Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraboy94

Jenson Button F1 World Champion

two british world champions in a row... :D

after a fantastic brazilian GP jenson gets enough points to secure his title as world champion 2009!

as i am british, this is good news, since britain hasnt had much to say thats good recently...

this was a season that without a doubt proved that drivers means next to nothing. it's all about technical advantage of the car... and brawn had that by abusing a hole in the rules. they're pretty much an average team now when all the others caught up, but their cheated start was enough to secure the title. this means nothing, and the next year with the no pitstops rule will hopefully be a laughable end to this bloated boring shit. rallye is by far the superior sport, but the f1 fucks effectivelly lobotomized it when it became a challenge to this money drain.

I lost interest in F1 years ago. The series is governed by idiots who consistently make stupid decisions. But the one thing they don't manage is to make it interesting again.

I've never found motor sport very interesting myself, but I did catch the fireball incident in the pits just after the start of this race. That was awesome.

BTW, I don't think most British people's level of national pride is determined by whether we've got some guy who has driven around a track a bit more successfully than normal.

I do love F1, but wish the FIA would stop trying to fuck it up so much. Really hoping Ari Vatanen gets the presidency after that sack of shit Mosley steps down.

Glad to see Button win it after all the struggles in previous seasons and the turmoil just before this season when they weren't even sure there was going to BE a team, let alone one that could win both drivers' and constructors' championships. Well done to them.

I loved F1 before the rule changes reduced it to a farce - only half-watched this years races. Congrats to Button on his championship.

I don't follow F1, but the pervasive discontent in this thread is making me curious. What rule changes and what cheats are the issues, here?

I love F1 racing. Trying to get help is always best when done fast.

Wait, what?

One thing I can say about this year is that it's been a breath of fresh air compared to the blatant corruption of the last two. (I nearly stopped watching it because of last year, the only thing that stopped me was the raft of changes and the prospect of different players at the front)

Ultraboy94 said:

as i am british, this is good news, since britain hasnt had much to say thats good recently...

Well, we did win the Ashes too :P

Graf Zahl said:

I lost interest in F1 years ago. The series is governed by businessmen who consistently make corrupt decisions in favour of the most marketable team in the sport.

fix'd

DooMAD said:

I do love F1, but wish the FIA would stop trying to fuck it up so much. Really hoping Ari Vatanen gets the presidency after that sack of shit Mosley steps down.

Sadly that won't happen...if they can time the leaking of the crashgate scandal to co-incide with the election campaign, what do you think they'll do to the electorate and/or the voting process? It's good business for the FIA to ensure Todt wins in order to guarantee more decades of Ferrari dominance.

Creaphis said:

I don't follow F1, but the pervasive discontent in this thread is making me curious. What rule changes and what cheats are the issues, here?

The number of rule changes would be far too numerous to list, heh. I guess the most controversial ones are KERS (kinetic energy recovery system), traction control, mandatory use of both hard and soft tyres in a race, changes to how pit stops under the safety car work, dubious stewards enquiries that change the result of a race after it's finished, testing bans and the way they screw over new drivers, and so on.

dew said:

and the next year with the no pitstops rule

There will still be pit stops for tyres but not refuelling, but it is retarded, yes. Fuel strategy is one of the main elements of strategy in the sport.

Only motor vehicle racing I can get into is GT and SuperGT. I like seeing a variety of cars out there testing the limits of the engineering, over a hundred of the same car with different colors and minor tweaks.

Grazza said:

BTW, I don't think most British people's level of national pride is determined by whether we've got some guy who has driven around a track a bit more successfully than normal.

For good or bad, it can be determined by how well a bunch of overgrown boys chase a ball down a grass field, hit a ball with a stick, etc.

It doesn't make any logical sense why anybody would give a fuck about such events (especially when they don't practice them at any level) but it's real enough to affect crowd psychology/idol-hero association-projection/marketing etc. and to support a flourishing multi-billion-$$$ industry.

I can understand those placing bets on the outcome of sporting events and horse races though.

F1 was last interesting when they had huge power and downforce that let you drive cars on the ceiling. Then a bunch of people died and they boring-ified it, it never recovered.

Just like Group B rallying, really.

Even Touring cars aren't that good any more, though at least they have some, ahem, "nudging".

Motorbike racing on the other hand... well, when was the last time the lead changed 4 times in a lap in F1?

If you want spectacular motorsports, try truck racing or truck trial instead. Or pylon racing.

Creaphis said:

basically what DooMAD said, but the most crucial tech feature this year was the double diffuser. brawn and two other teams exploited a hole in the rules, or let's say ambiguous wording, which led to them winning almost everything in the first half of the series. then the other teams caught on the trend and brawn stopped winning, but it was too late point-wise.

i've been bitching at f1 for years and thought nothing could surprise me (or should i say 'disappoint more'), but this season proved me SO wrong. just looking at the result tables, you can pinpoint the moment brawn lost it's tech advantage and became 'just one of the teams', but there was already nothing to fight for. and the next season promises even more crap.

dew said:

basically what DooMAD said, but the most crucial tech feature this year was the double diffuser. brawn and two other teams exploited a hole in the rules, or let's say ambiguous wording, which led to them winning almost everything in the first half of the series. then the other teams caught on the trend and brawn stopped winning, but it was too late point-wise.

Williams and Toyota both used that style of diffuser as well and neither of them even came close to winning either championship. I think there's a little more to it than that.

Ferrari had some interesting interpretations of the rules as well, exploiting a loophole in the bodywork regulations so that their wing mirror supports could serve as aerodynamic fins. All the teams do it and some are more successful than others. That's how the sport has always been.

dew said:

this was a season that without a doubt proved that drivers means next to nothing. it's all about technical advantage of the car

Sticking with the Ferrari theme, I think there was a pretty noticable difference between Massa's performances this season and those of Fisichella's whilst standing in for him after the accident. You need a good driver and a good car, both working in harmony to win. They're both equally vital ingredients. (not that Fisi isn't a good driver, he just doesn't seem to get on very well with the Ferrari)

DooMAD said:

Williams and Toyota both used that style of diffuser as well and neither of them even came close to winning either championship. I think there's a little more to it than that.

Indeed.

DooMAD said:

Sticking with the Ferrari theme, I think there was a pretty noticable difference between Massa's performances this season and those of Fisichella's whilst standing in for him after the accident. You need a good driver and a good car, both working in harmony to win. They're both equally vital ingredients. (not that Fisi isn't a good driver, he just doesn't seem to get on very well with the Ferrari)

Well, you also need to keep in mind that the no testing-rule prevented Fisichella from getting used to the new car. Though of course it can't be the only reason: The new Kobayashi did much better in Toyota last weekend than Fisi has done on Ferrari so far.

If there's one thing that I'll remember from this season of F1 it's the Ferrari (Kimi) / Force India (Fisi) battle from Spa.

Force. Fucking. India.

Maes said:

If you want spectacular motorsports, try truck racing or truck trial instead. Or pylon racing.

PYLONS!

To be quite honest, the only spectator sport I can stand is the Destruction Derby. Apparently it's a lot more popular here in the Northwest than elsewhere, so maybe it's just regional. That's the only explanation as to why they never televise this amazing sport.

dew said:

and the next season promises even more crap.

I think the last few years will be a picnic compared to the future, considering that it's members have been bribed, intimidated and blackmailed into accepting chosen the former Ferrari president to be the new president of Ferrari International Assistance the FIA.

i wonder how long it will take for mercedes to crack and leave the series.

Danarchy said:

PYLONS!

To be quite honest, the only spectator sport I can stand is the Destruction Derby. Apparently it's a lot more popular here in the Northwest than elsewhere, so maybe it's just regional. That's the only explanation as to why they never televise this amazing sport.

I tell you what regional sport is amazing, is train racing.

Nomad said:

I tell you what regional sport is amazing, is train racing.

Haha, that's amazing. It looks like something they'd have as an event at a D-derby rally. Still, I think the small dirt arena they use for the derbies here is probably a better venue than the NASCAR-ish track they were using there.

Haha, i used to love going to short circuit/banger racing... the number of different classes they have in Britain is mind-boggling, though. All sorts of different types of "stock cars" (i understand "stock car" racing in the US to be big budget and glamorous, in Britain it's "cars rescued from a scrapyard with everything taken out and some box-section welded on thrashed to within an inch of thier lives around a tiny concrete oval") and loads of different classes of banger races (crashing allowed - though "nudging" takes places in all classes) and destruction derbies. There's also caravan racing which is hilariously chaotic... the nearest track to me closed down though. It's a shame, i could have given my first car a good send off rather than letting it rust away (that said in Banger races the fastest and heaviest cars start at the back, the slowest and smallest ones at the front o.o)

Csonicgo said:

NASCAR will be 1000x more fun to watch than F1.

Do you gots to get back to the trailer to impregnate your sista boy?

Seriously, F1 is pretty boring at times but you would have to be the redneck arse that you are to think a bunch of near-identical stock cars travelling round in circles for 200 laps with the occasional safety car actually constitutes fun.

dew said:

this was a season that without a doubt proved that drivers means next to nothing. it's all about technical advantage of the car... and brawn had that by abusing a hole in the rules. they're pretty much an average team now when all the others caught up, but their cheated start was enough to secure the title. this means nothing, and the next year with the no pitstops rule will hopefully be a laughable end to this bloated boring shit. rallye is by far the superior sport, but the f1 fucks effectivelly lobotomized it when it became a challenge to this money drain.

Which hole would this be? You mean the hole where they had the best designer and development team left over from Honda, even when they had to make half of them redundant, and still they designed the best car within the new regulations and as a result kicked the big teams sorry butts for half the season?

And if drivers mean next to nothing, why did Button win all those early grands prix and not Barrichello? Why did Hamilton win twice in the average mp424 and Kovalainen none? Why is Alonso the only guy who can achieve anything in a Renault?

Of course you can go faster in a better car but at the top end it's still the best drivers who get results and win championships.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Sadly that won't happen...if they can time the leaking of the crashgate scandal to co-incide with the election campaign, what do you think they'll do to the electorate and/or the voting process? It's good business for the FIA to ensure Todt wins in order to guarantee more decades of Ferrari dominance.

Sadly indeed. The FIA have their stooge. Still, I suppose anything's better than that racist nazi bigot Mosley. Well... kind of, he still has an influencial position in the sport and will be lurking in the background, pulling the strings, so nothing changes really.