Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Lou Albano died

kristus said:

Whatever. I found that shit incredibly stupid even when I was a kid.

I have never wanted to hurt someone over the internet before. Don't change that.

Mr. Freeze said:

I have never wanted to hurt someone over the internet before. Don't change that.

Isn't that really counter productive? It should be obvious to anyone that such talk just makes me tempted to go after you. Such is the way of the internets. If I were actually out to be trolling, I would have struck gold.

It is probably ironic that Mario is a role he didn't really want to do, and it's probably what he'll be remembered the most for. Kinda like that guy who played Obi Wan Kenobi, except with less hate. Lou was actually gracious enough to do an interview for the special features for the DVD box set of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, where he acknowledged and expressed some appreciation for the segment of his fandom that stemmed from his time on that show.

For those that don't know him, he was also a pro-wrestler and manager. His most famous kay-fabe incident was his orchestrated heel turn where he supposedly insulted Cyndi Lauper with some misogynist rambling (they were actually really good friends, and remained such after this "incident").

I was actually traumatized as a kid when I first saw this, because I saw it though a terrestrial re-broadcast of German channel SAT-1 (don't ask how & why...)

If I'm not wrong, at the time I wasn't even aware who Mario was, so to me it looked like a freakish kid show in a language I didn't understand.

About the not knowing who Mario was, keep in mind that Nintendo officially opened for business in Greece in 1990, so any and all times I had ever seen a NES or Super Mario Bros before that must have been on a Famiclone or on some rich kids' imported NES.

And...well, compared to arcade games it an NES looked like nothing special by then, other than the "novelty" of having quasi-arcade quality games without putting in coins (compared to 8-bit homecomputers and 8088-class PCs at least).

Of course I (and some other 100s thousands Greek kids) caught up with the rest of the world soon after but seriously...wtf...

Nobody's posted the animutation yet, one of the forgotten internet greats.

URL removed

That said it didn't work on my computer. The "improved" Internet Explorer of 2009 bought up one of those yellow security bars and then froze. Back in better days you went on a site, clicked on a link and it opened, not any more...

Edit: Postin from a PSP, guess whose computer needs formatting because he ignored security warnings!

Quasar said:

It is probably ironic that Mario is a role he didn't really want to do, and it's probably what he'll be remembered the most for. {SNIP}

That would be a Generation Gap thing, but in reality, among the older set, he's most famous for "Captain Lou Albano", the pro-wrestelr in the then WWF. Mario isn't much of a blip on the radar.

The second most popular gig was being part of Cindi Lauper's enterage, usually showing up in her music videos. This relationship was evident in BOTH the WWF stints, as well as the Mario show, where Mario went missing, and Cindi helps gather a search party to find him.

Since most people here are kids, and young adults, Mario would be what he's remembered for.

With all groups:

(1) WWF
(2) Cindi Lauper
(3) Mario (Very distant third)

When it was mentioned on the radio (WAAF), everyone talked about the Cindi Lauper days, the wrestling, and no mention at all of Mario.

Georgef551 said:

That would be a Generation Gap thing, but in reality, among the older set, he's most famous for "Captain Lou Albano", the pro-wrestler in the then WWF. Mario isn't much of a blip on the radar.

Agreed. Even though I am younger than most users on here, I know Captain Lou as more of a wrestler than a Mario, mainly do to being interested in old-school WWF (Wrestling just sucks now IMO). But then again that's because I am more aware of his wrestling career than anything else. When I hear about Mario, I think of the voice of Charles Martinet more than anything, and maybe a little bit of the awful Hotel Mario voice.

deathbringer said:

Lou Albano animutation

I bet that'd make him turn around in his tomb.

Very sad news, guess I should watch the Super Mario Super Show on DVD for nostalgic reasons cause I use to LOVE watching this show when I was very little. RIP Lou Albano.

As a fan of old WWF and the Mario cartoons, this sucks but he was up there. A cool ass dude, probably top 5 wrestling managers of all time, and the -best- Mario voice.

Charles Martinet might be the voice Mario is most known for, but Lou Albano GAVE Mario a voice.

I'm hooked on the plumbers

Hahaha.... I never realized that was Cyndi Lauper, wow. Oh, Lou... You tickled my funny bone for quite some time. Goin' to play some Mario 64, and Galaxy when the damn Wii is hooked back up.

40oz said:
Who?

Lou.

(It rhymes!)

To be honest, I don't know who this is either, short of what I can glean from this thread.

Can't say I know who this is, but it is always sad when something from your childhood goes out like this.

I remember watching a VHS of this in first grade. I thought it was stupid then, too.

Nevertheless, RIP Mario guy.

Krispavera said:

Nevertheless, RIP Mario guy.

There's the "other" Mario guy..

But again, the show was entertaining for a while, I really didn't like the way Bowser acknowledged his kids by not calling them by their real names (Ludwig was called "kooky/kookie", wtf?).