Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

Hypertension [Trailer]

For everyone interested....Hypertension is the game based on the EDGE engine which is recreating Blood.

THE TRAILER IS OUT!!
Get ready for a bloodbath!

I would appreciate comments/ratings if you guys have time! And I cannot embed the video due to agreement with DieHard for at least a week.

Also, all the live action stuff in that was filmed by us - we're releasing an extended trailer version next week after DieHard lets us that'll contain over 10+ minutes of live-action/gameplay stuff.

Gamefan magazine will be publishing an exclusive huge interview/screens/more content so I'll keep you all updated!

Would love to hear thoughts/opinions!

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I will download this for Dreamcast and PC the moment they hit the net.

Looks good. I really enjoyed Blood. If the level design in this is half as good as Blood's original episodes, you've got yourself a fan.

Nomad said:

Looks good. I really enjoyed Blood. If the level design in this is half as good as Blood's original episodes, you've got yourself a fan.

If any of you know Fiend from these forums - expect greatness. The levels are superb so far, some of the most amazing ones I've seen in any Doom engine project. ^^

And thank you for all the kind words, we've really worked hard on this. For anyone wondering it uses the EDGE source port. Hopefully it will show some of you guys that EDGE isn't bowed out of the game yet ;)

That was a delicious trailer you got there. Man if my Dreamcast wasn't dead, I would SSSSOOOO play this on it but too bad it isn't working anymore :( Anyway, looking forward for the release of this.

Not really a trailer, but just a demonstration of it in beta.

Also, I generally don't post in old HT topics or create new ones as they usually get trolled within 24 hours. Also, a bit of the video has the sound disabled because the ambient noise was causing clipping in the video capture.

Oooh, looks nice. Certainly looks like Blood -- here's to hoping it feels like it, too. ;)

Wow, you built some maps for ZBlood! Some people thought ZBlood was a bad imitation of Blood but you've managed to take it a step further by making a bad imitation of ZBlood! Is there any game or mod out there that you haven't taken ideas or resources from?

You've taken Blood, ZBlood, Blood 2, Transfusion, and assorted DOOM mods, and thrown them all together while claiming that its a brand new game that you created! I'll admit that adding your own bugs to all of these "borrowed" resources is certainly impressive, but recording it all on videos and asking people to enjoy it is really asking a lot.

einstein said:

Wow, you built some maps for ZBlood! Some people thought ZBlood was a bad imitation of Blood but you've managed to take it a step further by making a bad imitation of ZBlood! Is there any game or mod out there that you haven't taken ideas or resources from?

You've taken Blood, ZBlood, Blood 2, Transfusion, and assorted DOOM mods, and thrown them all together while claiming that its a brand new game that you created! I'll admit that adding your own bugs to all of these "borrowed" resources is certainly impressive, but recording it all on videos and asking people to enjoy it is really asking a lot.

I'm surprised how long it took for a troll to appear. Especially since it's a troll who hasn't made a post on Doomworld since the last time he trolled a Hypertension post. I'd go into exactly why you're wrong, but I'm fresh out of troll food until my next check comes in. Go back to The Postmortem.

"Trolling"? Honestly?

This is a nifty Blood-themed Doom TC.

This is not a new game. The assets are lifted from Blood, a commercial game that you did not make. Yes, the levels are new; hence it's a TC rather than a remake. (The levels are new, right? When everything else is ripped, it's hard to tell or quite honestly to even care anymore.)

Chu's decision to promote this Blood-themed mod as a new, original game is an insult to game developers and a mockery of copyright law.

My question all along has been how you can release something as "freeware" when the your product has almost no original content.

Fiend said:

I'd go into exactly why you're wrong, but I'm fresh out of troll food until my next check comes in. Go back to The Postmortem.

I agree, calling everyone who criticizes your work "trolls" and plugging your ears is much better than listening to what the target audience has to say. The attitudes and egos of the team members, the ripped resources; I smell a dead Caco...

Fiend said:

I'm surprised how long it took for a troll to appear. Especially since it's a troll who hasn't made a post on Doomworld since the last time he trolled a Hypertension post. I'd go into exactly why you're wrong, but I'm fresh out of troll food until my next check comes in. Go back to The Postmortem.

You think that providing honest opinions is trolling? If you don't want to hear anything negative then don't post on the internet. It's funny that you can never deny anything negative, so you'll always insult anyone that doesn't support you, by calling them trolls or other names.

I see a whole lot of other people's work in "your" project and I'll admit that I don't care for the fact that you keep promoting it all as a brand new game that you're creating. But that certainly doesn't make me a troll, and it doesn't change the fact that almost everything in your game is "borrowed" from somewhere else.

Here's the problem:

I say that einstein is a troll because all but two of his five or six posts on Doomworld were made to slam HT. He uses the same rhetoric and bullshit that Kurt Fuhr does.

I understand that Corbin's labeling it as a "new game" aggravates people, which is why I don't call it that. Talk to him about it.

As for new content in HT, all of the levels are new and I'm working on plenty of new models for weapons and scenery.

As far as I know, the only place Hypertension takes from without permission is the Blood series. Other resources are granted with permission.

Einstein came here and made a post that basically called HT a ripoff of ZBlood, which I find to be an unfair assessment.

Fiend: Don't use the Report post feature for things like this (do you really think this post fits the description in big red letters letters that came up?). Normally any abuse of this feature would result in a losering, but I'm feeling generous. Other moderators might not. (Do you realize how many people get sent these reports? It's meant for utter emergencies, in so far as that is possible in a forum.)

Fiend said:

As far as I know, the only place Hypertension takes from without permission is the Blood series.

OK, so the criticism is fair then?!

I really don't understand why a good mapper like yourself should want to get involved in a project by a congenital bullshitter like Chu. Did you stop to check his track record?

Fiend said:

As far as I know, the only place Hypertension takes from without permission is the Blood series. Other resources are granted with permission.

Not to be brusque, but wouldn't that constitute the entire game? If it uses Blood's story and Blood's graphical assets what could it be but Blood with new levels?

Grazza said:

Fiend: Don't use the Report post feature for things like this (do you really think this post fits the description in big red letters letters than came up?). Normally any abuse of this feature would result in a losering, but I'm feeling generous.
OK, so the criticism is fair then?! I really don't understand why a good mapper like yourself should want to get involved in a project by a congenital bullshitter like Chu.

I wanted to make a good project. I'm a fan of Blood, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. The maps that are done are, in my opinion, fun. This is why I've stuck with it this long. If it was crap I would have abandoned it. Chu's contributions to this project are so few and far between at this point that his influence on Hypertension is very slight.

Bank said:

Not to be brusque, but wouldn't that constitute the entire game? If it uses Blood's story and Blood's graphical assets what could it be but Blood with new levels?

It's not quite that simple. It's not a remake of Blood in the same style that Transfusion is. It doesn't try to recreate everything from Blood exactly because this would be frustrating and ultimately futile, so instead of recreating it exactly, I'm aiming to do it in a way that's still as fun (or nearly as fun) as Blood. It is, in my view, a Blood-themed project for EDGE.

To Grazza:

Fiend isn't the one who resurrected the thread, I was. He is, for the most part, simply defending his work. I had hoped it would be seen as a Blood TC using the edge port, but obviously that's not going to happen here as it had in November. My apologies to The Doomworld Staff and community for any upset caused.

Fiend said:

It's not quite that simple. It's not a remake of Blood in the same style that Transfusion is. It doesn't try to recreate everything from Blood exactly because this would be frustrating and ultimately futile, so instead of recreating it exactly, I'm aiming to do it in a way that's still as fun (or nearly as fun) as Blood. It is, in my view, a Blood-themed project for EDGE.

I feel that there is an enormous difference between "Blood-themed" and Blood. You answered none of my criticism, if your project contributes nothing new but an engine switch and original levels I would say that the vast majority of the content is Blood. If the sprites, the sounds, the atmosphere, and textures are taken without permission from Blood then the only thing about this project that isn't Blood is the level creation which is entirely rendered null by the fact that the levels are populated with exclusively Blood resources. It is scarcely more of a new game than a sourceport.

Chu said:

For everyone interested....Gamefan magazine will be publishing an exclusive huge interview/screens/more content so I'll keep you all updated!

So they're interviewing you about practically recreating an old game in an even older game? How enthralling. Also, out of morbid curiosity, why is this being ported to like 10 different consoles?

I always did find it kinda strange why all the Blood assets have been ported over to EDGE rather than just using Build (though I suppose the fact that no source ports are available for it is a huge point). Doesn't really matter to me how it's labeled, really -- if it's fun, I'll play it.

Still, I can foresee a "Most Infamous Wads Vol. 2" resulting from this, if nothing else. :P

zZaRDoZz said:

Fiend isn't the one who resurrected the thread, I was.

You misunderstand. He used the Report post feature, and this is what I was commenting on, not the thread resurrection (which is often justified in cases where there is something significant and new with a project).

Bank said:

I feel that there is an enormous difference between "Blood-themed" and Blood. You answered none of my criticism, if your project contributes nothing new but an engine switch and original levels I would say that the vast majority of the content is Blood. If the sprites, the sounds, the atmosphere, and textures are taken without permission from Blood then the only thing about this project that isn't Blood is the level creation which is entirely rendered null by the fact that the levels are populated with exclusively Blood resources.

It's not populated exclusively with Blood resources. I've been working on new models for new weapons and enemies, which is a slow process as I'll reject most of them since I've only started working with Milkshape and I don't want to put shitty models in.

I'll grant you that Blood resources do heavily contribute the Blood atmosphere, but at the same time the project seeks to be a tribute to Blood.

brinks said:

So they're interviewing you about practically recreating an old game in an even older game? How enthralling. Also, out of morbid curiosity, why is this being ported to like 10 different consoles?

This is something I can't answer. At first, I understood why Chu wanted to port it to the dreamcast, as he's a sega fan, but the amount of work it would take to create the 32x version on the Doom 32x code is something that is impossible as it would just be a doom clone with Blood resources. Ditto on the idea for a Nintendo DS port, which somehow turned into a full-fledged port after I'd fucked around with porting a level once. There's something that needs to be understood about Chu which is that he has unrealistic expectations of how far a project can go.

Xaser said:

I always did find it kinda strange why all the Blood assets have been ported over to EDGE rather than just using Build (though I suppose the fact that no source ports are available for it is a huge point). Doesn't really matter to me how it's labeled, really -- if it's fun, I'll play it.

Still, I can foresee a "Most Infamous Wads Vol. 2" resulting from this, if nothing else. :P

I feel that Build is still very limited compared to EDGE. EDGE's scripting has produced some really cool stuff so far. There are no source ports for Blood, and there is a project called Cradle to Grave that attempts to port Blood to eduke32.

As for the second part, I was hoping to avoid that since I assumed most people were apathetic towards HT.

Overall, it is my opinion that HT's use of the resources is in a reverential way and that the new additions to it such as the models, levels, and the great deal of scripted aspects place it above the level of a resource-grab project.

Bank said:

You answered none of my criticism

Fiend and his team never answer criticism. They either insult people or talk in circular logic.

Aside from the new maps, almost everything else is taken directly from Blood, Blood 2, Transfusion, and other assorted DOOM mods. It looks like ZBlood to me, but its being promoted as a brand new game. That exclusive interview was actually self made propaganda created by Fiend and his team, and the hope was at one time to create a commercial sequel called Hypertension 2.

The Hypertension team doesn't seem to want to talk about those commercial plans any more.

Brinks:

Also, out of morbid curiosity, why is this being ported to like 10 different consoles?

Some people like older consoles. It's not in my interest to judge people for what their particular tastes are when it comes to harmless fun. I doubt anything but dreamcast and maybe a couple others will be ported to though.

Fiend said:

There's something that needs to be understood about Chu which is that he has unrealistic expectations of how far a project can go.

Honest question; with someone like that in charge of the project, can you realistically see this ever being released?