Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Referendum 71 - Name Release

Ok, so a vote is going up for R-71 in Washington State. It basically gives LGBT's the same rights as married couples except it's a domestic partnership. I wanted to approve this but the wording of the bill confused me and as I did more research on it I became more confused and picked reject. Whoops.

Anyways, what I want to talk about is name release. Basically the LGBT community wants the supreme court to release the names of those who signed it (case pending). Some view this as "intimidation, aggression" etc. against those who signed it. For example, you can use it to boycott businesses and such or hell, find the person's address and send them hate mail. On the other hand, if you were LGBT and found out that the owner of the cafe that you love to go to every morning voted against your rights, you probably wouldn't to go there anymore.

What do you think, should the names be released? Is privacy being invaded here?

Heh, if the U.S. Supreme Court decides to allow those names to be released I'll be on there even though I wanted to approve SB 5688.

Being bisexual, I naturally have a disposition towards the whole forwarding of LGBT rights deal, but these people demanding the names of the people who signed it are way out of line. That's a major invasion of privacy IMO. While we're at it, oh, let's see the names of the witnesses that got me put in jail so I can kill them later, hypothetically.

This is the sort of thing the BNP would do! That said communists have no trouble with propagating leaked BNP membership lists either...

I don't think handing out the names is a good idea. Given the radicals in the LGBT community - hell, ANY community -, you'd be asking for trouble.

Jesus Christ, this is even being considered? Isn't a government-initiated ballot like a vote or referendum covered under some age-old legal privacy umbrella?

Here in Australia, if there is a vote or referendum it's legally required for everyone over 18 to participate in it. The polling booths check your name off in a big list for attendance, and your actual ballot paper is filled out in a private booth and posted with no personally identifiable information.

For what possible reason could anyone want personally identifiable information on a voting process other than discrimination.

Edit: Upon further investigation, it appears there is an effort to find the names of those who signed petitions to have the law voted on, not those who signed the Referendum.

The federal court ruled it was ok to release the names, however they were kept back because of an existing state court order preventing the release. The Supreme Court has stepped in and said no fucking way so the names are safe for at least a few months of legal battle, if they ever get released.

If you just signed the referendum, it looks like you are fine.

Releasing the names on political petitions is a bad plan. It will lead to violence and will also lead to intimidation, preventing petitions on any part of the political spectrum.

Domestic partnerships and such are awesome as long as they give them to straight couples too. No more state marriage!

Australia's voting laws are inconsistent with freedom. We should invade them.

The what is doing what now? Damn, this is what I get for not reading the news. I got my ballot but I thought it was just voting for school superintendents and the like. Guess I better fill this out and mail it in then.

Anyway, even though I'm going to vote "approve" on this, this move to release the names is bullshit. That's just infringing on the rights we have of anonymous suffrage.

Think I'm also going to vote against this other measure, though. Looks like more Tim "I want the government to run on air" Eyman bullshit.