Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

Large Sectors

I have most things mastered in DB2 going from lighting to detail, traps and so on yet there is just one problem that I have had for the entire time I have been mapping. I have absolutely no idea what to do when I have made a large sector. Just say I put 2 spider masterminds in this sector but then im stumped, I have no idea what I should add as detail, Maybe you can help me?

Pillars. Big rooms need big pillars to support the big ceiling. Unless it's an open air stadium, where you can add a bit of heigh variation for little hills. Platforms for things like altars work too, or if it's thematically possible lava with little ash/stone islands.

just look at other wad that have large sectors that appeal to you and study those. (can't think of any off hand)

Add height variation in the middle, even if it's only on the ceiling. Try varying the flats used - don't just have one for the floor and one for the ceiling.

Add some obstuctions (rocky outcrops, small buildings, monumental arches, ruins, etc.) that fit in with the map's theme and give the player someting to cower behind.

Don't worry about detail. That will come to you in time as you get more experienced. Instead focus on making interesting layouts to fight in.

Stat with imagining a setting of game play in Doom that appeals to you. Then build it. Review what you did. Maybe show it to a few people and see what they got to say about it. Don't be afraid to be criticized.

Reflect and try again.

Put some cover for the player if you're gonna place spiderdemons in a wide open area.

For me big spaces take a lot of planning. I can sometimes do up to four different variations before I come up with something that I like, usually borrowing the best idea from each variation and applying it to the finished product.

Starke Von Oben said:

For me big spaces take a lot of planning. I can sometimes do up to four different variations before I come up with something that I like, usually borrowing the best idea from each variation and applying it to the finished product.

This. Although I haven't ever really finished a map yet, I still screw around with the editor. Sometimes I go through 5+ prototypes of a room before I get it right.