Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alando1

Sprite modifications question

Question, can anyone tell me what the best art program to use for a sprite re-color is? I'm currently working on some skins and I don't want to have to use DeeP Sea all the time for sprite modifications. If anyone has a good suggestion, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

-Alando1

Ok... not many suggestions, eh? If there is anyone who can recommend an art program that I can use to edit sprites, I really would appreciate it.

alando1 said:

Ok... not many suggestions, eh? If there is anyone who can recommend an art program that I can use to edit sprites, I really would appreciate it.

On a less serious note, MSPaint.

rf` said:

XWE is not an art program.

It can do palette swaps.

I'd recommend the GIMP. It's free and reasonably powerful. Contrarily to Paint, it does handle transparency. And layers. And a lot of undos/redos.

Go with either Photoshop, GIMP, or Paint.NET.

As for adding your sprites, I HIGHLY recommend Slumped. Everytime i use XWE it screws up something, so Slumped is the way to go for that.

XWE does have some image editing tools. Not much, but they are there. It's great for doing work on existing doom palleted images. When in editing mode, press 1 over the pixel you want to change to the selected colour. 2 will do the next colour in the index without switching the chosen colour. It's also great for changing sets of colours too.

Otherwise, the suggestions in this thread will work.

Wow, a lot of great options. I thank all of you for your suggestions. I'll probably try a little bit of each. Once again thank you all for your help.

-Alando1

My intuition tells me that you might be doing something for (G)ZDoom. In that case recoloring sprites would be certainly unnecessary, because Decorate's translation works fine. Apart from that -- Photoshop. It does everything.

(If you're one of those who "dooesn't like" or "doesn't want to look into it" -- face it, Photoshop is necessary)

To reply to your assumption, Jekyll, I'm mainly working on skins for the player. Of course I am quite aware of the DECORATE translation system but as I said, I need a program to help me with sprite modifications (aside from using DeeP Sea) mainly to use for skin creations. But I do thank you for an art program suggestion. I am going to look into Photoshop as a program I am willing to get soon.

Vegeta said:

I suggest Pain Shop Pro, it's easy to use and very versatile.

It just sounds painful to me.

Vegeta said:

I suggest Pain Shop Pro, it's easy to use and very versatile.

Is that a masochist's version of Paint Shop Pro?