Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trasher][

Insert Touch Pun Here

Recommended Posts

Doom Classic for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available on the App Store. This port contains the entirety of Ultimate Doom, along with support for wireless four-player multiplayer.

Share this post


Link to post

Epic!! Buying as soon as I buy another iPod Touch. Is the source code available?

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone else noticed that with Doom Classic the sleep button does not pause the game? The screen goes black but the game remains active and my guy ends up being killed by a monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Monfriez said:

Has anyone else noticed that with Doom Classic the sleep button does not pause the game? The screen goes black but the game remains active and my guy ends up being killed by a monster.


For me, it remains active for around a second and immediately resumes when it wakes up

Share this post


Link to post

Long, long, long-time lurker finally registering for the opportunity to be the first to comment on how disgustingly horrible the photoshopping is on the Doom Classic site.

It's insultingly shoddy, especially given that the artist behind the original work died last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Capn_Nacho said:

Long, long, long-time lurker finally registering for the opportunity to be the first to comment on how disgustingly horrible the photoshopping is on the Doom Classic site.

It's insultingly shoddy, especially given that the artist behind the original work died last week.


It's not that bad, there are a couple of rough edges to it but the overall idea is pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Capn_Nacho said:

Long, long, long-time lurker finally registering for the opportunity to be the first to comment on how disgustingly horrible the photoshopping is on the Doom Classic site.

It's insultingly shoddy, especially given that the artist behind the original work died last week.

Yeah, I particularly like how the demon on the left is grabbing hold of a disembodied hand that just sort of fades to a couple of blobs. "Will this do?"-work of the worst sort.

Share this post


Link to post

I actually don't own anything that starts with "i" so I'll never get this but I'm curious: does it look good? Does it control well?

Scuba Steve said:

atrocious photoshopping.


Bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post

I wish they had brought someone in to design the menu.
It's just disappointing. From what I've seen in with the Wolfenstein 3D updates the menu design is not going to get any better.

A lot of people are complaining about the "floating" controls. There is an option to turn that off (Center sticks: OFF), but the poor design make it hard to figure that out.

Share this post


Link to post

I've seem similar "quality" photoshopping in some magazine I got. It's insulting. There's plenty of people out there struggling to get work and then some guy sit there and suck at their job.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm liking it so far, once I found a control scheme that I preferred it took a little while to get used to; from what I've heard its exactly like Wolf3d's control schemes (movable axis points, tilt to strafe) with some added, like ability to tap center to use. No extras like crosshair, looking, etc.

The graphics and framerate (which is very high, btw ~60) feels like glboom (sorry I can't remember what engine JC specified he was using), and is easy to view on the portable screen.

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet. Along with the level select screen, if you resume play after beating each level, you can keep the weps until the end of the episode like vanilla. Also for achievements the level selects has icons showing which achieves you have gotten: Highlighted if level beaten, %100 secrets, beaten par time, and/or %100 kills. They are corresponding to each of the 4 difficulties noted by the 4 monster icons, so probably nightmare is not in.

Share this post


Link to post

Man you guys weren't kidding about that photoshop. Absolutely terrible. Could Carmack seriously not ask one of the id artists to spend 5 minutes making something better?

Share this post


Link to post

Well, at least the arm thing is fixed.

david_a said:

Could Carmack seriously not ask one of the id artists to spend 5 minutes making something better?

maybe he did it himself O.O

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, they updated it. I wonder if the old garbage was just a proof-of-concept that somehow made it onto the real site?

Share this post


Link to post
Monfriez said:

I wish they had brought someone in to design the menu.
It's just disappointing. From what I've seen in with the Wolfenstein 3D updates the menu design is not going to get any better.


I found the menus to be just fine from here.

Share this post


Link to post

DuckReconMajor said:
Actually, I think they've updated again since my last post. It looks pretty good now.

Yeah, heh, no wonder the thread comments didn't make sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonsbrethren said:

Since a few people have it now, how was this issue handled in the end?


On death, there's a load game option, restart option and an add gear option. Load game is self explanatory, restart restarts the level with the standard pistol + 50 bullets, add gear restarts with a pistol and shotgun with 50 bullets and 20 shells.

Share this post


Link to post

Touch pun...

"I can finally touch imps in funny places and have them react."

(When convincing a friend to get it)
"Come on, you know you've always wanted to tap a zombie."

Share this post


Link to post
DuckReconMajor said:

Actually, I think they've updated again since my last post. It looks pretty good now.


Dear lord. I've only seen the updated version. I was reading all the posts starting from the oldest and kept switching back to the site to see what you guys were talking about.

I was hesitant to post saying "I have no idea what you guys are talking about, the image looks fantastic!" assuming there's something blatantly obvious thats wrong with the picture and everyone is seeing except me.

Wish I could have seen the old one.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

Dear lord. I've only seen the updated version. I was reading all the posts starting from the oldest and kept switching back to the site to see what you guys were talking about.

I was hesitant to post saying "I have no idea what you guys are talking about, the image looks fantastic!" assuming there's something blatantly obvious thats wrong with the picture and everyone is seeing except me.

Wish I could have seen the old one.

That's...exactly how I felt.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello all,
I believe this app is well worth the money. The controls take some getting used to, but once your thumbs are up to speed it's death to demons time!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×