Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ylermi

Who loves GSTONE?

...I do!

Started working on a hellish temple type map (project named Public
Restroom) a few days back and made some progress already (a miracle!)

Some teaser action screenshots:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1743/screenshotdoom200911032a.png
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8122/screenshotdoom200911032.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8122/screenshotdoom200911032.png
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8122/screenshotdoom200911032.png

Basically this is my first playable map for Doom. Any kind of feedback is welcome :)

E: Broken links, oops.

Wait, are you asking us if we like imageshack or gstone? :p I like Gstone. I think Gstone maps have great atmosphere. They seem to be conducive to puzzles, too. Dungeons. Dank and demon ridden.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

GSTONEx is definitely not my favorite texture set.

I both love and hate GSTONE. I think it looks great with wood and metal themes. But since I'm so picky and obsessed with map aesthetics, it's a huge pain the ass for me to deal with when aligning it. So I try to stay away from using it unless I'm prepared to spend hours aligning it to make it look pretty :P

I should look into trying to make a GSTONE set that uses 32px high bricks...

Heh I like using GSTONE. It's not that hard to align... if you have the patience, but it pays off well! It's very versatile, a lot of things can be done with GSTONE. That's what I like about it the most.

And Mechadon, why not? Give that a go, it would probably be hailed as a life saver. :P

I'm making some maps with SP_HOT1 at the moment, which is just GSTONE in red. It's easy enough once you learn the brick heights. 100 high sectors are your friend :P I'm also liberally throwing around breaking features like pillars to make alignment easier.

I think the STARTANs are more painful to align than GSTONE/SP_HOT.

I'm weird. I like Hell themed maps but I find myself always making tech themed maps because the textures feel more uniform and easy to use. Hell textures always seem to be so sporadic and odd-shaped or tile weird.

GSTONE isn't really one of them but I often steer away from it anyway.

Looks pretty decent. The floor in the third shot looks kind of retarded though. Might look better with the lava-rock bits recessed down a couple units.

GSTONE is great, I like how its five rows of bricks are sized, so they can easily form a mosaic if I use it on different sidedef heights. Alignment hasn't been an issue for me, really. Also, the topmost bricks can be used as sides for that DEM* flat with large square marble tiles.

Mechadon said:

I both love and hate GSTONE. I think it looks great with wood and metal themes. But since I'm so picky and obsessed with map aesthetics, it's a huge pain the ass for me to deal with when aligning it. So I try to stay away from using it unless I'm prepared to spend hours aligning it to make it look pretty :P

I made a GSTONE variant a while back that matches the brick sizes from STONE2/STONE3; it's in 32in24-7 if I remember right. It works nicely when mixed with STONE2/STONE3 like we had been doing in TSoZD, which it was originally created for, but when used by itself I can't help but feel like it just looks too plain and uniform for hell bricks, compared to the real deal.

And yeah, it's a pain to align, but it looks FANTASTIC when you build around it and rip the bricks out and keep it aligned properly, like Dutch Devil has done in a lot of his maps.

STARTAN is easy, you guys are whack.

ylermi said:

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/mygreatscreenshot.png

Mechadon said:

32px bricks are geigh... except bigbrik (but far less exuberant and charming than Gstone). Half the charm of gstone is its irregular' non patterned height bricks--each brick layer a different thickness. The loss of character, shape and quirkiness in maps and textures in the name of even, square grid conforming ordered 'perfection' of the kagillion sidefs philosophy to detailing is the road to an atmosphere that is akin to a stale, sterile hospital room. But I have a totally different philosophy toward doom aesthetics than of the kagillion sidefs philosophy.

esselfortium said:

Lol, point taken. :D

Anyway, thanks for the (little) feedback, maybe I'll have some more screenshots for your viewing pleasure tomorrow. Maybe even a complete, playable map? Who knows.

About GSTONE, I think it's not really that hard to align. As long as you avoid accidental auto aligns after spending some time aligning the textures by hand. :D

esselfortium said:

I made a GSTONE variant a while back that matches the brick sizes from STONE2/STONE3; it's in 32in24-7 if I remember right. It works nicely when mixed with STONE2/STONE3 like we had been doing in TSoZD, which it was originally created for, but when used by itself I can't help but feel like it just looks too plain and uniform for hell bricks, compared to the real deal.

Oh, I'll have to check that out then. I never noticed it before. Though you are probably right; a 32px high set wouldn't nearly as good as the original. I suppose the more haphazard arrangement of the original texture is part of it's appeal.

dutch devil said:

GSTONE doesn't have any secrets for me anymore, I have used it alot. Its one on the best doom textures.

Your 1024 maps made that quite apparent :P. I would have lost my mind if I had to align the GSTONE in that map. But your right, it looks amazing and it is a great texture.

Thanks, it was an time consuming process. You have to create the map architecture around the wierd brick sizes.

Is there also GSTONE with brick sizes of 64X32 and/or 32X16, that would make aligning alot easier.

In that first screenshot with the metal grating in the left corner, the lower texture around it should be METAL for consistency.

Otherwise everything looks good so far.