Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

Bye Geocities

I just deleted my old embarrassing web page a few month ago. I would have like a warning in case I wanted to back something up however.

With web hosting as cheap and simple today, their closing was inevitable.

Cheap? simple? I still can't afford it. Something like geocities today but with less suck would be great to have. Still, that's a lot of stuff to just die... It's like Yahoo! wants to die.

It's a shame because some of the oldest web pages were on Geocities. It was fun to stumble on a page from pre-2000 and have a laugh.

Oh no, now all links to geocities sites will be 404s. That will be completely new.

Oh wait...

Oh shit.

*goes and downloads every Yngwie Malmsteen midi on that GeoCities site he favorited but never visited*

My old geocities page hasn't been accessible for years. I just thought they removed them all from back then.

EDIT: If anyone wants to see what it was like when a young(er) Kristus, who at the time went by the handle "Ebola" was like when he had an GeoShitties account.

http://web.archive.org/web/19991007150029/www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/4713/

This was 10 years ago, and I was experimenting with social interaction in my everyday life. And I always tried to be amusing, often at my own expense. But still. Geez.
I don't think I can do anything worse to my reputation than this. Pedophilia perhaps.

MikeRS said:

And you must be really troll.

A transaction is a transaction. Identity has to be posted, which can be stolen. I don't trust anything over the internet with my money anymore after being scammed 3 times with legit sites. So there ya go.

Thanks for calling the whole world (wide web) a "pussie" Kristus. I always knew that's what you really thought of us. :(

Kristus, your former website was like a vitriol enema to the infested bowels of t3h 1nt3rn3ts.

kristus said:

Aww, shucks. You're making me blush. *-_-*

Choice quotes:
"NO I´M STILL QUITE SAIN I´LL JUST LEAVE AND MIND MY OWN BUISNESS."
"This page has been spellchecked. However the spellchecker sucks so you have to accept the page like this.
This page was first made with Netscape composer. But now I use notepad."
"I'm really hungry right now which is bad cause I got a illness where you got a really sore throat"
"Seince the demons lived for centurys in atomic waste there's no wonder they got this horrible mutation."
"We um I mean I am currently in a state of HIGH productivity. However that will soon end since
my interm soon is over. I study for baker and when I come home from the bakery a 10-11 o'clock in
the morning you don't got that much to do."

:P

Csonicgo said:
Something like geocities today but with less suck would be great to have.

What I liked about it was that you could freely access an Apache directory listing if it didn't have a recognizable index page. Lycos' Tripod service also allowed this. It still exists, but they don't let you do that anymore.

There goes a piece of history.

If I do recall, there is some guy downloading all Geocities or something....don't know the details on how or why he's doing this.

There was a push to buy the servers from yahoo! I dunno if that's gonna still go or not. It would be awesome idea if it does follow through.

Csonicgo said:

Cheap? simple? I still can't afford it. Something like geocities today but with less suck would be great to have. Still, that's a lot of stuff to just die... It's like Yahoo! wants to die.

http://www.000webhost.com/

I've used it, and I'm currently using their paid hosting.

Hmm, what about other free sites?

http://www.freevirtualservers.com/
http://www.000webhost.com/
http://www.apachelinuxhosting.com/

I haven't tried them myself...

In any case, has Yahoo made any statements about existing GoeCities sites? Their closure notice says "New GeoCities accounts are no longer available". This does not deny that existing ones may still be kept working.

EDIT:

On October 26, 2009, your GeoCities site will no longer appear on the Web, and you will no longer be able to access your GeoCities account and files.

If you'd like to move your web site, or save the images and other files you've posted online, please act now by downloading your files or upgrading to Yahoo! Web Hosting. See details in the help center or upgrade to Web Hosting now for only $4.99 a month.

So, yeah, it seems like they are going to nuke the existing content. Perhaps Yahoo should just die as a whole, once and for all, then. Most of the useful stuff on them was on old GeoCities sites, as far as I'm concerned.

I nabbed all my old stuff recently as well. There's a text file that had these words all the way from 2001 (I suppose):

He makes 9000 crates That we never will use
This is the Nick Baker!
He steals 3 things from Ola And he blows a fuse
This is the Nick Baker!
He is from a different planet
Nick Baker!
Fin.
funny how this uses the number 9000. I must have just picked a big number.

The crappiness of Geocities notwithstanding, there are a ton of files within those pages that are nowhere else to be found on the Internet, so it is a bit of a sad day.

alexz721 said:
The crappiness of Geocities notwithstanding, there are a ton of files within those pages that are nowhere else to be found on the Internet, so it is a bit of a sad day.

I just know that in the next couple of days I'll be looking for something on the Internet, then discover that it was on a Geocities page and an archived copy of it is nowhere to be found...