Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RestlessRodent

D_STALKS sounding like song

At work today I heard a song that sounded like MAP02, yknow the intro part that goes throughout the entire song but I'll clip the MIDI to explain what I heard exactly. The song was kinda jazzy (and it was not that Athiest song that the Wiki says), nobody else pays attention to the music that plays so nobody knows what it was. I don't know if the song was made before or after, but it would be something a supermarket would play. I might hear it again as we play the same shit over and over again.

It was this part of the song: http://kaptinkurk.googlepages.com/map02_whatiheard.mid

It kinda does sound like a song if you think of it...
Wonder what a heavier version would sound, in which I believe it can be in alot of Genres. (Heavier than Original in Doom2, like how you showed Jazz, this one Metal-ized.)

I remember hearing some kinda latin background music in a tv show that sounded exactly like the later parts of D_STALKS

I'm betting what you guys heard is the source, or variants of it. On his now defunct mp3.com page Bobby Prince mentioned he had been surprised the id guys accepted that track, as it was based on a "Latin song" and they were mostly asking for metal or ambient based stuff. If an Atheist song sounds similar, it's either a coincidence or it's directly or indirectly based on the same source Bobby used.

You know, whenever I hear D_STALKS, for some reason I always think of either Montessori schools, or an extremely white Midwestern couple attempting some semblance of international flavor. It's probably because I'm from the Midwest and went to a Montessori school until 3rd grade, but I'm not entirely sure.

I pretty sure the song is based on some stock Latin-sounding rhythms. Nonetheless, I see it as a perfect fit for MAP02.

Heh, my parents have a salsa CD that has what sounds like most of D_Stalks as one of the songs. One of my favourite tunes from Doom, maybe its supposed to be ironic as Doomguy is back on Earth but it is no vacation?

WildWeasel said:

I don't know why the song reminds me of the Grateful Dead.

It does kinda sound like Dead for some reason... wierd

Mithral_Demon said:

It kinda does sound like a song if you think of it...
Wonder what a heavier version would sound, in which I believe it can be in alot of Genres. (Heavier than Original in Doom2, like how you showed Jazz, this one Metal-ized.)

There's a pretty good music wad that has metal versions of all the IWAD music, including D_STALKS: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15074

PRIMEVAL said:

When the electric piano comes in, I always think of James Bond lol

I no rite. It always made me feel I should be sneaking around some facility in a tux.

That is most interesting. I've come to associate that track with Flamenco music (based on some very similar-sounding riffs/chords I heard once - not that I normally listen to flamenco) which I guess is very similar to (if not overlapping with) Jazz, or other Latin music.