Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Lou Albano died

Quasar said:

For those that don't know him, he was also a pro-wrestler and manager. His most famous kay-fabe incident was his orchestrated heel turn where he supposedly insulted Cyndi Lauper with some misogynist rambling (they were actually really good friends, and remained such after this "incident").

Speaking of which...he's the dad in this video:

I was never a big fan of him, but he always seemed like a pretty cool guy. R.I.P., Captain Lou.

I didn't think this would get mentioned on Doomworld. I wrote a big speech on another site... 'too lazy to paste it, so tl;dr:

- I have a Lou Albano action figure still packaged.
- I have the whole SMB series on DVD, big fan.
- RIP
- Cindi Lauper was very hot in the 80's.

Mattfrie1 said:

Agreed. Even though I am younger than most users on here, I know Captain Lou as more of a wrestler than a Mario, mainly do to being interested in old-school WWF (Wrestling just sucks now IMO). But then again that's because I am more aware of his wrestling career than anything else. When I hear about Mario, I think of the voice of Charles Martinet more than anything, and maybe a little bit of the awful Hotel Mario voice.

I know. What other profession takes a English Professor (Correct me if I'm wrong here), and turns him into a mentally-challenged simpleton? That's what the WWF did to George The Animal Steel. You had to love the personalities, the characters, and the champions that held the title for more than 2 months at a time.
Now it's all sex, and unfortunately, that's what works now. The fun way wasn't working anymore. They (WWF) couldn't even sell out 2,000 seat arenas in the early 1990's! Now it'sbland personalities, and weak characters. The Undertaker is the last of the better ones.

Stygian said:

Alec Guinness is really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAA41TwZz1w

Hah, that's a good one. I'll need to hunt down that movie now. The only other thing I've seen him in was Lawrence of Arabia. I like how Ewan McGregor did a good job at imitating him when he played the young Obi-Wan in the Star Wars prequels. One of the few good things I can say about those movies.

Georgef551 said:

I know. What other profession takes a English Professor (Correct me if I'm wrong here), and turns him into a mentally-challenged simpleton? That's what the WWF did to George The Animal Steel. You had to love the personalities, the characters, and the champions that held the title for more than 2 months at a time.
Now it's all sex, and unfortunately, that's what works now. The fun way wasn't working anymore. They (WWF) couldn't even sell out 2,000 seat arenas in the early 1990's! Now it'sbland personalities, and weak characters. The Undertaker is the last of the better ones.

I've never been a fan of pro wrestling (I've seen maybe 3 shows in my life), but some of the wrestlers I've seen seem to be some of the most clever and personable entertainers ever out there, namely Lou Albano, Andre the Giant, The Rock, and Mick Foley. The irony is that I think they all played heels.

Georgef551 said:

Now it's all sex, and unfortunately, that's what works now. The fun way wasn't working anymore.

It's not even sex anymore, the show is PG rated for those of us in the U.S., and it used to be TV 14 DSLV before people started to complain. The show is lucky to get in a dick reference once every month without the FCC kicking their door down. They killed the whole product with one wrestler, John Cena. Those that watch know what I mean, and for those that don't, he was the guy that was in the movie "The Marine". He may be an alright actor, but his skills as a wrestler have little to be desired.

Mattfrie1 said:

It's not even sex anymore, the show is PG rated for those of us in the U.S., and it used to be TV 14 DSLV before people started to complain. The show is lucky to get in a dick reference once every month without the FCC kicking their door down. They killed the whole product with one wrestler, John Cena. Those that watch know what I mean, and for those that don't, he was the guy that was in the movie "The Marine". He may be an alright actor, but his skills as a wrestler have little to be desired.

I thought there's something about him that seems untallented, besides his "Rap Skills". To go along with the PG rating, Cena's "F.U." move was renamed. Can't remember what, though.

For Danarchy, and the Heels:

Lou Albano: I think he's always been a good guy. That's what I recall.
Andre the Giant: A heel at the end. Wanted to challenge Hulk Hogan for title in Wrestlemainia III
The Rock: He started as a big-time heel, ended big-time popular.
Mick Foley: Back-and-forth. Started as a heel, ended good.

Georgef551 said:

To go along with the PG rating, Cena's "F.U." move was renamed. Can't remember what, though.

Attitude Adjustment. Also his submission finisher, the "STFU", was changed simply to the "STF".