Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fritz442

Obhack 006.5 Released

Obhack 006.5 has been released

Obhack is a random map generator for Doom, Doom2 and Heretic.

As the current maintainer of Obhack, I will try to answer all questions and comments here on this post.

http://samiam.org/slump/

Secret spoiler on small maps and some minor bugs fixed.

Yeah, this version of obhack still kicks major ass in the gameplay department, imo.

I'm playing with these settings btw:

top:
doom2,limit removing,fullgame,singleplayer

left column starting from top:
large,swarms,some,more,keys+switches,skullkeys

right column starting from top:
medium,steep,less,less,basic

Those settings are very often more fun than the majority of maps people make by hand imo.. all the enemies feel like good proportions and its challenging/fun to blast through fast.

Ok, my suggestions usually end up sucking, so I'll just suggest some simple things (I'm not the creator of course so they're just suggestions; do whatever you want):

*'health' and 'ammo' = maybe put one more option that's even less than 'less' (I'm just basing that on how the most fun maps to me so far (based on the options I mentioned earlier) tend to be ones where you get in a reeeal pickle due to low ammo.

*start weapon = I'd change the word 'basic' to 'shotgun' and 'hardcore' to 'rocket launcher' (its just more descriptive and more clear, especially to people who are trying obhack for the first time; who cares if it sounds cooler). Also I'd add a 'berserk' option here (simply starts on top of the player start like the shotgun and rl do currently).

Were there any changes to the main LUA during this version's development?

SP_FACE1 as a main wall is going to produce the tutti-fruitti effect on walls taller than 96 units high on Boom ports.

EDIT: It seems my old 006.4 LUA works fine with .5 after removing all the Skulltag stuff (If to use a port other than that, that is..otherwise it would work fine.)

Thanks for the suggestions gggmork, I have added a Rare setting to the health and a Rare & None settings to ammo, Rare gives about half than the Less option.

As for the start weapon, I did change the wording to Shotgun & Launcher on a previous version but had issues with that for making maps for Heretic. I have made them Pistol-Wand, Shotgun-Bow,Launch-Rod. But of course this leaves out Hexen weapons, so these may change.
These will be in ver 6.6 and I'm currently working on some lighting options.

Mr. Chris, No major changes were done there. As for the SP_FACE1 texture I know this can produce unwanted effects sometimes but was only trying to give more visual options to the maps. I'm not the best at putting together textures but if this makes the maps unplayable, we can remove it. I use Doomsday and it doesn't seem to bad in that. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have an extensively altered LUA for Doom1/2 for use without any special source ports. It adds a significant amount of themes/hallways for both games so there is increased variation in textures that the program chooses when making a level.

Right here. I tested several levels and it appears to work normally. Feel free to copy-paste the themes that you added into the industrial section if you want.

Thank You Mr.Chris, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I will use these is the next version, with your permission.

Fritz442 said:

Thank You Mr.Chris, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I will use these is the next version, with your permission.

Yes, you may use it if you provide the credits for the modifications I have done. :7