Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maxrebo6

Best source port?

What do you think is the best source in general and for wads and mods. Does any of them have a front end for selecting custom wads or are they all drag and drop.I would appreciate any answers.

All of them or none of them - or you search for other threads about this topic. They appear approximately once a month, you know.

maxrebo6 said:

What do you think is the best source in general and for wads and mods.

Depends on what you want.

maxrebo6 said:

Does any of them have a front end for selecting custom wads or are they all drag and drop.

Some have launchers included in the download (e.g., Doomsday), but for others you can use external launchers like ZDL 3.1.

Personally I add shortcuts to the ports in the SendTo folder, and I associate the .wad, .zip and .pk3 file types to my favorite port, so I can use right-click->send to or right-click->open with. This way, explorer is my launcher.

Another best port thread? I just need to make a text file ready for threads like this.

My port of choice is GZDoom, which has amazing editing features and almost infinite customization. Tends to run most Boom and ZDoom mods very well.

Chocolate Doom is great, I use it for all my vanilla projects.

I personally use Chocolate for vanilla wads, PrBoom+ for limit-removing/Boom-compatible wads, and GZDoom for ZDoom-compatible and GZDoom wads.

A bit off-topic: I know GZDoom can run Legacy wads, but to what extent?

mammajamma said:

A bit off-topic: I know GZDoom can run Legacy wads, but to what extent?

It mostly depends on the quality of the FraggleScript being used. Code that doesn't depend too much on Legacy's bugs works fine but if that's not the case the scripts may break.

WADs that work fine are Icerial 2, Nimrod and Hi-Tech Hell 2. A WAD that doesn't work is Phobia.

"runcommand", "consolecmd" and MP3 support aren't bugs in Legacy. They are features. Not necessarily pretty features. But features nonetheless.

Phobia DO have circumvents for bugs in Legacy though. But there's no reason why those circumvents shouldn't work in GZDoom alike.

kristus said:

"runcommand", "consolecmd" and MP3 support aren't bugs in Legacy. They are features. Not necessarily pretty features. But features nonetheless.

These are not what I meant and are supported to the degree I got to until I stumbled over some show-stoppers in the code. After that I didn't really try because without the lights Phobia loses a lot of its appeal and some of the light effects again depend on Legacy weirdness (like the lighting of untextured lines, for example.)

Phobia DO have circumvents for bugs in Legacy though. But there's no reason why those circumvents shouldn't work in GZDoom alike.

I'll have to find such problems first. And that's harder than one might think if you can't run the engine this was designed for without risking corruption to the system config. Legacy and my computer don't like each other so I refuse to start it at all.

There's nothing special about them really. Just some extra script code so Legacy would "jump" whatever it was that decided to make it crash.

Like this script here, at first it was just one script. But after I had added monsters to the map, it started to crash the game when script 112 was ran. I figured out that it only crashed if it was the linespecial that triggered that particular script (iirc). So I made an extra script to run the other script. Really silly stuff, but it worked.

script 112
{
	if(notmyst == 1)
			{

objtarget(104, 115);
			objtarget(105, 115);
			objtarget(106, 115);
			objtarget(107, 115);
			objtarget(108, 115);
			objtarget(109, 115);
			objtarget(110, 115);
			objtarget(111, 115);
			objtarget(112, 115);
			objtarget(113, 115);
			objtarget(114, 115);
			}
}

script 114
{	
	if (action == 0)
	{
		action = 1;
		startscript(112);
	}
}

I find this question a bit silly. Best way to run WAD/MODs ? Most of them are specifically designed for one port, so that choice has pretty much been made for you already.

For WADs that don't require a specific port, I tend to go for a port that has the least amount of deviation from the original engine.