Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Unreal Development Kit released

Did not see that coming in the least. Isn't UE3 still like the most used engine in current generation games, period? This is... bizarre, and refreshing that they would even consider doing this.

I'd like UE3 more if everything didn't look like it was made out of fucking plastic.

Mr. Freeze said:

I'd like UE3 more if everything didn't look like it was made out of fucking plastic.

That's one of my complaints with a number of modern engines. I'd say the Doom3 engined games that I've played suffer more from it though and the UE3 isn't too bad. Mind you. I'd describe things in Doom3 engined games as looking more "waxy" than plasticy (esp Prey) but... yeah...

Interesting release.

I heard that they were going to release something soon relating to Unreal. I was hoping it would be Unreal 3, but this is just as good.

Call it whatever you want but don't call it free. The EULA on that thing is a steaming pile of lawyer refuse. They could sue you if you upload your mod onto a web page and as a result make money off the banner ads, from what I'm reading.

Quasar said:
Call it whatever you want but don't call it free.

To understand the concept, you should think of free as in free beer, not as in free speech.

OGRE is pretty nice looking as is, I thought?

Sauerbraten has the potential to look really nice too. The models for it are pretty cheesy looking, and a majority of the patches/textures are low res and hokey, but otherwise with some high quality content, it could come close to rivaling UE3... Maybe.

Also I remember seeing some sequel to Quake Tenebrae that was gorgeous, looking as good as Doom 3 if not better. I dont' remember what it was though, and I'm sure it was never completed.

From what I understand there's a lot of elements "under the hood", so to speak, that Ogre is still deficient with. They're also trying to get better support from hardware manufacturers, too.