Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Holy shit [Texas shootings]

Mr. Freeze said:

Lets hope that the body count doesn't rise any further.

It won't, the shooter has been shot. He was an army major. It's not known yet why he went postal. 12 dead (shooter included) and 31 wounded.

Insanity. Hopefully it isn't used as an excuse to chisel away at more freedoms.

Also, Fox's website seems to need JavaScript just to format paragraphs properly.

Cone said the injuries "vary significantly" among the victims wounded in the shooting.

This is a horrible tragedy, but this is also horrible writing. It doesn't need to be said, with 42 victims, that the injuries vary significantly. Obviously in that kind of situation, this will be the case. Why the author felt the need to include that statement is beyond me. It adds absolutely nothing to the story, and seems utterly pointless.

I really wouldn't even like to bring it up, it's just that that particular sentence completely brought me out of the story and disrupted the emotion for me.

Yes let's talk about the way the article was written. That's what matters.

This crap sucks. I don't know how to emphasize that statement properly so I won't try.

SHIT, a few of my friends are stationed there. I hope they're okay. My condolences to the victims and their families. :(

What a shame. A real disgrace to the military.

May the victims rest in peace. Hearts to the victims' families and friends.

God that's awful. I'll never understand why stuff like this happens. Why can't people learn to deal with their problems without violence?

Krispavera said:
Why can't people learn to deal with their problems without violence?

If we could Fort Hood wouldn't exist :p

From what the news is saying this guy could have been an infiltrated attacker (or suicide terrorist) or someone who felt so strongly that the occupation of Iraq was extremely immoral or detrimental that he reacted this way to his scheduled deployment there. And curiously it seems he was a mental health professional.

It sounds like he had been in the Army for a number of years (he got his Psychiatry degree while serving), so it seems unlikely he would be an infiltrator. He was recently transferred to Ft. Hood from the Walter Reed Medical Center, and one story I read had a source claiming that he had gotten a poor performance review before the transfer.

Lizardcommando said:

I hope the shooter's corpse is disgraced.

What the fuck does this mean? He's dead; it doesn't matter what you do to his body.

exp(x) said:

What the fuck does this mean? He's dead; it doesn't matter what you do to his body.

I basically means I would like to see him burned to a stake. BUt hey, he's dead, so whatever. Just feed him to some alligators or bears or lions or something.

Oh yeah, I just heard something on TV saying the gunman is apparently alive. Is he captured or is he still on the loose?

There's an update and the shooter is alive but wounded with 4 gunshot injuries. Let's hope they can get some information out of him before he expires (if in critical condition).

AndrewB said:

Yes let's talk about the way the article was written. That's what matters.

It matters a lot. The criticism was perfectly valid.

What I want to know is why someone who had apparently stated that suicide bombers blowing themselves up was equivalent to someone jumping on a grenade to save their fellow soldiers, that Muslims had every right to rise up against the US, supported attacks on US soldiers, and had been heard to voice these opinions in the presence of other US military personnel was not tried for treason, let alone recently promoted to Major. Yes he was Muslim, but that doesn't matter, the fact that he identified with and supported the people we are fighting should've been grounds for a court martial and a discharge at the very least. It's a terrible tragedy, and it should've been caught well beforehand. I understand he was under investigation for some comments on a blog that was believed to belong to him, however even before that he had openly made comments supporting Islamic extremists. That should've been grounds for immediate dismissal.
I'm also rather intrigued by the change in events through the day. At first there were three suspects, two were captured. Then there was one, who was in a standoff with SWAT, and who was apparently using a high powered rifle. Then there were two suspects captured, one dead. Then there was one suspect who was dead. Then there was one suspect who was actually alive, and had been using two handguns. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
Regardless, this is a horrible thing to have happened. I feel terrible for all the families affected by this incident and wish them only the best.

My condolences to the victims and their families. I'm not going to have much of an opinion on this until they can figure out for sure what went on.

geekmarine said:

disrupted the emotion for me.

What? Are you reading it because you like how it makes you feel? News stories should be in it for the facts, not the thrills.

The worst part?

Both sides of the political spectrum are going to exploit this for all it's worth. I turn on the radio and what do I hear? "Obama said blah blah blah". No one cares that soldiers died, everyone just wants to sneak in a cheap shot.

Caucasian male goes nuts, screams scripture, shoots up the place. Man, How many times is this shit going to go down?

And to think he was a psychiatrist of some sort... What the hell? That's the scariest part about all of this.

fraggle said:

Hey, it was good enough for the guys who killed Charles I.

Holy shit, this x1000. I remember reading about William Goffe and how he was lucky to survive in America. Posthumous execution is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.