Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starke Von Oben

Student who urinated on war memorial facing jail

Apparently, he wasn't politically motivated or anything of that sort; he was just drunk and out of his mind, and was ashamed of it afterwards.

... A slap on the wrist with community service, anything more is too harsh.

If he hadn't urinated on a war memorial, he would have had it easier (or not at all). But now he will have to face quite a bit of lobbying from the many veteran associations (the poppies are associated with war veterans, which are known not to take kindly any sort of offence to their symbol), and with Remembrance day approaching (11/11) the timing couldn't really have been worse (well, except for pissing during 11/11).

It's pretty much like urinating on the 9/11 memorial, to understand the gravity of his position. Too much backlash to ignore, even if he has a damn good lawyer, and one too many "concerned patriots" willing to "set things right" one way or another.

Come on you guys, clearly this guy is an anti-American Obama hater. This is a clear act of terrorism and should be punished to the full extent of the law. People don't take things like this seriously enough. First we let people piss on our beloved war memorials, what next, opening up an outhouse for Al-Quaeda on the statue of liberty? Where does it all end. I'd give this guy the death penalty if I could.
[/sarcasm]

EDIT: I didn't notice that (1) this wasn't in the US and (2)I'm not actually REoL

I think jailtime is a bit harsh of a punishment, maybe a fine and probation would be better AND to keep the jailhouses with one less petty offender clogging the system.

I'm surprised he got to the memorial before the bulldozers knocked it down and built 20 houses in it's place to be honest.

deathbringer said:

I'm surprised he got to the memorial before the bulldozers knocked it down and built 20 houses in it's place to be honest.

Lol'd, and so utterly true.

Coopersville said:

Well, indecent exposure, public urination, public mischief and sedition are all crimes...

Indeed.

As to him being drunk, if the guy were to get drunk and shoot a man, his punishment would be no lighter. Not to mention getting in a car accident while drunk usually pushes the sentence higher.

Aliotroph? said:

Talk about offenses against freedom! Those cops and the judge should be ashamed of themselves.

Last time i checked getting drunk and pissing on public property on public was not protected by freedom of speech.

No, but they're making it worse for him because it was a war memorial. That's wrong. Those things should be no more sacred in law than any other public property.

Doom Marine said:

Apparently, he wasn't politically motivated or anything of that sort; he was just drunk and out of his mind, and was ashamed of it afterwards.

... A slap on the wrist with community service, anything more is too harsh.

Here in the States, you'd also have to register as a Sex Offender as well.

He should go to jail, a short stint, but defacing a memorial, and drunk in public are jailable. Should've known better.

Drunk in public I can understand and he is certainly guilty of. Defacing a memorial, they'd have to prove intent.

Maes said:

If he hadn't urinated on a war memorial, he would have had it easier (or not at all).

In Scotland (don't know about England), urinating in public is normally subject to what the police around here colloquially call a "pishers ticket". This is a standard £40 fine issued on the spot by a cop. If however, the "pisher" decides he wan't accept the ticket, then it can go to court etc and the financial cost will usually be higher, but a custodial sentence is highly unlikely.

BTW, the interaction with a ticket refuser can go something like this:

Cop spots pisher and taps him on the shoulder then steps clear.
Pisher steps back and starts fumbling with his cock, probably pissing on himself and perhaps shovelling his "John Thomas" back into his trousers whilst it is still issuing forth. (Score one for the cop.)

Cop: OK fella, I'm going to issue you with a ticket and a £40 fine.
Pisher: I'm nae acceptin' that.
Cop: Fair enough. Then I guess it's more serious.
Pisher: Aye, fit are you goin' te dee then? (Yeah, what are you going to do about it?)
Cop: Well, it looks as if I may have to charge you under the sexual offences act and you will probably be put on the sex offender's register.
Pisher: What?
Cop: Well, I did see you standing around in a busy public place, holding on to your penis and waggling it around. What other conclusion can I come to?
Pisher: I'll take the ticket.

Yeah, one of my mates is a cop. LOL

Nomad said:

Drunk in public I can understand and he is certainly guilty of. Defacing a memorial, they'd have to prove intent.

Recklessness (being drunk in public) is a form of mens rea.

DuckReconMajor said:
As to him being drunk, if the guy were to get drunk and shoot a man, his punishment would be no lighter.

It's worse than a mere accident, yes, but hurting or killing people in cold meditated blood is a worse offense than doing so because one is intoxicated. Here, being drunk might be the cause instead of an ill intent to damage the memorial.

The idea that pissing on a symbol can somehow get you imprisoned in the 21st Century is shocking, despite how controversial or hurtful it may be to people. I'm not saying what he did was a good thing, then again I can't see what the big deal is.

Then again you need to look at the Judges of the UK, who are all exclusively from the upper classes and totally out of touch with the general public with whom they pass judgement on. It's almost impossible not to commit any kind of crime in New Labour's Totalitarian modern state anyway, with the prisons full to bursting. Britain is in my opinion a police state today. The police don't even need warrents to search your house, they can just turn up and enter unannounced if they feel like it. Slowly all forms of liberty and freedom have been scrapped under the notion of "health and safety" or "anti-terror".

You even need to ask the police now for a lisence/permit in order to protest outside Westminster now. WTF? I utterly detest new Labour, I consider them crypto-fascists with a dark agenda that involves infiltrating every aspect of public life in order to serve their desire to create the "ideal" society.

The UK makes up 20% of the world's CCTV Cameras - that's how bad it is.

Starke Von Oben said:

The police don't even need warrents to search your house, they can just turn up and enter unannounced if they feel like it.

[citation needed]

DuckReconMajor said:

As to him being drunk, if the guy were to get drunk and shoot a man, his punishment would be no lighter. Not to mention getting in a car accident while drunk usually pushes the sentence higher.

Oh lordy... Ever heard of "involuntary manslaughter", as opposed to "murder of the first degree"?

I've got a better idea, just shoot the disrespectful bastard, nothing showy; just take a bit off of his kneecap. No courts, no bullshit, just a permanent limp and better respect for the people that died for his freedom.

Starke Von Oben said:

You even need to ask the police now for a lisence/permit in order to protest outside Westminster now. WTF?

You seem to be drawing a pretty bleak picture there. AFAIK, you need a license to protest or mass rally pretty much anywhere, especially if you plan on interrupting/disrupting traffic. Also, most policemen in the UK are not even armed, while e.g. in the USA and in Greece (as well as Italy) they carry a holstered gun all the time, even municipal police, not just the "black clad ninja commando shock troopers" kind of cop.

As to how to deal with the police and how far they are empowered to reach.... this nifty article has a good deal of dos and donts, but the bottom line IMHO is this:

"In spite of what most of us have been taught all our lives, the policeman is not our friend (indeed, many xenophobic cops view the common citizenry with thinly veiled contempt, and perceive lawbreakers as subhuman). He is more like a force of nature, to be wary of and avoided whenever possible. "

fun fact: DW censors "Ir-regardless", which I had to replace with "In spite of" :/

Oh good god, I'm sick of people casting all this hatred towards the police. The police keep you safe. The police put the bad guys in jail. Sometimes things don't always work out perfectly, that's no reason to think that society can even function without them.

Maes said:

fun fact: DW censors "Ir-regardless", which I had to replace with "In spite of" :/

That is because it is not a real word and should be censored.

Georgef551 said:

Here in the States, you'd also have to register as a Sex Offender as well.

Really?