Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

Stupid skulltag/zdoom challenge

I like to mess around with the bfg10k in god mode with mouselook and jump everwhere, and have been interested in making a funky challenge wad for it. So I did. It's completable in only 2 jumps, but is kind of fun to just jump around in god mode. I put the demons in just to make it actually hard, so be careful ;)

If you guys think of any funky challenge wads made post em please, I'd like to see what weird stuff is out there.

P.S. requires skulltag, soz.

Awesome! I was able to do it, but it wasn't easy :P. Being an avid rocket jumper, I think this could be greatly expanded to something much larger scale. And on something that uses sector effect 2123 heh

Yea I wasn't really looking on making some big map out of it, but I'm sure I could get something interesting going. I don't map in zdoom format much, what line action is 2123?

I don't know what LINE effect 2123 is, but SECTOR effect 2123 causes the player to be invincible in that sector. It's not intentional or built in, but rather a discovered bug. I use sector effect 2123 in all rocketjumping maps I create, and then use dehacked to set the initial health to 1, so the player doesn't get that red screen when they jump.

Heh, at first I was thinking 'wth how could you do that', but then I experimented and found bouncing off the walls adds some height too -.- I'm not that great at it though so I couldn't make the long corridor in the 5 or so times I tried, but I can see how it's done.

That second hall with the pit was suppose to be instakill. Its possible in software to go to end without touching floor. In GL its much easier.

Andyman3k said:

I don't know what LINE effect 2123 is, but SECTOR effect 2123 causes the player to be invincible in that sector. It's not intentional or built in, but rather a discovered bug.

2123 enables friction too, which is wholly unnecessary for the effect. Just plain old 75 should do fine, and that is no bug, it's the effect that is used at the end of E1M8 in Doom is it not?

Cybershark said:

2123 enables friction too, which is wholly unnecessary for the effect. Just plain old 75 should do fine, and that is no bug, it's the effect that is used at the end of E1M8 in Doom is it not?

It's not the same effect. Sector effect 75 will behave in ZDoom-based ports as intended. You take 10/20% damage until your health drops below 10%, then the level ends. The invulnerability sector effect requires in addition to type 75, either the ZDoom friction or wind flag for whatever reasons. There may or may not be more combinations that will produce the effect, but action type 75 is required for it's effects on player health.

In such a sector, players CAN take damage, but the lower bounds is fixed at 1%. You cannot die in this sector, just as if it were plain action type 75. "Successful" attempts at killing the player (using extreme means) will result in crashes (I think ZDaemon fixed a few cases of these).

I would love to hear an explanation as to why the sector action combos result in the effect. Perhaps Graf Zahl would know the reason, since he's the one who discovered it.