Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agar

Doomed Again - A high-res sprites mod for Doom (and more...)

reki107 said:also, is the flashlight toggleable? [/B]

That's a good idea. I don't know if I will be able to implement this in EDGE, though. Worth a try...

Reptile said:

Maybe for an alt attacks:
For fists could swing the right arm?
Chainsaw quick slashes or something?
With Dual pistols one button shoots one gun, whilst altattack shoots the other?

I don't know, probably bad ideas but meh.

Actually, the chainsaw slash attack is a great idea! I'll implement this tomorrow.

I don't know about the other two: IMHO, they seem too similar to the original (primary) attack.

For the pistol/dual pistols, I thought about a faster but less accurate attack with the marine holding the gun(s) sideways (something a bit like this).

I'm doing my best to get a beta version ready as soon as possible. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is this a standalone EXE or is this a modification using a source port (ZDoom, EDGE, etc)?

Also, the mapping looks similar to the editor I wrote for DarkDoom while I was making it, since I figure the map editing is object oriented?

Also, I find it isn't 'doomy' enough, but thats probably a good thing since if it was the legal police on here (you know who you are) would chase you down.

Good luck on the project!

Avery

Some nitpicking:
the pistols recoil is a little over the top. It gives the impression that the player is not used to handling firearms and by the looks of his arms he doesn't seem very beefy either. Also isn't the demon and baron supposed to be red or pink? I don't think they look very good in purple, they seem a bit goofy.

CeeJay said:

Some nitpicking:
the pistols recoil is a little over the top. It gives the impression that the player is not used to handling firearms and by the looks of his arms he doesn't seem very beefy either. Also isn't the demon and baron supposed to be red or pink? I don't think they look very good in purple, they seem a bit goofy.

I know about the pistols recoil, it's a design choice. Although I like weapons to behave realistically in tactical shooters such as Raven Shield, I like them to have an over the top behavior in arcade shooters. As someone said in a videogames forum (I don't remember who, when or where it was) : "I can't feel the power of the gun in my hand, so I want to feel it in my eyes and my ears.". But you're not the first to tell me that the recoil, even if it is supposed to be exaggerated, is exaggerated too much, so I guess I'll tone it down a little. :)

Regarding the demon and baron, they're not fully done yet, that's why they look bad. The only monster complete as of gameplay video #2 is the imp (even though I still have to add the blood on the death frames).

Thanks for your comments.

While I'm here, here are renders of the revenant and the heavy weapon dude (which looks more like his Doom 3 counterpart than the original)

Agar said:
That's a good idea. I don't know if I will be able to implement this in EDGE, though. Worth a try...

Yes, this is possible. Since the pistol has no secondary attack (or if you aren't doing one yourself) you can program the flashlight in an alternate attack. That way it would be toggleable.

If you need help with that I have some spare time.

The Commando looks horrific (in best kind of sence) The Revenant looks good too but the torso and head look a little too big in contrast to the bones (arms and legs) in my eyes.

Chu said:

Yes, this is possible. Since the pistol has no secondary attack (or if you aren't doing one yourself) you can program the flashlight in an alternate attack. That way it would be toggleable.

If you need help with that I have some spare time.

Of course I can do it that way, but then the player would have to keep the "secondary attack" button pressed to keep the flashlight on. I would like to have a "toggle" button.

The only way of doing this in EDGE (as far as I know), is to have the secondary attack call a RTS script which toggles a "flashlight on/off" boolean (stored as an invisible ammo type in the player's inventory). Then, if/when the flashlight is on, a "spare attack" would be called (that would fire the flashlight beam from the player with the correct angle) through RTS scripts by each frame of the weapon.

Sounds possible, but it's gonna be a big, ugly, disgusting hack...

Anyway, that's how I did the night vision goggles. :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

If you are able to get a beta release out, would you be inclined towards releasing the editor along with it? It's a very unique concept (for Doom maps anyway) and I'd love to give it a try as soon as possible.

Mr. Chris said:

Can we have at least an option to turn infighting on and off for this?

Don't count on it. Monster infighting means "more angles for attack/pain for ALL monsters".

The monster sprites are pretty high-res and adding that many new frames would make the download a lot bigger. More importantly, that would greatly increase the amount of video RAM required to precache all sprites.

Fisk said:

If you are able to get a beta release out, would you be inclined towards releasing the editor along with it? It's a very unique concept (for Doom maps anyway) and I'd love to give it a try as soon as possible.

Sure! As the editor will probably need lots of fixes and improvements, I'd like to have as many bughunters as possible. :)

OMG
this is so much better than doom 3

can't wait for the final version

oh and btw.

the torso of the revenant is GIGANTIC. a little smaller :)

i would love an archvile render

EpicDuke said:

OMG
this is so much better than doom 3

can't wait for the final version

oh and btw.

the torso of the revenant is GIGANTIC. a little smaller :)

i would love an archvile render

Honestly, it's not better than Doom 3 visually. It's way uglier...

Gameplay-wise, that's another story. If you like mass-murdering imps, you're gonna be happy. And some areas are very scary too. I'm trying to merge the best from Doom 1/2 (intense arcade action) and 3 (great atmosphere), but that's not an easy task.

Here's the archvile. I think it looks terrible, but it's not done yet.

For now it looks like a bunch of Doom 3-parodying textures and very, very plain architecture. And can't you make models for weapons, then? The whole idea of hires sprites is quite pointless, actually. Then again, I don't know if EDGE supports that. Then again, I doubt that making a big mod for EDGE only is a good idea at all. By far not the most popular engine, you know.

The most important point is, however, that darkness is a BAD idea. Doom 3 sucked mostly because of idiotic darkness, which never made it anyhow scary, but very boring. Also, it's a bad idea to make flashlight by launching an object with attached dynamic lighting at the point where the crosshair points. Flashlight emits a wave of light, not a point of light. And the distance is limited. So, in general, for now it seems like you need at least a mapper. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong, and the layout is so boring just because it's an alpha.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

For now it looks like a bunch of Doom 3-parodying textures and very, very plain architecture. And can't you make models for weapons, then? The whole idea of hires sprites is quite pointless, actually. Then again, I don't know if EDGE supports that. Then again, I doubt that making a big mod for EDGE only is a good idea at all. By far not the most popular engine, you know.

The most important point is, however, that darkness is a BAD idea. Doom 3 sucked mostly because of idiotic darkness, which never made it anyhow scary, but very boring. Also, it's a bad idea to make flashlight by launching an object with attached dynamic lighting at the point where the crosshair points. Flashlight emits a wave of light, not a point of light. And the distance is limited. So, in general, for now it seems like you need at least a mapper. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong, and the layout is so boring just because it's an alpha.

SHUN THE NON BELIEVER

SHUUUUUUUUUN

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Then again, I doubt that making a big mod for EDGE only is a good idea at all. By far not the most popular engine, you know.

I guess it's not wise to mod for Doom then period. You know, because it isn't the most popular engine these days.

Seriously though, you underestimate EDGE's capabilities. So it doesn't have multiplayer, whatever. You don't use EDGE to play Doom anyway - it's purely an engine for mod enthusiasts. While Zdoom's crowd has it easy with well documented and an ever growing army of features, we have to twist and tug at EDGE to get the results we want, and it's far more satisfying than anything else out there gives us.

Just take a look at Hypertension. That game and this mod are two shining examples of what EDGE is capable of doing nowadays. Give it a chance. Just because EDGE isn't popular doesn't mean the end result won't totally kick ass.

;)

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Wow. Lots of things to say here.

First of all, you're right. Architecture IS plain, the flashlight IS primitive and EDGE ISN'T a popular engine.

Now if I wanted realistic lightning, advanced architecture and a popular engine, I'd have worked with the Quake 3 engine (or maybe even the Doom 3 one). But cutting-edge graphics and level layout is not the point of this mod. Why do you think I spent WEEKS designing my own level editor when Doombuilder, the greatest piece of code ever written for Doom, is just a click away?

Yes, the layout is simple, because that's the point. I want to go back to the roots of first-person shooters: door, monster, medikit. I'm not saying advanced architecture is a bad thing, I know I drool over the incredibly detailed maps new games have. What I'm saying is that gameplay and monster/item placement is what mappers should focus on (particularly when mapping for old games such as Doom), not architecture. And with my editor, anyone without any experience in mapping can create an interesting map with lots of stuff that would require scripting in other editors (dynamic texture change, triggers for ambience sounds and monster spawning, just to name a few) in less than an hour.

Now why EDGE? Because EDGE allows a lot of things that other sourceports don't.

And not all levels are so dark. I'll post a new video soon to demonstrate this (the game has gone a looonng way since the last videos).

I'm still not sure about the levels. It's not just that 90 levels is a lot to make. It's also the fact that 90 levels are a lot to play through, maybe even too much. It takes me a pretty long time to play through a 30 level megawad. It'd probably take me months to play through a 90 level megawad, and I'm not sure I could stand to play it that long.

Craigs said:

I'm still not sure about the levels. It's not just that 90 levels is a lot to make. It's also the fact that 90 levels are a lot to play through, maybe even too much. It takes me a pretty long time to play through a 30 level megawad. It'd probably take me months to play through a 90 level megawad, and I'm not sure I could stand to play it that long.

I had a similar idea regarding a megawad that was longer than the normal 30 - 36 levels found in typical Doom megawads and I was told the same thing. I definitely agree with this.

Maybe split it up into episodic downloads for those who'd rather play through it 30 levels at a time? I think if it was done this way, feedback could be given on the first of the episodes and that can be used to improve upon the current episode and to improve on future episodes.

Once all the levels/episodes have been completed and optimized, then if Agar still wants to, he could make a download with all 90 levels for those (like myself) who would play through the entire thing.

Just a suggestion.