Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

We got texture artists here?

Recommended Posts

Heres a 3 i shamelessly ripped from WG Realms 2.



the colors got little distorted when made into doom pallette but they are quite good.
easily recolored to red and black ones.

Share this post


Link to post

hey man don't be snagging other people's stuff. That's skulltag behavior, keep it in skulltag forums where it belongs. If they wanna advertise it they'll do it themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
gemini09 said:

Can anyone recreate the green sky, without losing the original detail from the blue one?

http://img37.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=rsky1.png


The issue is that in the color ranges you've chosen, there's only four greens available for the six blues+one black used by the blue sky.

If choosing from a different range of greens, there's no problem of detail loss, but the overall color is a bit brighter.
http://img23.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=rsky3.png

Share this post


Link to post

Are there any texture packs full of vine covered textures, like the ones used in Scythe2's later maps out there? If there isn't, I'll just throw my own together, but I figured someone else had probably already beaten me to it.

(Or maybe Erik is happy enough for other people to use his textures as long as he's credited and so on?)

Share this post


Link to post

I am maybe noob but whit Xwe i cant find the red and black flags etc that is in the original Doom 2 wad. maybe i can make some thing of that on my own if i can find the textures or maybe some one upload it here?

How to make it (don't have the words)

When you pout it on you'r map and the flag is hanging in the air and you can see troo next to it. eg like the windows glass etc.

//Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Swec said:

I am maybe noob but whit Xwe i cant find the red and black flags etc that is in the original Doom 2 wad

The texures are called PANBLACK and PANRED, the patches are called RW16_1 and RW16_2 respectively. There is also PANBLUE with patch name RW16_3.

Share this post


Link to post
Super Jamie said:

The texures are called PANBLACK and PANRED, the patches are called RW16_1 and RW16_2 respectively. There is also PANBLUE with patch name RW16_3.


Thx!


But i fail to do it like a flag /curtain that is hanging in the air.



What does i need to do to make it work. if i just use it like it i now it will just show up as a red flag on a whit background.

Share this post


Link to post

Aqua blue = transparency

Just paint the white background with that kind of blue as in XWE

Share this post


Link to post

Or use XWE's "Color Remap" function to change the white (probably number 004) to transparent (number 247).

Share this post


Link to post
Ra02 said:

Aqua blue = transparency

Not exactly. That's what XWE would let you believe, but technically it's not true at all. There is no "transparent color" in Doom, which uses a system where transparent pixels are simply not described, so all 256 colors in its palette are visible. Then cyan is not present in the Doom palette. These utilities simply use it because it is absent from the palette, and contrasts well, so it's practical; but they could have picked anything else. (And indeed, some other tools did. I seem to remember hot pink as the transparent color in DeuTEX...)

GreyGhost said:

Or use XWE's "Color Remap" function to change the white (probably number 004) to transparent (number 247).


This is just as false. XWE (and Slumped...) does assume that index 247 is transparent. But that's only because it was convenient for them. Index 247 is black and opaque. But it's not a color used by any graphics in Doom, so it can be safely used for this purpose by these tools. However, this assumption works well enough in Doom, but ceases to work in other Doom engine games, such as Hexen, where index 247 is used in many sprites and these tools' assumption it's transparent provokes glitched graphics.

Within XWE, index 247 is considered cyan and transparent. But then, behind the scenes and without telling you, it's simply turned as "not a pixel" once it's converted to Doom graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Insane_Gazebo said:

Are there any texture packs full of vine covered textures, like the ones used in Scythe2's later maps out there? If there isn't, I'll just throw my own together, but I figured someone else had probably already beaten me to it.

(Or maybe Erik is happy enough for other people to use his textures as long as he's credited and so on?)


Because the vine textures in doom have all those holes in it, I's actually possible to patch that texture over top of any texture in the doom IWADs without adding any new patch graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

Because the vine textures in doom have all those holes in it, I's actually possible to patch that texture over top of any texture in the doom IWADs without adding any new patch graphics.


After about an hour of screwing around with XWE, I finally figured it out. I have no idea why it works though, as the patch I was referencing which is the correctly scaled vines, doesn't seem to exist.

Share this post


Link to post

I was editing last night and now i got my map screwed up :( :(
What wad /plugin eg is this shit from?

Need to remove it. it don't fit my map at all.



The sad thing is that i did backup some files the same night and to goo back to a older backup is a very very big step back :(

Stupid me.

//Sad Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

This is just as false. XWE (and Slumped...) does assume that index 247 is transparent. But that's only because it was convenient for them. Index 247 is black and opaque. But it's not a color used by any graphics in Doom, so it can be safely used for this purpose by these tools. However, this assumption works well enough in Doom, but ceases to work in other Doom engine games, such as Hexen, where index 247 is used in many sprites and these tools' assumption it's transparent provokes glitched graphics.

Within XWE, index 247 is considered cyan and transparent. But then, behind the scenes and without telling you, it's simply turned as "not a pixel" once it's converted to Doom graphics.

Is it mere coincidence that no Doom graphic uses Index 247? I think it's more likely a design decision that was made (borrowing a trick from the GIF image format) so the graphics could be developed using off-the-shelf editors - few if any of which would have supported a Doom engine compatible "not a pixel" editing mode. Don't ask me why Raven chose to use a different palette index entry to represent "transparent", maybe they just wanted to be different.

Insane_Gazebo said:

I have no idea why it works though, as the patch I was referencing which is the correctly scaled vines, doesn't seem to exist.

If you mean patches W106_1 and/or W107_1 - XWE already knows they exist and where to find them.

Share this post


Link to post
GreyGhost said:

Is it mere coincidence that no Doom graphic uses Index 247? I think it's more likely a design decision that was made (borrowing a trick from the GIF image format) so the graphics could be developed using off-the-shelf editors

Mere coincidence. When a palette index is chosen as the transparent color, it's usually index 0 or index 255. Index 247 is completely random and makes no sense. I vaguely remember one of the alpha version actually used a transparent index, and it wasn't 247.

Also, the guys at id software developed their own tools and didn't give much thought to modders. Look how troublesome it was to add or replace sprites in vanilla... Index 247 isn't used because it's the second palette entry with that color, and their picture converter used the first it found when it needed that color.

Share this post


Link to post

Some Doom graphics actually do use index 247; there are some pixels of it in a couple of the patches used for the METAL2 texture set in Doom2, for instance, if I remember right.

Share this post


Link to post

Do you mean patch RW33_3 from METAL4?

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

The issue is that in the color ranges you've chosen, there's only four greens available for the six blues+one black used by the blue sky.

If choosing from a different range of greens, there's no problem of detail loss, but the overall color is a bit brighter.
http://img23.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=rsky3.png


It turned out great.

Could you by any chance make one in red too?

Share this post


Link to post
gemini09 said:

It turned out great.

Could you by any chance make one in red too?

The darker red in the Doom palette is about as bright as the brightest blue in the original picture... So do not expect anything as dark overall as the blue sky.

Anyway, since this graphic is so popular, here are a few other variants:
http://img690.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=rsky5.png

Share this post


Link to post

I may have taken the red one, had it only been compatible with Doom's palette when importing it.

I managed to come up with this; the red at the bottom of the image stays (to my recollection) but the detail in the clouds over it disappear:

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, that turns into a 4-color image when pallettised. If you mapped it direct to Doom colors it could work well, have a play around with the palette directly or the colors in SP_HOT1.

Share this post


Link to post
rf` said:

Ok guys. I reuploaded all the hell textures I made before as gif, so there's no jpeg artifacts. I also did up some new textures as well (the more recent ones). Just credit me if you use them. :D

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/ravagefox/Hell%20Textures/


Oh Em Gee, those are BADASS! I do believe I'll be using them in my current project. If I do, you'll definitely get credit for these awesome textures.

Share this post


Link to post
SaltySailor said:

Finally I got my first texture working thanks to hints here in this forum.


Interesting, but it doesn't tile vertically, which is maybe a problem for so short a texture:

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×