Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KuriKai

The Doomsday engine is now 10 years old

Wow. I thought it was relatively new. Did it have all that dynamic lighting and opengl rendering at the time it was released too?

DooMAD said:

Games page has some alignment issues in Firefox 3. Images overlapping text.

Strange. It looks fine to me on my desktop in both Firefox 3 and Chrome but on my little netbook's screen I get the overlapping. Will fix.

40oz said:

Wow. I thought it was relatively new. Did it have all that dynamic lighting and opengl rendering at the time it was released too?

I wasn't a part of the project back then but yes, I believe dynamic lighting was present from the very first release. If you want to know more about it then check out the http://dengine.net/decade_of_doomsday article.

Cool, looking forward to another 10. ;)

DaniJ said:

Strange. It looks fine to me on my desktop in both Firefox 3 and Chrome but on my little netbook's screen I get the overlapping. Will fix.

Overlapping for me on Opera.

DooMAD said:

Same here with Opera 10.01

Happy Birthday.

It was back in 1999-2000 that Doomsday got me back into Doom. Wow, 10 years ago, time flies! SkyJake & Cheb (iirc) were maintaining it back then.

DooMAD said:

Ok now?

BilboHicks said:

It was back in 1999-2000 that Doomsday got me back into Doom. Wow, 10 years ago, time flies! SkyJake & Cheb (iirc) were maintaining it back then.

Cheb was the maintainer of the jDoom model pack, as it was known at the time. The engine was all skyjake until roughly mid 2004.

I couldn't get the activation email to send to my account so I could register on your forums so I will just post this bug here. I compiled and installed Doomsday successfully from the source tarball, but unfortunately SnowBerry refuses to run. I just copied the snowberry folder to /opt/snowberry and made a script in /usr/bin called snowberry that contains this:

cd /opt/snowberry
./snowberry.py
Basically when I try to run snowberry(through the snowberry command or by manually going into the directory and typing ./snowberry.py) my pointer becomes a cross, and I suppose the snowberry program hangs there. Upon clicking a few times, it spits out this error:
./snowberry.py: line 28: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./snowberry.py: line 28: `def main():'
import: unable to grab mouse `': Resource temporarily unavailable @ xwindow.c/XSelectWindow/8971.
Running ArchLinux x64, it's rolling release. I have Python 2.6.4 and the latest Xorg, mesa, and nvidia drivers(not sure if that matters)

I also tried checking out the latest SVN of snowberry and I get the exact same error.

MP2E said:

I couldn't get the activation email to send to my account.

Send me a PM containing the account name, the email address you tried to use and I'll look into the problem.

I have Python 2.6.4 and the latest Xorg, mesa, and nvidia drivers(not sure if that matters)

Theres your problem, Snowberry requires Python 2.5. We haven't bothered to update it because we plan to phase out the need for a launcher for Doomsday 2.0

I first learned about about Doomsday probably from the korax heritage website when they used it for their mods. Although KH has now switched to Vavoom. Never knew that Doomsday was originally designed for Hexen.

Sign in to follow this