Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

PLATFORM lump.

Can someone please tell me what this old lump used to be for?

is it a lump added to the wad to enable the wad to work in DEU or something like that?

I am thinking this might be it, I just wanted to ask.

Can't say for sure. But I know of an editor (Doomed) that had the feature to let the mapper name their tags. This info was saved in an additional lump in the map data.

I recall this had been answered recently...and bingo:

Strange entry in Doom WADs

It's an entry added by an obscure editor called DMReal, used to keep track of moving platforms. It has no effect on the game or other editors, other perhaps than wasting a few extra bytes of memory.

Not to bump the 2007 thread so I'll post the question here, what might have the TAGDESC lump be of any use added by old editors?

I also remember seeing random junk entries in the older WAD files, which I suspect they were from DMAUD or DMGRAPH.

Pretty cool the idea of using extra information for enhanced editing via custom lumps. But if I'm not wrong, Doom Builder uses the extra data in separate files (dbs?).

I always wondered CodeImp, what are the purpose of the DBS files anyways?

They keep a record of the additional resources you load with each map in a wad so DB can auto fill in the fields next time you load (well, highlight) said map.

That, and in DB2 it also keeps the grid settings you last used for a map and plugins can also store map-specific settings in there.