think you're aware of.
You've unpegged line 2805, not just the door tracks.

Fixed bugs listed. Also found various items that do not appear in Easy mode, fixed those as well. All items should appear in all modes.

I haven't decided where to put the shotgun. It seems fine where it is currently (to me), but if no one likes it then I guess I could move it into the room where the circular pipes are (1 room earlier).

It doesn't work in ZDoom? That's strange, the mode I'm using for DB2 is ZDoom (Doom in Doom Format). Perhaps it has to do with Generalized Actions (what I use for doors).

As for linearity... hmm. I haven't decided how to fix this. Personally, I love linearity, but apparently most people do not. The next room I made will be less linear, I suppose.

As far as it being a base themed level, it will eventually becomes more tech-hell themed. Just wait, everything you've seen so far in this theme (tech-hell) is just a preview of what comes next. So look forward to that.

Oh and Kristus, I'm sorry you feel that way, I like green.

Antidote said:

Oh and Kristus, I'm sorry you feel that way, I like green.

I don't think he was saying he hated green so much as it is a nice, easy going color.

Antidote said:It doesn't work in ZDoom? That's strange, the mode I'm using for DB2 is ZDoom (Doom in Doom Format). Perhaps it has to do with Generalized Actions (what I use for doors).[/B]

I don't get it either. Anyway, looking forward to finished product.

Does any know where there is a recolored version of F_SKY1 that is primarily green? That would be perfect!

Oh, well, then... hmm I guess that I retract my comment?

Finished product won't be for awhile. I have a hard time finishing levels (as in figuring out where to put an exit door, and where to stop adding parts to the level. There is never enough detail!)